Victoria's Cottage Modification

Started by rmrt, May 23, 2005, 04:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmrt

I am planning to build a camp using the VC plans but have made a few modifications. The footprint will remain the same although I intend to move the kitchen, and bath to the 16' wide section. It will have one loft over this area that will be 10 feet long. In the wide section, I would like to do an open living/dining area, about 20'x14', with no bearing walls and an open ceiling. I would like to put a gable over the bumpout instead of extending the roofline and put a wall of windows in it.  
Questions -
1. Would the open area need any beams running the 20' width to hold the walls in?
2. If so, can they tie into the header between courses of windows in the window wall?
3. Would this type of modification need an engineers inspection of the plans?
Thanks in advance for the help!

glenn kangiser

rmrt, John should be back shortly to advise you on this.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

A redesign of that magnitude will require that the plans be restructured and each of the floorplans, cross sections and elevations be redrawn and new load trace be done.

The structural members will have to be recalculated and perhaps some new connections detailed. You would want to use the Victoria plans as a starting point and do an overlay of your desired changes for redrafting locally.

No doubt some of the plans and details will be able to be copied into your new drawings and the set will save you drafting time over and above the cost of the plans. But you will be doing a new set of working drawings.

Your building inspector may want it to be reviewed by a structural engineer as well. This is a very local decision by your jurisdiction and usually depends on the snow load, wind loads and earthquake potential of your location.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rmrt

Thanks for the reply John, unfortunately that was the response that I expected. Do you think the  post and pier foundation from the VC would be sufficient for what I have planned or would that need to be recalculated also?
Thanks to you and Glenn for your attention to this forum!

John Raabe

Rmrt:

Judging by the picture you are in snow country ;).

Several folks have successfully built post and pier foundations in cold winter climates. Most of the details from the plans can probably be used for your foundation, but there may be a slightly different pattern for the piers and the beams will likely be different.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rmrt

Yeah, I'm in northern NY, it's still snowing up here!
Thanks for the reply, I guess I will search for a local designer and start from scratch!

Daddymem

Hey rmrt, where in Northern New York?  We got family up in the Massena area...nose thumbing distance from those Canadians across the river.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

rmrt

I'm building about an hour south of there, just north of Tupper Lake. I used to live in the Massena area but moved with work. I believe that Massena is actually in Canada, although no one will admit it! ;D

Daddymem

Yeah, they are backward enough :P.  This whole border requiring passports is really gonna mess them up.  We used to go out for Chinese food in Canada when we were up there...no birth certificate, no passport, no nothing..."What is your business in Canada?" "Going out to eat" "Ok, have a good time."  My wife is the one actually from up there, "family" in my case is by marriage only.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/