Alternative Building Methods

Started by flyingvan, December 14, 2013, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingvan

Knott's Berry Farm, the first theme park in the nation, has a special deal for firefighters this time of year.  I took advantage and brought my 13 year old son and some friends...The rollercoasters quickly became dull compared to the sometimes wild rides I get at work.  I wandered around for a bit, but realized it's kind of creepy to see a 48 year old male wandering alone around an amusement park, so I started taking pictures of the architecture.  Walter Knott was fascinated by the old west and preserved quite a few buildings here, along with a narrow gauge railroad and a great old west museum. 
    Here are a few of my favorite structures--

The Bottle House.   Bottles were cut in half and two identical bottoms were glued together and used like bricks.  It lets great light through while maintaining privacy.  Given the number of bottles I produce while building, I may incorporate this on a west facing wall sometime.

The Barrel House.  Probably not built to earthquake standards, but this structure is 80 years old I was told.  I wonder what the 'r' value of an empty barrel is?

If you are ever visiting Disneyland/California Adventure, add a day to your trip and visit this place. 
Find what you love and let it kill you.

rick91351

Knotts was a collector of those old buildings.  If I remember right reading or was told he also bought an old town from around Barstow.  He purchased a couple old buildings from Idaho that were on display at Knotts Berry Farm a long time ago.

That is a great tip stop there for those not familiar with Southern Ca.  We always try to make it to the Park and see the sites there when visiting the area.  I don't know if it is still there or not but Mrs Knotts Chicken Dinner Cafe there at the main entrance was not to be missed if traveling through the area.  You never had to pay admission to eat there of course and was like real food...... [cool] 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

flyingvan

Sure is, had Cordelia Knott's chicken dinner ($16.99, plenty of food for two people)  Walter Knott was a berry farmer, and when the depression hit his wife Cordelia started making chicken dinners to make ends meet.  It got real popular real fast so Walter's love of old west stuff became entertainment for people waiting in the long line for dinner.  Walter also hybridized logan, black and raspberries to produce the first boysenberries, which he named after his neighbor and friend Boysen.
Find what you love and let it kill you.