Got my plans and questions

Started by joe_landscaper, January 14, 2006, 03:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_landscaper

Jus t got my plans today, big enchilada and 20x30. The 14X24 will be the first to go up and I want to modify the plan to 14x28 with the 4ft storage loft expanded to 8'. Bridge will connect the two. Is a post needed to support these lofts? I thought I saw a picture with a post supporting the 8' loft in the gallery. I assume ( maybe not a good idea ) that 10' 2x6 walls balloon framed are adequate and will allow enough space, though tight, to utilize the loft bridge? My framing skills are limited to decks and patios I have constructed as a landscape contractor but I have a friend  (framing contractor) who is going to help me get the walls up. The property is 45 minutes in on a 4 wheel drive rd. No inspectors no permit. It will be a chore getting the materials in too. Thanks for your support. Feel like a kid in the candy store with my new plans. This site is awesome!!  3d architect in the mail too.

jraabe

Joe,

I'll assume you are taking the big sheet Builder's Cottage plan and doing the higher sidewall (p. E-6 in the booklet).

If you do the let-in band joist (ledger) shown on E-4, you can drop as many beams as needed for the deck and loft bridge. You will just have one more of these for the 8' storage loft extension.

I have the basic Builder's Cottage model in 3DHA at the PlanHelp site, that and the other freebies (Sunkit and Skylight and glazing details being two) might be worth the $29 to sign up.

See all the downloads here: http://www.planhelp.com/public/programs/opendownloads.cfm

joe_landscaper

John, Thanks, Joined Planhelp.com 2 days ago, just having a hard time opening the 3DHA files. I should have been clearer on one of my questions. On the Nash project I noticed they had a post supporting a beam, from the floor to the larger loft, suppoting the middle of the loft. Is this really necessary?

jraabe

No, not if you use the beam sizes shown on the plans.  Some folks may have reconfigured the loft adding weight to the end beam and then it might be needed. But not the way it is designed.