Don and Peter's Hot Rod Corner

Started by MountainDon, February 13, 2007, 12:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding there, Peter.  I was actually going for genius there. :-/

Really - I didn't care what it looked like - just that it was fast.  balance was off and tore out the plywood in the front one so moved it back for the second attempt.  Chop saw and nail gun was handy -so took about 20 minutes to get it right.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote5 window coupe...Not chopped.. I like the TCI front crossmember and the Bitchin firewall... other than that I would like the chasis to be stock...Except for the 9 inch rear
The TCI lets you set the front end just about as low as you care/dare. IFS rides much improved over a beam that's for sure. The disc brakes are a big plus as well.

I prefer a slight chop. I like the ones where they remove the B pillar. Looks cool to me with a slight chop and the pillar gone. I've always wondered if they did some real window magic or if it's a show only job. If so not too practical for a street rod.

Ya' also need A/C. One stop shop  http://www.vintageair.com/

Their website havs a video of a '53 Stude the owner built for Bonneville. 219 MPH with the A/C on.  :)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

benevolance

don

I have all kinds of aftermarket ac units...I save them out of cars I junk and here in the south so many cars from 35 years ago have aftermarket ac...

so whenever I do a hotrod I have all kinds of ac systems to pick from...

I have installed aftermarket ac in a corvair van... in a 48 chevy 5 window... and a dodge a-100 van

I love the simplicity of aftermarket ac.... it has to be easy if I can do it!
;)

glenn-k

I used to install A/C on Caterpillars in the field.  Don't forget about the Propane (generic Duracool)  for refrigerant.

benevolance

Glenn

One of these days I am going to try the propane as refrigerant...I will pester at you when I do...I find it very interesting

benevolance

i cannot imagine a bulldozer with air conditioning... I have this mental image of a 30 year old D-8 or something...not even an enclosed cab for crying out loud

glenn-k

Imagine it, Peter. :)

Quote"I would suggest moving back," Bush said as he climbed into the cab of a massive D-10 tractor during his visit to a Caterpillar factory today. "I'm about to crank this sucker up." Newsweek notes, "As the engine roared to life, White House staffers tried to steer the press corps to safety, but when the tractor lurched forward, they too were forced to scramble for safety. 'Get out of the way!' a news photographer yelled. 'I think he might run us over!' said another. ... Even the Secret Service got involved, as one agent began yelling at reporters to get clear of the tractor.

Watching the chaos below, Bush looked out the tractor's window and laughed, steering the massive machine into the spot where most of the press corps had been positioned."

The problem is that in reality, the big D-10 bulldozer is like our government and Bush is at the controls. The reporters scrambling are like the American People and the Iraqis as Bush plows us into chaos to the sound of his idiotic chuckles.

http://www.pissedonpolitics.com/2007/01/

Talk about terrorizing the citizens. I didn't write any of that --- I don't want to cause thread drift in the hotrod corner.  I was simply illustrating an air conditioned Caterpillar when George climbed into the seat.:-/ ;D

MountainDon

I wouldn't doubt that GWB has some cool toys on his spread in Crawford.

benevolance

he is not my presdent..I am not a citizen and I did not vote for him

I laughed my arse off though... consider the quote from Bush...

I suggest you move back... Don I think there is a subliminal message there...Maybe we should move back to Canada...The only way to be safe from Dubbya ;D

MountainDon

No matter how you look at it; if you like him or not, if you voted for him or didn't, if you hold citizenship or don't, legal or not, GWB is still the president of the country. Therefore if you live in the USA, he's your president, like it or not.

As for moving back. No sir. Not in my game plan.

benevolance

no sir don he is not my president... When I can vote and I am a citizen he is my president...He is only the president of Americans.. of which I am not

Working here does not make you american...

Us troops are working in Iraq currently killing innocent civilians...Does that make them Iraqi's?

Of course not

glenn-k

Actually he was never elected - he was installed by the supreme court after vote counting was stopped the first time.  Second time was computer fraud (vote tampering with hacked computers) to keep him in.  No matter -choices were also unacceptable.  We are a rudderless ship with the engine set at full speed ahead.  The sea is only so large.  It is inevitable that we will soon strike land.

Back to Peter and Don's Hot Rod Corner.  I don't want to trash this thread with trashy politicians.   :)

I got the transmission in the Jeep, the throttle linkage adjusted and it is moving.  There is enough blowby that the fresh air hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner is spewing rather than sucking.  I disconnected it and ran it down a hose.  We'll play gross polluter for a while while it is still running fairly decent.  At least I will get to prospect. :)

Maybe a longblock this winter. :-/

MountainDon

QuoteBack to Peter and Don's Hot Rod Corner.  I don't want to trash this thread with trashy politicians.   :)

Maybe a longblock this winter. :-/
Yeah, there's enough trashy politician stuff elsewhere.   :)  Hot rods and motorized stuff are sacrosanct, or should be.

Too bad about the blowby and what it means.  :'(  I guess you really needed another project.  :-?

glenn-k

Yeah -- but I got it so cheap, I want to just go ahead and do things right and have a good little Jeep.  Actually a pretty big jeep.

I think the long block would be an easy way to go.  There is quite a bit of room around that 6 cyl. so it's not too bad a job to swap.

benevolance

Glenn

I would just get a kit and re-ring it yourself...

Super easy to do... yes there will be some wear in the cylinders...but it should not be that bad unless something is wrong like a bad piston and the piston has scored the cylinder wall...

I bet you can buy a rebuild kit for $150...You can pull it, clean it and re-ring it all in one day with ease... dump in a new oil pump chain and gear replace the rods and mains...And you are good to go...

what does a long cost there?

As for the head I would do a compression test... compression tests 2 things.. the rings and the valves... Replacing the valve seats ($10) is so easy my wife can do it...It will prevent smoking or oil burning due to leaking oil coming down on the valves... Half the vehicles I get seem to need to have this done...I do a couple a month... very easy if you have air hose or a compression tester..

Best way to do them is before you tear the motor down... just use the compression tester... bump it over until it builds up compression and do not release!

Then pull valve cover... remove rockers...Valve spring for the cylinder you have the compression tester in...

The air from the compression tester is trapped in the cylinder and will keep the valve seated perfectly for you.. Replace the valve seat ( I prefer the hat type better protection)...replace the valve spring lock it down and then do the second one...

2 valves per cylinder so after every 2 valves you need to remove the compression tester and insert it into the next cylinder spark plug hole.. bump it over to build compression and then repeat the process..

Takes about an hour to do this.... Once this is done you can go ahead and pull it.. and do the bottom end... Look at the valves I am sure they are just fine if you had valve problems you would know it...

MountainDon

QuoteThe air from the compression tester ...keep the valve seated .... Replace the valve sea[highlight]t[/highlight] ( I prefer the hat type better protection)...
That should read sea[highlight]L[/highlight]

MountainDon

I see 258 long blocks at about $1200.00, a rebuild kit (rings, bearings, gaskets) about $220.

I believe Glenn has said before the engine is down on one cylinder.
If I'm not wrong Glenn said the clock was showing 66K miles or so, but what he didn't say was how many times it might have gone around, 2x, 3x?

My personal, non professional mechanic opinion is...

IF the engine had a real 66K (not likely for an '81) on it and one cylinder was down, I'd want to know why; valves or rings. A small amount of heavy oil squirted into the cylinder and a compression test should indicate if it's mainly leaking by the rings. That's probably the case.

Then I'd pull the head. If the cyl walls were good and the rings the likely culprit I'd re-ring. New bearings might be a good idea at that point, but IF the miles were really only 66K they might not be necessary. Depends.

IF the engine has a more likely 166K or more miles on it (IMHO very likely the clock's gone around at least once) and one cylinder is down there's no way I'd patch the engine unless I was considering unloading it on an unsuspecting stranger. I'd go with a rebuilt long block.

And how about the F&R crank seals?... I believe Glenn said something about leaks. Plus the timing chain / sprockets?  What else??

JMHO   YMMV.  

Hey!! This is the topic where YMMV is most applicable!  :)

benevolance

Don the engine rebuild kits come with all the seals... the timing chain and gear come with the rebuild kit also...So you get everything...So you can fix all the leaks...

I would just look at the cylinder walls...Unless it was scored badly I would check for ridge get a mic out and look at the cylinder walls and if it was decent it would get a rebuild kit...

Glenn has a lot of vehicles and as an occasional driver he would get 20 years out of a rebuild done properly on something like the old Jeep

MountainDon

Well there ya' go. I didn't think they came with the timing chain, etc.

The only stuff I've done internal rebuilds on were my flathead Ford/Merc, my hypersensitive over- hot rodded 2.2L 123GT street car,  the P122S race engines, the 455 Olds in the transporter, the hi-perf 258 in my CJ, and several motorcycle engines.  :-/  Those were always done from the ground up with performance in mind.  :-/

glenn-k

Thanks, guys.  I get kind of lazy sometimes  -- I could do the rebuild without too much trouble.  Around 1200 is what I saw on the net.  

I am more convinced that this thing has gone around at least once or more now.  I don't think it would have that much blowby if it hadn't.  Also - oil pressure is pretty low when idling.  We tested 50 lbs on No.2 - Oil leaks seem to be reduced to near none since I resealed the valve cover - not sure but looks better - only drove it a couple times --- also put the breather hose to atmosphere - so it isn't blowing it out the oil fill cap now.

glenn-k

I used to replace valve seals with an air adapter to hold the valves shut - plug the holes and hit the valve spring retainer with a socket or pipe and the keepers will fly out in a split second.  I welded a 2" piece of 3/4 pipe to a solid shaft to make a punch to do that with.  Gotta be careful to not lose the keepers if doing it that way though.

MountainDon

QuoteAround 1200 is what I saw on the net.  
One place I've bought a few parts from and been happy with the service is Rock Auto.  http://www.rockauto.com/  They have a very nifty online catalog system.

glenn-k

Thanks, Don - I'll check it out.

Yeah - nice catalog.

glenn-k

Took the BushHog down to the spring - 450' elevation drop - and cut a dead oak tree down for firewood.  Brought out the whole tree in one load - teetering on the side hills but ever so carefully, made it with no mishaps.

I made the side boards from Pine 1x4s screwed and glued - light but plenty strong.

The dump bed came in handy as I dumped it right in front of the woodshed and wood splitter.  Glad I had Mike get me the power dumper.  I don't think I could have dumped that by hand -- near 1000 lbs I would guess.

Probably near 1/4 cord there.  Calculator shows .25 cord at  1400 lbs but it was a bit short of a cord and a bit dry.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/logweight.html

benevolance

that is just an awesome little rig Glenn no matter how you look at it... you must feel plenty spoiled...I am a little jealous ;)