Victoria Plan Questions

Started by Miedrn, June 18, 2006, 03:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miedrn

I really like this plan and think it could be very unique. I especially like the double loft with the walk between them. I can't find pictures of anyone that has actually built it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm also thinking that I'll need to adjust the plans for a code stair.

I have made the decision to find a different area to build in. Funny how your attitude changes after reading this forum! I've even checked into strawbale building here in Michigan and was pleasantly surprized to find all the government buildings that have been built with it and a school or two. Still, getting the plans approved for one would be difficult in the southeastern part of the state. Rather conservative.

I want to put it on a walk-out basement and use I-joists for the floor on the Victoria. Sound reasonable? Is the framing baloon or platform and if it's baloon, how could I change it to platform? I'm a total newbie at building so sorry if I'm off base here.

I'm thinking I'll have to get that program that quite a few of you use to customize the plans. I want the lofts for family when they visit which means adding at least a half bath also. I think I've seen someone do that with this plan. There is soooo much info here to go through!

glenn kangiser

I looked the plans over a bit - The Victoria is one of my favorites.  

I'll move this to plans support and John should find it faster there.

The loft area is semi-balloon I think is the way John described it - kind of platform at the bottom but the studs continue up for strength to keep from having a hinge point at the loft.  I didn't see a basement option but it seems it could be built over a properly designed basement similar to the concrete stemwall option.  That probably would be added locally by your engineer or architect.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Pala

A week or so ago, I picked up 3D Home Arch. v3.0 on ebay for $.99.  Of course shipping was $8.00

Very handy for planning and playing and dreaming.  Also checkout Googlesketch.  I also have an old windows 95 program called KeyCAD that I use for things like site plans.

John Raabe

There are several versions of the Victoria project on the site:

Here is the one Victoria did

Here is a simplified 16' wide based on the plans.

Finally - Go to the Gallery and you will find several other projects based on the Victoria plans.
None of us are as smart as all of us.