Bathroom design sizes and referencing code

Started by UK4X4, February 03, 2012, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirl

Wow, that is a great visualization code guide.  It lays out most of the relavent building codes with pictures all in one place.  Thanks.  [cool]

MountainDon

There is also a lot more information on that website that is useful and interesting.

Kitchen Ergonomics confirms feelings I had for years that kitchen counters are usually at least 3 inches too short. And bathroom vanities are even worse. It's worth the time to have a look around that web site.

Which reminds me of a story  ....

Almost three decades ago (gasp!) we were opening a new bigger retail store; remodeling an older building. One of the areas was a lunch room / staff lounge area.  I designed the lunchroom counter and sink to be 39" high. The hired carpenter came in, looked at the plan and said it was too high. Said it would never work. (I had designed a base platform to be built first and the cabinet base to be installed on that.) One of his criticisms centered around the fact that the plumber would expect the counter to be at 36". ... What? The plumber couldn't figure out the pipe would have to be longer? He built it as designed when he was given the choice of doing it to plan or not getting any of the work. It was funny and sad at the same time.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.