VC Loft floor to wall

Started by rayian, February 03, 2015, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayian

I purchased the Victoria's Cottage plan 2 or 3 weeks back. A question about the loft floor to wall detail. Since I'm thinking to use 2x12 joists rather than the 8" beams specified in the plan does it make sense to sit the joists on top of the band joist and nail them to the studs rather than hang them with hangers from the band joist. If so I'm thinking a 2x6 band joist would be sufficient.

John Raabe

Yes, I think a 2x6 band joist nailed to each stud supporting the joists should be fine. Provide fire blocking as shown in the Loft Floor to Wall detail on sheet 3 and stud to joist nailing as you suggest. Check the joist span with your supplier. 2x12 will be very stiff. If you have Doug Fir or Southern Pine a good grade 2x10 should be fine as well.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rayian

Thanks for the response.

Code here in Canada doesn't seem to accept 2x10 of any species to span 16 ft.

John Raabe

The working span would be support to support or 15'. But don't push it, a stiffer floor will come from the 2x12s.

rayian

While we're at it another question I have is regarding the central pier at the ends of the 28 ft section of the post and pier foundation plan that is not there for the simple studio house. Why is that?

John Raabe

The Studio House uses the Alternative Cross Section sheet 1. Those loads all go to the long sidewalls so no center beam supports are needed. That loft could also have a trussed roof if needed to meet local loads or codes.

rayian

So if I understand correctly, if I build the rafters with a gussett plate joining them rather than a ridge beam then the central pier at each end is not necessary.

John Raabe

You need to have a triangulated roof truss either manufactured or site built. I would suggest a manufactured truss since it will be engineered for your wind and snow loads.

rayian

Yes, I neglected to mention the collar tie.

The 16x28 plan from Planhelp has an offset of 8-12 inches from the girder to the outer edge of the 1st floor platform. I don't see this with the 16x28 studio house in the Vic Cottage plan. Does this apply?