Little House Plan stud question

Started by Jared, January 13, 2006, 08:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Why does the Little House plans call for 92" studs instead of 8' studs?Is it because of the top and bottom plates? Also, at Lowes.com 92 5/8 is all I can find. Does that mean I'd trim off 5/8" from each stud? I'm trying to price how much a 14x14 would cost, so I'm just pricing the whole 14x24. I wanted a gambrel barn like I saw at Lowes (installed on your property for 6 grand!!), but couldn't find any plans online for that and couldn't find the building at Lowes.com. I want a small woodshop downstairs and she wants storage upstairs. We're wanting to build our own house and we both agree that a small building is the best way to start. But not for 6 thousand dollars. Also, for the "plate stock" what am I looking for? Just the longest 2x4 I can get?
Jared

glenn-k

92 5/8 is fine.  Finished out with 3 plates added it will give you about 8' 1" which is what you want so you can keep your sheetrock off the floor about 1/2" or so and have room for ceiling sheetrock to take 1/2 or 5/8.  Carpet or tile also takes a bit from the floor.

Sheetrock off the floor also keeps water spills, leaks etc. from soaking up into it.

Jared

Thanks! Is this "blocking stock" fire blocking? Would it be necessary if this is just a storage building?
Jared

jraabe

Tell me where you are finding that referral comment? Roof, wall? what page?

Jared

Sorry, it's in the "Shell Materials List" under gable roof and loft: 2x4 Blocking Stud.
Jared

jraabe

I think that is just for cutting the blocking used for the rafter spacing. I expect it will be clearer when you get your plans.