Don and Peter's Hot Rod Corner

Started by MountainDon, February 13, 2007, 12:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

"Well here's a shock: a good looking British sports car (sorry Lotus). This is the Lightning GT, and instead of guzzling super unleaded it creates 700 horsepower using batteries."

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=567196&topart=sports
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

[cool]  Wow! Wonder what size a fuse you need on that. Or I guess a circuit breaker.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

That is a nice looking car.
So what is in store for the next generation of hot-rodder? Overamping electric motors?
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

I guess... I have a friend who's a golf nut as well as a gearhead. He has what he claims is the fastest gold cart in the area. There are high performance electric motors, controllers and everything else available.

There are also custom bodies available; entire custom carts for that matter.

Google "hot rod golf carts".

desdawg

That is pretty fancy. I never got into cow pasture pool so I guess I missed out on an entire evoulution.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

Quote from: desdawg on August 10, 2008, 10:47:03 AM
I never got into cow pasture pool...

Me neither, but I like the hot rod carts.   :)

??? On second thought I like just about anything that's been hot rodded.     ;D

MountainDon

The only American-born Formula One champion, Phil Hill, died Thursday, August 28 of complications from Parkinson's disease. He was 81.

Phil Hill in his 1961 Ferrari championship car at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Hill won the 1961 Formula One title for Ferrari, as well as the first American to win the 24-hour at Le Mans—a three time winner in all. He also won the Sebring 12-hour race three times. "I had an amazing amount of luck to race for 22 years and not a drop of blood or a broken bone," Hill once said. "Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough."

More story here... http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-me-hill29-2008aug29,0,5179464.story?track=rss

MountainDon

MountainDon

Stainless Steel Fords

Thanks to redoverfarm. John I'd never seen these before. Cool!

In 1935, officials at Allegheny Ludlum Steel Division and the Ford Motor Company collaborated on an experiment that would become a legacy and a tribute to one of the most dynamic metals ever developed.

Allegheny Ludlum, a pioneer producer of stainless steel, proposed the idea of creating a stainless steel car to Ford. The idea took shape in the form of a 1936 Deluxe Sedan. That car became the centerpiece of a campaign to expose the public to the new metal and its many uses.

Six of the 1936 models were made, 4 exist today. In 1960 two Thunderbirds were made and in 1967 three Lincoln Continental convertibles were made.

Allegheny Ludlum website with more info...
http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/pages/companyinfo/stainlesscars.asp

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Wolfer

Quote from: glenn-k on February 22, 2007, 03:33:04 AM
Now that there is a place for this stuff, here is a cool video my SIL sent me --   I don't know who or where but still cool.

ISlandic Hill climbers there is no trick photography these guys are just plain NUTS
Kyle

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 22, 2008, 12:51:25 PM
A video of an Electric Drag Racer - from John (Redover Farm)

Yep. Full torque right from zero revs on up.

I betcha the cables from the batteries to the motor get a little bit warm.  :)  Love the electric drag bike too.

My high school physics teacher said an electric vehicle could out accelerate a Corvette. He was considered to be a little off center... just a man ahead of the rest.

glenn kangiser

It's really amazing to me.

Two identical generators can be synchronized to make one of twice the capacity.

They must be phased correctly or....pieces of shrapnel will be going everywhere.  There is a way to do it.  Don't think I want to try it though.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

That wooden supercar is something else.  Was talking to a guy at the local Woodcraft store about hot rods, and he walks me over to the mag rack and shows me this.  "Get the &^%$ outa here!"  Pretty cool.  Osage orange is seriously strong, and a great choice for this kind of thing.

Glenn, I was reading about bowmaking one time.  They cut wedge shaped blanks (or split them), because the bow can then have heartwood, and sapwood in the same piece.  The heartwood is harder, and so it reflexes, it goes on the side without the string, the sapwood is flexible (orientation may be backward).

Not trying to cause a drift, just thought it was interesting.  Here is the roadster I built from scratch years ago.  1929 Ford, started with the cowl, fabricated everything else (frame and body), used lots of junkyard, dumpster, and traded parts.

Started this one from refuse a coupla years ago.  Never finished it, unfortunately.

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

Way  [cool]
Those would be what are referred to as Rat Rods. I've grown to really like them. I've always wanted a traditional American Hot Rod roadster. So impractical in so many parts of the country, but so cool.

Here's an odd one I ran across recently... (on the internet, not in person)

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

I tried to find more on it, but came up dry.  :(

Jens

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 02, 2009, 09:44:51 PM
That A/G one is great.

Reminds me of the sedan my friend Shane was building in Pioneer, CA (just up a ways from you), except his was a Tudor 30, not a Fordor 29.

Was going for a refined Rat Rod effect on my 29, but never got that far along with it!  Was going to have nice Black Pearl paint job.  I met Larry Watson, and he gave me his phone number to call him and he would give me the actual recipe for the black pearl he used to spray in the '60's
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

Inspired by a post on another topic I dug back and found these pictures.

Anyone who has ever hot rodded an engine may have used one od Ed Iskenderian's camshafts. Ed was known as the Camfather. The first performance cam I ever bought was an Isky. I was so pleased with it I only ever bought one other brand, a Crane, because I couldn't get an Isky grind when I wanted a cam for a bike I was working on.

Anyhow one of the most well known old hot rods was Ed's 1924 Model T. He began his cam grinding career welding and regrinding cams to make it go faster. The car still exists today in the same configuration and condition from the 1940's. It can be seen at the NHRA museum in Pomona, CA. It's a non restored original, probably the oldest existing Hot Rod.

That engine is a '32 Ford V8 with a set of maxi OHV conversion heads.

The car went 120 mph before WW2 and faster after.

The business still grinds cams. Ed still smokes cigars.

ED is probably one of the more prolific collectors of reusable vehicles and vehicle components. He has several acres worth of old stuff he has collected over the decades in Gardena.

Redoverfarm

Don I looked for this thread to post the video but didn't find it so i went to the best next thing that I could. It was getting late. You can move if you like.

MountainDon

I'll just paste in the info from your post under Cars and leave it over there as well with a link here. Easier than moving.

A few from the good ole days.

http://thefiftiesandsixties.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

I have many topics like this one in my notification list, in order to track responses on topics I want to be ablr to find. Of course that means you get an email when new posts appear. If the emails is a bother one wishes to avoid you could also make a special bookmarks/favorits folder for CP topics and save the topics to there.

Jens

I love the Isky T.  I saw it at the 50th GNRS, awesome. 

check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=369h-SEBXd8

rick91351

Wow Don I never knew you..... well never mind.....  [cool]

I ran in to an add the other day for Honest Charley's Speed Shop.  And I was assured I can still buy a rod from the frame up from the catalog.  I figured it was a thing of the past. 

www.honestcharley.com/

Now you say Ed Iskenderian's Company is still grinding cams, and he is still smoking cigars.

With all these old gear heads popping up suddenly I had to check it out to see for sure if Garlits and the old Swamp Rat with Tommy Ivo and the Showboat was not making a tour with Tom McEwen and Don Prudhomme to a local strip near by this coming spring.....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.