Free plan for 14x14 backyard cottage

Started by jraabe, April 26, 2005, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jraabe

This little cottage can be built many places without getting a permit. It is under the standard 200sf that triggers a building permit.

http://www.countryplans.com/Downloads/14x14.PDF

Daddymem

Matt Cushman

Cool plan!,

The township where I want to build a bunkhouse says no on anything below 720 sq. ft., however, I see plans like yours and others in local home centers for 200 sq ft cabins.  I'm begining to think that if a store sells plans and if the web has numorous plans for  these small structures, that there must be a loop hole or particular code that allows such small structures to happen.  The twp in the state I'm in (Michigan) says it's the state code.  Michigan adopted the International Code.  

Any help or direction you can provide.  I need code ammo for approaching the Twp.  

jraabe

You are asking the wrong question.

You are getting an answer to the question, "what is the smallest habitable building I can build?" You will get all kinds of answers to that question, but few jurisdictions will be able to pass up the opportunity to regulate that.  ;)

The question you want to ask is "what is the largest shed I can build without having to get a building permit?"

Remember, the goal is not to get them to let you jump through all their hoops, but to step to the side and ignore them.

Also ask if there are any owner builder exemptions on the books.

RayN

I was at an opening ceremony for a large meeting room (probably 30 by 60 feet).  The speaker mentioned that the dimensions of the room follow the "golden ratio" that Greek and Romans used for public places;  this made the room comfortable for groups of varing sizes.

Width and Height are the same,  length is twice width.  So basically two cubes put together.

So your 200 square foot idea with 10 foot walls would work well as a 10 x 20.  Of course the ratio might be B.S.  

RayN

Yes that "golden ratio" is Phi (pronounced Fee - am I spelling that correctly),  referred to in Dan Brown's DaVince Code or Angels and Demons.

Either way it has been used in architecture,  for 200 square feet, a Phi ratio rectangle would be 11 feet by 18 feet (approximately).

Pretty close to the Little House plan for 12x18.  I do think a 14x14 makes a nice room,  just wondering if a rectangle would be more efficient.

Ray

jraabe

Yes, a rectangle floorplan may work better for some things. A square does allow a hip roof which might look nice for some situations. And... I'm still thinking about the three story tower house we were playing with a few weeks ago.

As far as the golden mean goes, I see it as a naturally occurring aesthetic ratio that can be simplified as 1:1.6. Works best as an exterior relationship between width of wall to height, height of window to width, etc. Not sure we experience it as much when we walk on it as a floorplan.

Here is an overview: http://goldennumber.net/architecture.htm

TATTER918

looking at the 14x14 cottage could you use a 4x4 post to build I am thinking of building one now and adding  another as the $ are avalable  

jraabe

Sure, there are lots of different framing systems that could be used depending on what materials are available. The loads are not great.

Depending on what sheathing/siding you use you could place 4x4s at least 2' on center - further with a stiffer wall such as 2x6 T&G (go up to 48" without the loft loads). That would give you a timber framed look.