What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

We have a patch of rhubarb in a aspen grove that is over 100 yrs old.  When Dad now 96 was a small boy they summered in that grove in wall tents, because the house would get so hot.  Grandma would tell him "Go over and see if the pie plant is ready."  He says he would just go a trotting over there with visions of soon to be rhubarb pie.  We still harvest rhubarb from that patch once in a while. [hungry]     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yeah, Gary, I have those pie making arms, lol.  Unfortunately I'm pillowy everywhere else too, but you know what they say about never trusting a skinny cook.  If anyone wants my pie crust recipe, I'd be happy to share as it is a no fail recipe,  uses whole wheat, and no Crisco involved, and it tastes absolutely delicious.  My kids love to make a whole wheat honey pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it is wonderful (I do the crusts for them because they don't have the upper body strength to roll out the dough yet.) 

Tonight was potluck at church after the singing.  I made a huge pot of stew.  Our road is so washed out that the crockpot sloshed all over the place, so my truck will be smelling like cumin and oregano for weeks to come (and garlic and onions....)  Someone brought some deer chili that was really really good, too.

Sassy

HG, I'd like your pie crust recipe.  I've made one that includes an egg & vinegar in it - no fail.  I used to use Crisco but now have used butter or organic coconut oil.  That seemed to work out pretty good - used whole wheat the last time I made it but it didn't turn out as good.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rick91351

I have been wondering with the huge cross section of people that use this forum would a recipe thread work?  After a while I am sure we could even published cook book to help John fund this project.  Like one of those church cook book companies................ 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

To see if there is interest in a recipe sharing topic I would suggest someone start a new topic in the "off topic" board. Share a recipe with us. Name it something so it's obvious a place to share recipes... hey there's a topic name "A Place To Share recipes"  ;D   I can make it sticky and if it becomes popular it can stay sticky.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

OK, my bride has a few recipes (LIKE SEVERAL THOUSAND!), but I just have a handful of secret ones, so I won't be posting in the new thread much.
However, I have a few choice ones from my bachin' days that saved my bacon (beer money) more than a few times.
...and I s'pose all you ladies with pie makin' arms know this already.
Syrup
One cup water, one cup sugar, one tsp Maplene.
Bring water to low boil, back down the temp, add sugar and Maplene. If you boil it, it will crystalize later on.
20 cents for ½ qt of syrup.
Mrs Butterworth, keep yer apron on.

Pancakes (for single guys), one word; Krusteaz.
Water, stir, presto.
Thing is, I burn everything, so my creations fall under the term 'blackened'.
Hey, my blackened pancakes are fabulous with a bit of strawberry jam....and charcoal is good for ya right?
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Sassy

Charcoal?  Doesn't that filter out all the bad stuff?  I can recall putting bottles of that stuff down nasogastric tubes I've inserted into my patients when they've OD'd  :o  IIRC, it quickly comes out the other end  :D

I'm one of those people who likes my toast very toasty, my popcorn well-popped, marshmallows blackened & hotdogs crispy...  seems to lend a special flavor to it all  [hungry]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

muldoon

slow grilled chicken breast, marinated in sea-salt, fresh black pepper, fresh garlic, mustard.  slow cook at 300ish for about an hour.  sliced thin and put over a leafy salad with romaine, spinach and finely diced purple onions and some strawberries.  paired with iced black tea. 

a nice dinner before the kids violin lessons. 

Rob_O

Chicken with BBQ sauce on the grill, with a side of mac and cheese.
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Homegrown Tomatoes

Homegrown chicken, baked with a spice packet for soon-dubu-chigae soup base sprinkled on it (spicy Korean soup base).  Just trying to use up the soup base, which had been in the cabinet for a while..... it was really good.  We called it "Earthquake Chicken".... along with a salad and skin on smashed potatoes.

Kids thought that the earthquake chicken was too hot, so I made some honey mustard chicken for them.

muldoon

Took this doe yesterday morning, tonight's dinner includes thin sliced peppered backstrap slow cooked over mesquite smoke and asparagus dusted with garlic salt and butter.

muldoon

smoked wild pig ham sourced from the "took my son hunting" thread ... 

I did something different this time, I dry rubbed and put on oak/mesquite at noon, but at 2:30pm, I put the roast in alum foil and doused with a jellied "cherry" jam and a touch of water.  At 3:30 I checked temp and removed it from the foil and back on the grate.  I pulled it at 4:15 when internal temp was at 165. 

The sweet and spicy and smokey notes make for some nice din-din. 

Redoverfarm

Redoverfarm

OK I am not a cook by any means but thought I would share a product that my wife got the other day.  No it's not one of those TV products.  It is a potato chip cooker that works in the microwave.  The directions states that the chips will cook in 2 minutes but like all foods that depends on the particular microwave.  We tried it last night and believe it or not it did work.  Took a little longer than 2 minutes.  Some were cooked in 4 and others in 6 minutes.

The biggest problem was cutting the potato to a thin slice.  I guess you could add what ever seasoning you desired.  No it probably would work you to death trying to make a large quanity but for a small amount it was great.  I think it is made out of the some of the new silicone wear.  They have two that can be stacked or used seperately.  Here is the company which does make some quality cookware.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=35216&words=potato chip

Homegrown Tomatoes

We had homegrown chicken, deboned and baked with the last of the tomatoes, onions, and peppers, plus some olives, topped with cheese.  Then had some steamed veggies and a side of Braum's icecream.

carroll

I went over for a friend's birthday dinner -- cheese fondue with "kirsch" (sp?) It's very alcoholic -- smells kind of like everclear to me!  (My Southern roots are showing here . . . .)

One bit of kirsch-loaded bread soaked in fondue cheese, and I could understand how people could get drunk at a fondue party!  I didn't like the taste, so stuck with just the bread dipped in the cheese fondue.

Nice people -- her husband's an excellent carpenter/handyman/general genius at figuring out how to do things (the man figured out how to make homemade arch supports out of flip-flops!) -- so of course I asked him all kinds of questions about the feasibility of the near-Taos house!  I'm still thinking about getting it . . . .

Here's to fondue!

:)

muldoon

simple burgers over a wood fired grill, 50% ground deer, 50% lean beef.  I made some potatoes in the oven drizzled with olive oil, garlic salt and fresh rosemary from the garden.  I cut up lettuce, tomatoes and red onions but on my plate I just skipped the bread and had the meat and potatoes and the weak salad with a very spicy hot sauce on the side. 

homegrown - I had a bad experience with a homegrown chicken when I was young.  yours sounded good tho. 

carrol - you had everclear and cheese for dinner?   (not that theres anything wrong with that ... )

carroll

Hey, Muldoon,

They had the 'everclear-but-not-really" kirsch -- I just had the little crunchy bread dipped in fondue cheese!  (Tried one, and that was enough for me!)  (Turns out that it's not just a simple matter of melting cheese when you make fondue -- there's other stuff you have to do, too!   I'm glad I asked, because I had always thought I could just melt cheese in my cute little 'never-been-used' fondue pot!) 

I really wonder how people come up with stuff (I gather the kirsch before dipping in cheese is a common practice in Switzerland) -- "Hey, guy, let's not drink the liquor, let's dunk the bread in it, then put dip that in cheese to get us drunk by EATING OUR ALCOHOL!  What won't they think up next (although that practice has been around for a long time . . . .)

I've had some everclear before (many, many moons ago) -- and I didn't like that stuff either, hee, hee!  Whereas a really sweet peach wine, or gevertztrammener to me is delicious . .. .

Hmmmm -- might have to go get a glass (had not-chili beans tonight (forgot the chile powder when I made the beans) -- put cinnnamon, cumin, cocoa powder, and a bunch of other stuff in them (garlic, onions, carrots, etc.)

I LOVE the taste of cinnamon and a touch of cocoa powder in them -- with cheddar cheese of course!  Now that I write it, the dish sounds weird, but a lot of my friends like it too -- well, they either like it, or they were really hungry when they were over here!  Of course, I have one friend who hated it  . . . .

muldoon

I like the idea of cinnamon and cocoa in beans, I need to try it.  I am not so sure about carrots, mostly because I am not a fan of mushy carrots.  It seems like any time I make beans they seem to simmer and simmer and usually come back the next day as leftovers so I think I'll skip the carrots.  I'm going to try your spice ideas the next time I make beans tho. 

I like the fruit wines and reislings too, I like to make them too. 

carroll

That's great, Muldoon!  I put carrots in to add some veggie vitamins, but they kind of can't really be tasted, once you've got all the spices in there -- their consistency turns into about that of the beans . . . .

I think I read somewhere (but am not sure of this) that if you add tomatoes to your beans, they won't soften much because of the acid.  It was either that, or if you had hard water . . . .  Rats, can't think of it, now.

I always soak mine overnight, throw out the water, rinse them, and then cook the hell out of 'em -- sometimes I bother to sautee my onions and minced garlic, sometimes I just add everything together, and let them cook.  Supposedly it only takes about an hour, but I've never managed to have soft beans in that time frame!

I also add tomatoes, green chiles, anything else I have hanging around -- sometimes I make brown rice, to put with some of the beans.  What I really like is that you can make a whole huge pot of beans, kind of season them some (pepper, cumin, thyme, basil, anything else that 'feels' right to you) -- and then you can make vastly different meals from them, depending on what you season them with when you warm them back up!

I'm kind of stuck on the cinnamon and cocoa powder right now -- previous incarnations have included curry (really strange, but kind of good -- I'm not that big of a curry fan);  chili powder (which makes it actually CHILI!;  loads of tomatoes, then mix it in salads;  different kinds of beans --
cold, of course!

When I had fondue last night, they also served green beans with a little olive oil and vinegar on them -- really superb!  (They don't overcook the beans, so they were just right!)  Good for you, too!

Homegrown Tomatoes

So... Muldoon, what was your bad experience with the homegrown chicken?  The butchering process itself or an old chicken that was too tough to chew or what?  Our kids had a scarring experience with butchering this year, lol.  We had some city friends come over to help butcher because they wanted to learn how.  The guys were outside doing the killing and gutting, and us girls were inside finishing cleaning, cutting, and putting it in the freezer.  Every few minutes, one of the husbands would show up at the back door with another carcass for us to finish.  They would just stuff the giblets back into the bird for us to deal with, and my friend brought one chicken in and plopped it into a clear plastic bucket on the counter.... only the "elbows" of the wings caught on the edge of the bucket and it looked like it was sitting on a recliner, and the giblets dropped out the bottom into the bucket.  All six of the kids (theirs and ours) were sitting at the table eating lunch and just grossed out because they thought that the skinned, dead chicken had pooped in the bucket, lol.  The look on their faces was pretty priceless.  However, they got over it.  Our kids won't hardly eat store chicken anymore, and they can usually tell the difference from the first bite, if they don't notice the different smell when it is cooking.  Unfortunately, we are out of homegrown until we butcher again this year!  I went to a Whole Foods store in the city here a while back.... free range chicken like ours sells for $3.49 a POUND.  I figure we are getting a heck of a deal even with the butchering work figured in.  Our chickens don't eat much store feed... just kitchen scraps and the bugs and weeds they get for themselves, with a little supplemental feed when they need it.  Plus, they are clearing the woods where it is really hard for us to... the area around their coop is starting to look almost parklike.

muldoon

I guess I totally missed your post homegrown girl. 

My bad experience was when I was in 6th grade or so.  We had chickens, and were rather, shall we say, poor.  My mom my sister and I decided we were going to eat one of the chickens for dinner, and our neighbor proceded to tell us what I needed to do.  I was told to grab them by the neck and swing them him around to break his neck. 

This chicken was the oldest chicken we had.  He had a bad foot that was deformed and we "elected" him to go as the weakest worst of the bunch.  So I did what I was asked to do, only it didnt work.  I swung him around probably 15 times and this poor old bird just groaned and croaked.  It was horrible.  I finally used a hatchet.  Then the feathers.  That was horrible in it's own right.  Finally we ate that bowl of chicken and dumplings - all three of us, no one said a word.  It was the toughest worst chicken anyone had ever eaten, it was a terrible day followed by a terrible supper.  We didn't speak, and we didn't eat homegrown chickens after that. 

I dont mind cleaning animals, deer, pigs, quail, ducks, even rattlesnake or squirrel or rabbit every now and then.  I'll clean fish all day long.  But thanks but no thanks on the yard bird. 

Redoverfarm

Yes it is that time of the year.  Thanks to ChuckinVa for dropping me off a bag.  Unusually I should be digging for him but I was busy and he made a special trip with his dad to dig them.

Ramps, Fried Potato's, fried eggs SSU, biscuits and sausage gravy.  Now who could resist or ask for anything more.

[hungry]

muldoon

beer battered fish fry.  +hushpuppies + tater tots + home made tartar sauce. 

// had the family over for easter dinner and a kiddos egghunt. 
// best day I can remember in a while.  had a blast. 

Redoverfarm

Deer Roast, fried potatos w/ ramps, whole kernel corn, homemade sauerkraut and biscuits [hungry]

Tomarrow is in the planning stage but the main course will be fresh Rainbow trout, fried potato's w/ramps .  I don't think it is against the law to have fried poitato's two days straight especially when ramps are involved.   ;)