preparedness/storage lists

Started by akemt, November 14, 2008, 01:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akemt

Anyone have some good, fairly detailed lists of what to store (beyond food which we have fairly covered) for hard times/emergencies?  I'm feeling the urge to get cracking on some goods storage.
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

StinkerBell

StinkerBell

Never thought of toilet paper, muldoon.

A very over looked but much needed item.

MountainDon

The best list for an individual/family would be made by looking at the past years purchases and deciding if an item is necessary or not. Or doing an inventory of what's on hand.  When I look over lists that have been prepared by others I find they invariably contain things we do not need.

Some say to begin with a 72 hour pack. If you look at past recent natural disasters I believe that's too short a period. A week is more realistic; two weeks even better, IMO. The biggest single problem for most would be potable water, especially for city and suburban dwellers. Few of those have their own wells. 1 to 2 gallons per person is recommended but that doesn't make any allowance for hygiene or cooking and rehydrating any dry food stuffs.

One good thing about homes with traditional style water heaters is that gives you a supply that is easy to tap if the municipal supply goes down. Ours is a 50 gallon. It is well insulated so it would take a while to cool off. One should turn off the gas or electric if using the tank as a water source.

If you plan on staying in the house if possible in an emergency, and if you have the room, there is something you can do to guarantee extra gallons on hand; something that may better than having a collection of barrels or jugs sitting there. That is installing one or two water tanks someplace within the house, plumbed into a main supply line. Fresh water will always be passing through the tank(s). If an emergency happens you'll have water. Plumb them with valves so they could be isolated; handy if the municipal supply becomes contaminated. The municipal could still be used for toilets, but the potable water would be ready in the tanks. Of course this doesn't help id you have to vacate; you'll need something else for that.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

If you have a warning and have a tub it could store a bunch of water also.. good for general uses.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

After just going tough a disaster the main thing is water,water,water.

When I was gone up the hill  the fire fighters used my water storage to flush my toilets >:(
But after they found out they brought me cases of water [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Redoverfarm

Whitlock I would say that water is the main item.  Without it we would not survive.  Funny in a way with all the advances in our society that is one thing that is always needed.  Other than food what else would a person need.

cordwood

The water heater thing is a good one to bring up, If you maintain your water heater it's fine to use as a storage tank, BUT! Most people don't drain them regularly  d*  and when they try to get water from the drain it comes out in clumps of rust if at all ???.
Just running a few gallons out twice a year (time change ;)) will usually keep the tank fairly clean, And also extend the life of the unit.
Another place I like to store water is in the freezer, If there is an empty space I stuff a container of water in it ;D, The freezer recuperates faster when it's full and if the power goes out for several hours it helps maintain temp.
As for food we can't keep food in the house during the best of times, If we had a real disaster here I would end up looking like a bleached out Kenyan marathon runner with a pot belly ::)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

glenn kangiser

Hmm are you saying you could be the US President?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

akemt

d*:o  :)

I need that "roll on the ground in a belly laugh" smilie!  Seriously, we don't have any laughing ones... ???

The other option for water in an emergency if you have no access otherwise is to use the water in the tank of the toilets.  Of course that means you'd want to keep that fairly clean and not drop any toilet cleanser blobs in there.  ;)  Knew the HWH tank one.  Love the idea of smaller indoor tanks plumbed directly into the lines with shutoffs.

Thanks all!
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

glenn kangiser

Quote from: akemt on November 15, 2008, 12:23:50 PM
  d*:o  :)

I need that "roll on the ground in a belly laugh" smilie!  Seriously, we don't have any laughing ones... ???

The other option for water in an emergency if you have no access otherwise is to use the water in the tank of the toilets.  Of course that means you'd want to keep that fairly clean and not drop any toilet cleanser blobs in there.  ;)  Knew the HWH tank one.  Love the idea of smaller indoor tanks plumbed directly into the lines with shutoffs.

Thanks all!

[noidea' Catherine, to find the fancy smilies you need to hit the [more] button at the end of the smilie pictures and I added a rofl for you.

There will be a popup with more cool smilies.  You may have to allow popups for this site if you are set not to.

[rofl2] [shocked]  rofl heh

cordwood

When I'm around your going to need'em  [toilet] [scared] rofl n* [shocked] [slap]
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Whitlock

I like to use this one for Glenn [slap]

glenn kangiser

Whitlock

I have never seen that emodacon Glenn ???
Were did you find it :-\

StinkerBell

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 16, 2008, 12:50:24 AM
Dude..... :drool

Is that from the all the ice cream brain freezes.

Did you get that early American settler with screws style cabinet done?

glenn kangiser

It's done...   It's now Sassy's problem. heh

....and the emoticon.... I can't tell you all of my secrets.... [goodkiss]

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 16, 2008, 01:33:13 AM
It's done...   It's now Sassy's problem. heh

....and the emoticon.... I can't tell you all of my secrets.... [goodkiss]

I understand-

glenn kangiser

Early American Settler Style.... that has a nice ring to it....

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 16, 2008, 01:48:27 AM
Early American Settler Style.... that has a nice ring to it....

You forgot with screws d*

Did we hijack this thread or what

glenn kangiser

I was trying to make it sound better than it was.

It was for storage and preparedness...

...and because I thought it may stop the beatings..     dontlook