NY State

Started by countryangie, June 19, 2007, 05:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryangie

Hi everyone, am in the process of closing on vacant land (nearly 20 acres) in Cattaraugus county, New York (near Ellicottville and Franklinville).  Wanted it for hunting, fishing, vacation.  Has a couple trailers on it that will need moved, and a foundation for a 20x20 cabin.  (THere was one and it burned down.)  Hubby & I live about an hour to an hour and a half away, a suburb of Buffalo, NY.  Goal is to build a cabin and eventually add on when we decide to have it be our permanent home.  (I have the tools to work freelance so that's a plus already).  Land is very pretty and not far from a trout creek.  Steady slope with pines, apple trees, already has electric pole and well.  Will be by this site often!  Am reading all the posts I can.  Thanks to everyone for answers thus far.....  Angie

benevolance

sounds like you got a great place to retire out to

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, Angie.

It's hard to think of NY as anything but city however I understand that after you get away from the city the country is quite nice there.

My grandfather was born in Dolgeville, NY 1890
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tjm73

To put some perspective on the land and the percieved notion that all of NY is city. It takes just over 6 hours to drive from Ellicottville to NYC. And In NY we have a Forever Wild area called The Adirondacks that is 6.1 million acres of wild land. No bicycles, cars, no motorized vehicles of any kind. Pure wild land. If you want to see it, start hiking.

countryangie

QuoteTo put some perspective on the land and the percieved notion that all of NY is city. It takes just over 6 hours to drive from Ellicottville to NYC. And In NY we have a Forever Wild area called The Adirondacks that is 6.1 million acres of wild land. No bicycles, cars, no motorized vehicles of any kind. Pure wild land. If you want to see it, start hiking.

Agreed!  The Adirondacks are just beautiful.  We go fishing nearby at Black Lake/1000 Islands every once in while.  That's still 4-4.5 hours away from us.  My fave area of NYS is probably on Lake Ontario near Somerset/Barker/Newfane (northestern Niagara County) but the Franklinville site is worth it.  Now we're just going through the closing process and "trying" to be "patient."  Ha ha.  

Lots of good ideas and pictures I've found so far.  We probably won't be building until a couple years but figured we have to start somewhere.....so we have time to dream and plan.

Angie

Amanda_931

That means you have time to learn about how your land works.  

E.G., where the wet weather springs are.

Not under you house is a good idea.

What view you want when you sit with your morning coffee.  (forget about curb appeal, go for your view)

Nicky

It's a gorgeous area indeed! I'm curious if it's my sister in law's old place. Is there a silo on the lot? And a pond on the other side of the road down a little further? When the house burnt, they lost absolutely everything... burned right to the ground. It's so important to have safety measures in place when heating with a wood stove indoors.

We're in Hawaii now (DH is army), but we'll be following in your footsteps with a cabin in the woods after retirement. Upstate NY is definitely a beautiful area to live. :)

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum, Nicky.

We haven't heard back from Angie but you might try her e-mail.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Nicky

Oops! I didn't realize how old this thread was.

Thanks for the welcome!  ;D

countryangie

Am back!  :)
thanks for your welcomes

Amanda, you are so right!  We  had such a dry summer last year that what we thought would be a good site might not be ... there are two underground springs in the area we were first thinking of.  Might have to guess again......

Nicky, no, I doubt it was your sister's property from what you said, sorry to hear about her bad luck.

Weeds were 3' high when first bought ... thanks to the hand-held mower my hubby cut 'em all!  Now it's just maintenance.

Still exploring options re cabin vs mobile vs RV vs prefab large shed we'd customize ... considering everything from time, money, taxes, prep work (we are still cleaning up the cr@p the previous owners dumped there! Plus caring for trees etc.) ... not even sure if we can use the piers from previous cabin but we do know now that the land there is pretty good, drainage-wise.  Hmm.  Part of the work might already bew done for us, then!

Will post pictures too, and a blog under the Builder/Owner part if we decide to go the route of building our own.  Thanks!

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the update Angie.  We hope to hear more from you.

John_M

Hi there Angie,

w*

I have property in Farmersville, NY.  We are near Harwood Lake.  We love it.   We own 36 acres and spend as much time there as we can.  We too live about an hour away in Lancaster.

We bought the property about 11 years ago and put a few trailers on it.  It was good for a while and since then we have added electricity a road to drive up and a 1/3 acre pond.

My wife and I are in the process of building a cabin and my Unlce who owns the property with us just purchased a 12 x 60 mobile home. 

We are preparing to drill a well and install a septic system next!  Good luck with your property.

I assume you are somewhere off of Rt 16 or 242?  Trout creek would maybe be the Ischua?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

jbos333

Hi, everyone! In particular, country angie and John M since it's nice to see "local" folks on here (Western NY). I own about 70 acres in Cattarugus Co. (Town of New Albion) right near Little Valley. I have been checking in here quite frequently for ideas, etc. and have posted a few questions and have gotten lots of good info. My land currently has only a utility building 24 x 24 with electric service approx 300 ft off road. I am trying to do my homework so I can eventually live there full time, my main concern right now is the fuel prices and commute time to a job of some sort. I currently live in Boston, NY about a 45 minute drive from the land. My current employment would be about 1 hour commute each way in good weather. I know that seems short to a lot of people on here but to me it just seems too long. But, as usually is the case, the jobs real close to where I WANT to live are very few and far between. So I guess I will be a weekender for a while till I figure it out.....

glenn kangiser

Maybe something with great fuel economy could help but that doesn't make the drive better.

spiralsands

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 19, 2007, 09:53:35 PM
Welcome to the forum, Angie.
It's hard to think of NY as anything but city however I understand that after you get away from the city the country is quite nice there.
My grandfather was born in Dolgeville, NY 1890

[cool] Wowie!! I bought a little bitty 23.5 acres just outside of Dolgeville in 2006! It's rolling hills, pasture and woods. I camped there last summer and wanna go back as soon as possible but I gotta wait till the daughter graduates college. I'm new to this forum and still exploring but this old thread caught my eye because all I wanna do is go back to the Dolgeville area.

Frances

glenn kangiser

That is really cool. 

w* to the forum, Frances and please post some pix if you can.

It appears several of my family were there for a bit then some stayed in NY and Mass, then my great granddad went to Arkansas, found out it wasn't compatible with Lithuanians as they lost 5 kids there, so went to Oregon.

SouthernTier

Old topic, but what the heck...

As you can see from my login, yet another Buffalo area resident making the weekendly trek down to beautiful Cattaraugus Co, for me, Little Valley (real close to Ellicottville, actually).

Got 11 acres and lots of plans, just no money right now.  Got the 22 x 25 cabin designed down to the 1/16" on CAD but its construction is still a few of years off.  

Building a 10x10 shed now for the meantime to store things with (no permit needed).  Got everything cleared with the building inspector so no problems later on when the cabin gets started.

It's always funny to me when people think NYC when talking about NY.  NYC is an 8-hour dirve away in another world.  The southern tier of central and western NY is heaven and an outdoor-lover's paradise.

jbos333

Hi, LittleValley!

I have posted in this thread/forum a few times.... I have some land a few minutes' drive from the villiage of LV. I too am planning on building a "camp/home" there. I don't know exactly what town you are in; when people say Little Valley, it could be New Albion, like myself, or Napoli, Mansfield, etc.

I see you are planning a 22x24? structure; I already have a 24x24 pole barn w/ concrete that I was thinking of converting to a "camp", however I like another location on the property better and I was thinking of going w/a berm structure. I checked with New Albion inspector, he stated 800 Sq. Ft. minimum for anything requiring a Cert of Occupancy. Do you have that sf restriction? PM me if you want.

dabones

Oh wow..  we have lots of Southern Tier people on here..  Thats awesome!!

I am new to this site, I got the link from a friend after mentioning to him about another forum very similar to this one, with alot of the same members I see.. lol.. :)

We have 5 Acres of land in the Hinsdale and Cuba area..  :)  It's partially a Hill and then levels out to what has turned into a wetland area, due to the beavers building a zillion dams!  we would have liked more acreage, but this was available and at a great price that I didnt' have to finance, so it's all mine! :) lol.

We used to camp at Allegany State Park alot, but we got tired of the noisy neighbours and wanted to be able to do what we want, and be able to build a cabin and such.. :) 

Our home is in Ontario Canada, so we have a 3.5hr drive to the land when we go, but it's not that bad of a drive, we leave early enough in mornings to avoid Border delays.. :)   We get the benifit of being able to buy stuff in the US often..  and I can buy my cheap Keith's Beer at the Duty Free on the way down every other weekend or so.. :) 

Right now we just have an old tent trailer (that I have made solid wooden sides for, because it was very old and canvas was beyond rotten) sitting down on the lot..  but within the next couple yrs we plan on having a Cabin for my wife and I, and as well having some little 'huts' for our kids to camp in..  we just bougt the property last Fall, so this past summer was the first season down there, and most of that was spent getting the area cleaned up and such..  also we only had weekends, since I started a new job and had no weeks off for holidays :( ..   I did set up a small solar system for power, (30W panel and 3 car batteries, 200W inverter...  runs the LED xmas lights and table lamp w/CFL and radio just fine for now) and we bring in water from home for washing and drinking..

anyways, glad to be on this forum too, lots of great idea's here  :)
Barely getting started on my land, what a wonderfull place to get away from Home.. :)

AdironDoc

Wow, plenty of New Yorkers here! I'll chime in too and say hello from Long Island. I live in the suburbs, work in the city, and regain my sanity in the southern edge of the Adirondacks in mid-Herkimer county.  :)

I was originally looking for a spot in the Catskills, but the prices have risen over the years, as have the regulations on perc testing, septic, wells, etc. Driving ever northward I eventually found myself north of the Catskills in Delhi, Andes, etc. Since I was now over 3 hours from home I decided to try staying on the Thruway and found in the same time I was nearly in the Adirondacks. The land was cheaper, less regulation. The rest is history.

BTW Glenn, I saw your family is from Dolgeville. My camp is very closeby and I'm often doing my shopping there.

I never get tired of listening to the big difference in accent when I speak with my neighbors up there. I've learned alot from them like my land is called a camp. My river is a "crick", and the deer I saw are referred to as "tails". Friendly folks. But I've still got a lot to learn :)

sapcpo

Hello  people,, I too have a place in Cattaraugus county near Franklinville.. We have about 40 acres with lots of ideas for a small cabin someday soon I hope. I have been having fun hunting and planting trees on the property. Just have a small shed and a camper now.  And a tractor just recently.I like this site alot with all the cool ideas and construction. Hopefully I can post with my cabin pics in the future.  I like speedfunks place and all the detailed pics. Great Job!! 

jbos333

Hi sapcpo,

I a looking to start building this spring, hopefully, not too far from you in Catt. co. , town of New Albion.

kenhill

Parents grew up in Remsen and Old Town Webster.  I grew up in Phelps.  Now in Alaska!

bobrok

Hello forum!
I'm a newly signed up member and thought this would be the best thread on which to place my 1st post.
I live in the Finger Lakes area of WNY and have a camp in the Adirondacks.
I see some familiar member names.  Wish I had known about this forum before today!
bobrok

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.