Lightning Strikes, Again!

Started by MountainDon, August 06, 2019, 06:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

We had a lightning strike again. A few weeks more than 5 years ago we were struck with an almost total loss of all electrical equipment including the Outback charge controller and inverter. Previous strike is detailed here... https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=13733.msg179340#msg179340

Things were a little different this time. First we were on site this time. I happened to be looking out a window when there was big bang and a simultaneous big flash of yellow-red light. Karen jumped out her seat in surprise. The lights stayed lit.

The flash of light seemed to be at or near the gazebo. After the rain and thunder rolled off away from us I discovered an exterior GFCI outlet on the gazebo wall had failed. There is an underground power line from cabin to gazebo.

Better luck this time? Or the result of the lightning protection system installed after the previous strike?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

I think both better luck and enhanced surge protection ;) At some point a big/close strike is going to have it's way.
Since you were there, did you shut down all the exterior lines coming into the power system? This usually really can help!

The next week or so will really tell if there was latent damage. Good Luck Don!
"we go where the power lines don't"