Show unread posts since last visit.

Started by ChuckinVa, April 01, 2012, 08:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckinVa

I have noticed recently that when I sign in and go to unread posts there is nothing there. I have not changed any settings on my end and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Chuck it appears in "General" but there is nothing in "Off Topics".  I rarely use this feature.  I normally go to "Stats" and view most recent. 

ChuckinVa

It used to be that when I selected it it would bring up all topics that were unread since my last visit. Now the screen is blank usually, except when I tried it this time, this topic came up and one other.
ChuckinVa

Don_P

I think the inability to refresh is a cache problem on your machine... warning, all I know is the sweet spot seems to be the upper left corner of these things.

MountainDon

Nothing has been changed with the software that makes this thing run for months; January 4, 2012.  I use the mentioned feature everyday. It works fine for me. To clearing the cache I'd maybe add clear out the countryplans cookies, maybe and browser-computer remembered date/passwords, do a cold reboot if you have not and them wait and see.

When you see no new posts listed do you see any of the "new" icons by the topics when you look at the index of any one of the boards? Sometimes you will see some "new" icons by topic names in the board index even though nothing shows as new when you look at the "Show unread posts since last visit" list. That happens when someone has gone and edited a post. That won't come up in the "Show unread posts since last visit." list, but editing will cause the "new" icon to show in the index.

Have you tweaked anything in your browser setting, your theme choice or anything?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ChuckinVa

Yes. I see the "new" icons. I'm going to clear out the CP cookies and see what that does for me.
ChuckinVa

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Ernest T. Bass

It works great for me as long as I stay logged in and on the same machine. Sometimes if I log in from a different computer I get the "no results" screen.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

MountainDon

If you have not actually viewed all the recent unread topics that were presented in the list and logout and then back in "sometime" later, then the SMF software will not add the posts you did not read into the new list it makes up. I'm not sure what the time factor is, but it seems to be at least a few minutes. I think the same would happen if you started on one computer and switched to another computer before completing reading all on the list.  The "new" icon should still appear in the board topic list though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.