Which type of foundation?

Started by 2zwudz, November 18, 2007, 07:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

Which type of foundation would you use on your small cabin?  Concrete piers or a convention crawl space with poured footings and walls?  The price I received from the foundation guy to dig a four foot deep crawl and pour footings and foudation walls was $4430.00 for a 16x28.  The cabin will be used by my family for hunting season and weekend get aways.
Thanks Mark

peter nap

Cost is a factor but even then, I've found very few soil types and or building styles that Piers will not satisfy just as well as a conventional footing.crawl space.

On some style houses, I think the crawl space looks better but the same thing can be said about piers.

For what you describe, I'd go with piers either wood or concrete.

MountainDon

For our 14 x 26 I'm choosing post and pier. Poured concrete footing, either 16x16x*" thick or a round 20" dia x 8" thick, with X rebar in it. Concrete blocks on top of that to about 6 inches above ground level, with centers filled with concrete and a couple rebar tied into the footing. Then PT posts to girder/beam level, because I find it easier to cut the posts to the correct length/height. It's sloping land so all posts will be a different length anyways.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.