Log Design Values

Started by Don_P, January 08, 2011, 09:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

The code folks are rewriting part of the log standards and have posted the parts being rewritten for public comment. This is up for a short period and is of very limited use to most but a few of you work in logs and do a bit of your own engineering, here's an opportunity to pick up some tables free... yup my $35 is about to go obsolete, gotta love em  >:(. Anyway here's the link;
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/IS-LOG/Pages/2012.aspx
If it doesn't show immediately click on "type" at the bottom, it should show 3 files, the design values table is the bottom one, a couple of chapters of the standard are in the others... including the ammended energy section. It'll probably be up till late Feb, 2011 from the looks of it. If one of the admins sees this post after that feel free to delete this.

MountainDon

Sometimes I have to laugh at what my brain comes up with.   d*

I looked at the tables first. There's a column headed "Species or Species Combination" and another headed "Species Permitted To Be Included in
Combination"

"What?" I ask myself. "Do woods have issues of incompatibility like some metals do? (thinking steel-aluminum, and so on."

Then I see that NO, that's not it.  d*
It's what varieties can be included in the designation Douglas Fir - Larch, or Hem-Fir, or S-P-F, or....
::) ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

Does this mean that you have to update the tools on your site, Don?

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Don_P

Yes, they are changing the numbers  ??? I haven't studied it enough to see exactly what's going on but thought you for one might want to grab the table in this form to see both new and old numbers. The numbers won't change for a year or two yet so technically the old numbers are "good" but I'd use the lower value, new or old, until it settles. You can save any of my calcs, with the old numbers, onto your computer just make sure to replace it if and when I do update to the new numbers.

Shear numbers in dimensional lumber and beams changed several years ago and I changed what was needed.
I didn't realize until today when I was looking something else up on the ICC website that they had been working on modifying it. Several years ago I met and had a few emails with the engineer at TP that runs their physical lab. I'll check and see why they are modifying the numbers and whether it is from full size in grade testing or just what. It looks like grading duties have shifted around a bit and I did notice it looks like yellow poplar got dropped...great. I need to find and send them a copy of Dolly singing about the old poplar cabin   ;D

Ernest T. Bass

:) You're really on top of things, Don.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Don_P

Yeah, the dogs aren't travelling far this time of year. It's pretty easy to be on top of things  :D.