Cedar clapboard siding for solar saltbox: rain screen needed?

Started by Thfrawley, June 26, 2013, 02:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thfrawley

Hello,
       I'm checking in from Westport Maine where I've been constructing the 24x36 solar farmhouse for the past 4 years. We've been hard at work this spring roughing in the plumbing and electricity in addition to insulating (not to mention an auxiliary goat shed). In hopes of getting the place liveable and sealed up by the fall I'm planning to call in the professionals to help me with the siding. I've order prefinished 1x6 cedar clapboards but there is some debate among the siding contractors concerning how best to fasten them to the house. As directed by the plan, the entire home is sheathed with 1 1/2" rigid foam atop 1/2" CDX plywood and covered with house wrap. While the plan suggests fastening clapboards directly to the studs (nailing through the foam), several of the builders I have consulted stress the need for a rain screen, citing moisture problems that may occur when wooden siding is in direct contact with the foam. My two thoughts were to use a 3D mat type product (i.e cedar breather) or use 1x3 furring strips affixed to the studs (though I'm not sure how this would impact window and trim details). Any thoughts on the best way to fabricate a rain screen and or whether or not it is even necessary in this case. Given the amount of money it is costing me to use cedar rather than fiber cement or vinyl I would really like to make sure it is installed properly and protected. Thanks in advance.

-Tim

Mike 870

I believe strongly that you should install a rain screen under your cedar.  Building Science, Fine Homebuilding Magazine, all the experts agree it is the right thing to do.