Good deal on a generator with free shipping

Started by itpdk9, February 11, 2012, 09:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itpdk9

Redoverfarm

I am not familar with Champion brand but if they are reliable then I would say it sounds like a pretty good buy.  But you might consider the next model up with remote start if you have plans on using it at a later date for suppling power to your build.  Yes $200 more but probably would be worth it rather than later trying to adapt another generator for remote start. 

itpdk9

they sell them at lowes and costco around here the same model for the regular price so this seems like a good deal.  I read the reviews on amazon and at cabelas all sound good.  I picked one up shipped to my house it was around 325. can't beat it if it doesn't work ill return it.

MountainDon

I think there are some owners of that brand here. I have seen them around; don't seem any worse than others. Probably loud (I did not read the specs).

Once you fuel and oil something like that returns for credit are difficult.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

This is the SAME exact generator that I am using.  Bought mine in 2008 I believe....run it a TON.

It was originally bought for the price ($300) and our tent trailer (to charge batteries and run the AC on hot days) and then when we bought the land and began building the cabin it was our only source of power.

Today it is still a lifesaver.

Also, I do not change the oil every 20 hours like I think the manual suggests (and so too a lot of people)....4 years on a $300 genny with oil changes a couple times a year (whether it needs it or not jkg)....if I had to change the oil every 20 hrs it would be useless to me because that could have nearly been daily in the fall of 2009!!!!

Anyway, 4 years running and going strong :)

itpdk9

glad to hear thats pretty much what all the reviews said, so i am looking forward to getting it.  [cool]

OlJarhead

I'll be honest, I bought it because it was cheap and for the longest time figured if it quit, so what.  Now, frankly, I'm quite happy with it and would likely fix it before replacing it.

We've had to replace the cord 2 or 3 times from constant use and often in damp and cold weather but that genny just keeps on keepin' on.

When I arrive at the cabin and it's 32 degrees out and the genny has been in the shed for a month but I know I'll need it, I just pull it out, flip it to on, set the choke and pull to start....a few pulls later it putters to life and I kill the choke.  Then it starts running like a champ (no pun intended)...and I flip the switch a minute or two later and walk away.

Only problem I've ever really had (other then the afore mentioned cord breaks) is the time it was about 100 out and we were camping and had been running the AC for about 8 hours.....yes 8 hours!  I decided it was time to shut the generator down and killed it.

Then it just seemed too bloody hot so I decided 'screw it' and tried to start it....no go.  It would not start no matter what.  I let it cool down completely and it fired right up.

Never had that problem again and that was 4 years ago!!!

MountainDon

OJH, I have to admit to running longer oil change intervals too, but I sooth my conscience by using 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic oil.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ChuckinVa

Quote from: itpdk9 on February 11, 2012, 09:10:56 AM
I am not sure if this is the right spot for this or not but I figured I would pass this along.  I think this is a pretty good deal with free shipping if you are in the market for a generator.  the reviews seem pretty good...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champion-3500-Watt-Generator/746396.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dchampion%2Bgenerator%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=champion+generator&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

By "free shipping" do you mean free in store Pick up? When I looked at the site it indicated a 19.99 freight charge plus a 14.00 up charge for a heavy item. The closest Cabela store to me is over 2 hours away so that is not practical with todays gas prices. I was just wondering if I missed something on the site that provided free shipping to your door?
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

itpdk9

right now if you add a piece of clothing it gives you shipping for one cent.  I added a 5.00 item and it gave me the shipping for 1 cent.  i have to check to see if it charged me the 14.00 large freight.  still cheaper than any other place i can find around here. hope that helps

ChuckinVa

Quote from: itpdk9 on February 12, 2012, 09:58:28 AM
right now if you add a piece of clothing it gives you shipping for one cent.  I added a 5.00 item and it gave me the shipping for 1 cent.  i have to check to see if it charged me the 14.00 large freight.  still cheaper than any other place i can find around here. hope that helps

I was looking at that and yes you are right it is still a good deal. Thanks, CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American