what to use for 18x18

Started by markhu, March 21, 2005, 02:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markhu

Hi, I have read the description for most of the plans on this site, and would like to order one.
But I am not sure which one would be best to use as the basis for my particular project which is 18'x18'.
Should I use the VC which is 16 feet and bump it out to 18?  Or should I get the 20-footer and shrink it?

Also, I definitely want a loft, but am unsure how that differentiates the plans other than a steeper roof.

Currently I am leaning toward SIP construction, although the Big Enchilada intrigues me with its idea of "Superinsulation techniques. How to upgrade your house to super-efficiency by using these "poor man's SIP" techniques."

Cheers.

jraabe

Mark,

Your project is a prime candidate for the next phase of this owner/designer project which will be plans for the "Anything House" which will come with expandable outline structural plans for all the different widths - 14', 16', 18', 20', 24', 26' and higher if there is demand. Each can be adjusted for length.

These plans will include the foundation, floor framing, wall framing and roof framing plans and structural details.

The owner/designer uses a simple floorplan software program such as 3DHA to layout the doors, windows, and interior rooms. These will go with the structural plans to make up a simple set of construction working drawings.

Since this project will require more help than is possible here, the plans will come with a subscription to a special support web site that will have updated details and a body of reports that can be downloaded and added as your plan evolves.

I also envision a library of shared CAD files (open source plans) that owner/designers will share and that can then be used as a template for your own modifications.

This has been in works for some time and will be happening this Spring.

In the meantime I would suggest playing with your plan layout, perhaps in 3DHA and you will be able to structure that layout later.

markhu

Thanks for replying.

I took some more measurements and determined that 16x20 is better, so I ordered the 16' Victoria Cottage plans today.  I really look forward to receiving them.

matsuscha

Can you please tell me if this "open stockpile" of plans exists yet?  I have purchased the  plans & the 3D sortware,  but I'm finding the software a little more difficult than I hoped!  Looking for the Victorian Cottage plan for me to modify.

THANKS!
b'ham, al

John Raabe

No, not yet. But it is moving towards opening.

www.planhelp.com

You can check the progress above as we get things ready to go.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

matsuscha

For the "open system" you just spoke of, we are modifying the Victoriaquite a bit - do y'all offer the service of "checking the changes" on plans draw up on 3DA?  Pricing?  Sure am glad I found you guys, thanks!
b'ham, al

John Raabe

You can email your questions and any attached plan files to plansreview@planhelp.com and I can give you an estimate of the review consultation.
None of us are as smart as all of us.