Sliding Barn Doors

Started by hpinson, November 11, 2012, 10:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

Adding a thread to hold information for sliding barn doors.  No affiliation-- just like what I see:

Real Carriage Door Co.

http://www.realcarriagedoors.com

This page is a goldmine of ideas:

FutureBumpkin

Perfectly imperfect and consistently inconsistent.

MountainDon

I saw that site when I was thinking of a rolling door for the little barn / shed I had planned. Pricey. Even the plain galvy farm type add up to a fair amount. Tractor Supply in Bosqur farms had the best prices I found in the area.  So I used a pair of conventional hinged doors for the 5 foot two inch wide door space.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

Most of this can be fabricated-- no way could I ever afford these otherwise. I like the last ones, the door rolling panel rolling on the stainless round or hex bars. That would make a great project. Stainless is a bear to turn and mill, but doable.

OT- Don-- where did you take your metal for recycling? I have a load and hate to pay to dispose of it at the landfill.

MountainDon

OT- Don-- where did you take your metal for recycling? I have a load and hate to pay to dispose of it at the landfill.
[/quote]

I've used a place on 2nd. Not sure of the name name, maybe Acme? They've been there "forever".

When feeling lazy or for small amounts of steel/iron that I don't want to leave sitting around I chop it and toss it in our big green recycle bin.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

These are sheets of metal roof.  I seem to return with endless trailer loads of them every time. Saving the better ones for some project, but lots are all twisted.  Not sure if they have any value, they are steel.

MountainDon

scrap metal; just like car fenders, etc.