Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalynx

It's no problem questioning.  It's reasonable.  The answer is yes.  I have them, just haven't installed them yet.  They are 6x6's at 45 degree angles.  I put one on and it can be seen in a couple of the pictures.  I will have 9 more going on.  I guess I am in a hurry to get the place dried in. 

Bishopknight

Phalynx,

Awesome job so far. Aspiring owner-builders like myself appreciate the detail and pictures you've gone into.

Maybe I scanned over it, but roughly what did it cost to make the shed altogether? I'm thinking of building that first so I can put solar panels up on it since I plan on being off-grid completely and will need a power source. ( dont worry I have the solar array all set , 390 watts, 320 amp hrs on a pure sine wave inverter running on a morningstar TS-45 )

Thanks,
Bishop

phalynx

If I recall, the little cabin was just over 5K finished.

phalynx

We had a good weekend.  Got the entire roof on!!!  yea!!,,,  celebration time... Put some more siding up.  That is slow going for sure.  I thought it would be faster, but oh well.    Built a deck for the hot tub that arrives tomorrow.  Ran electrical for the hot tub.

Here are some pics.

Watch that first step out the back door.

Redoverfarm

phalynx in the dry I see.  As for the high doorway.  If that is the Hot tub platform not far from there you would always put in a diving board from the door. ;D

ScottA

Looking good! I'm going to put in a hot tub too but not till the house is done. I guess you can go soak at the end of a long hard day. Good plan.  :D How high is that scafold? 30'?

teacher2

How are you planning to enclosed the crawl space?  Do you think you will have problems with pipes freezing with the occasional freezing  weather we have here in TX?  Great progress, BTW.  Thanks for the cost info you posted earlier.

Also, are you using forced air HVAC?  If so, how are you doing the duct work?

Thanks

phalynx

Diving BOARD!!!!     --- wife said no...  :(

Hot tub, yeah, we were going to wait until after we were done, but my back has altered that plan.  Soak away the problem IS the plan.. :)

Scaffold looks like it's 30', feels like it's 30', but is actually only 20'  :( 

As for the underneath, we have decided that we will build a small wall and continue the siding below the house.  It may look funny, but I think it won't be so bad when we get the porches around.

HVAC will be forced air.  It will actually go up next to the stairs.  We will run a main vent up through a small "tube" wall to the ceiling and then split up stairs in the attic to the rooms.  Downstairs, we will build an 8' ceiling in the hallway from the master bedroom and kitchen and vent to those rooms that way.

phalynx

Ok, got what we intended to get done, done.  We have 1 side exterior side complete.  Sided, painted, etc.  We really want the "old farm house" feel, and chose a faded yellow color for the house and white for the trim.  We are VERY please with the outcome.  It doesn't show well in this picture as it's an overcast day.  It's a little yellower than shown.  We also got the scaffolding over to the other side of the house and have put the rest of the osb, tyvek, and windows on that side.  Overall, it was a productive weekend.  I can't believe I never purchased a good paint sprayer before.  What a DREAM it was.  Painted the wall in about 30 minutes..  (after prep work)

Redoverfarm

phalynx looking good.  No more rainy day excuses now. Nice outside then thats where we work. Bad outside we just move to the inside.  I wanted to ask if you have any plans for an emergency egress to the 2nd floor other than the stairs within the house.  I didn't with mine but my windows in the loft area are only about 9' off the ground.

phalynx

REdoverfarm,  That's a good point.  I hadn't given it much thought yet.  I will probably buy one of those roll up emergency ladders and train the girls how to use it only in a fire and not when boys come around...     :(  I'll probably put some kind of alarm on it :)

Ultimately, we may have another solution depending on the wrap around porch idea.  Could be the best slide on the planet.   Of course, that last step would be a big one.

Sassy

Looks really nice, Phalynx!  I like the yellow with white trim - that is the outside color of our house in the valley...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

phalynx

Now that it's daytime, I snapped a pic of the 1 side we are working on now.

phalynx

We weren't able to get much done this weekend.  My grandfather passed away and the funeral was today.  My grandfather is one of the few people who can pull us away from our project.  A lot of the "drive" and the willingness to tackle any project comes from him.  We did, however, manage to build the chimney up all the way and get most of the tyvek on it before the rain started.

Here is the only pic of value.  Next week, we should be able to side the entire wall ad possibly paint it.

glenn kangiser

Sorry to hear of your loss, phalynx.  Progress looks good.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

Got a good weekend's worth of work.  With daylight savings it really helps.  We completed the siding on the chimney side and started more work on the front.  We are really getting the hang of the siding.  Here are a couple of pictures of the progress.

ScottA

Looking good in Texas! Even got ya a couple of models to spice up the pics I see. Really starting to look like something.  [cool]

Redoverfarm

Looking better each time I seee it. But you had better put a hammer and saw in the model hands. Start them off right.  ;D

phalynx

The models are on "material transportation duties" for now.  They have been watching everything we do.  The real winner of the "learn new things" category is my wife.  She's becoming quite the pro on the "big boy toys tools".  She womans the Dewalt cutoff saw full time now.  What a time saver to just yell out the measurements and get a piece delivered!!! :)  The cool thing is, I can yell it in english!  :)

ScottA

QuoteThe models are on "material transportation duties" for now.

Back when I was a kid it was called a "gofetchit".

Redoverfarm

Around here it is"gofor". Go for this and that.

Sassy

"gofer" that's usually what my job is...   ;)  & the "cleanup crew"  :-\  but just anything that will expedite the building process, if I can do it, I'll do  c*

Your place is looking wonderful phalynx! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

John Raabe

Looking downright "Homey"
None of us are as smart as all of us.

deertracks

Your place looks great... looking forward to seeing the inside!!

phalynx

Made reasonable progress this weekend.  We intended to get the chimney side painted and get the siding on the back side of the house.  Due to the fact that I didn't clean the spray tip on the sprayer as well as I should have, I had a little paint fiasco that resulted in a trip back to Home Depot for another tip and some brushes.  And since it's not possible to go to Home Depot without spending several hours and several hundred dollars, we did that this morning as well as a little Easter egg hunt.  But we'll be working more this week.