Garden thread.

Started by peg_688, April 12, 2006, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

So you're saving the aphids for dessert?

I love brussel sprouts tho' I the last time I bought them the cashier looked at 'em and then me kinda funny. Same clerk queried me about the white carrots too . (parsnips for those who only eat Bird's Eye or C&W.)

glenn-k

A special treat, Don.  Our garden is full of parsnips.  We let them re-seed themselves.  They make lots of seed.  We like to eat them French fried like... well ...  French Fries.

MountainDon

We also like them roasted alongside a good beef roast. Roast the potatoes too. Toss in an onion. MMmmmm Good!  :) :)

benevolance

Once you have had parsnips cut as french fries instead of potatoes you will never want potatoes again...

Did not know about them re-seeding themselves...what do you do just leave some in the ground to spread their seeds around?

we always took an iron bar...you know the kind you drive in the ground for fencing...and get it a foot deep or so and go around with the bar to make a cone shaped hole...Drop a few seeds in there and leave it alone...Let the parsnip grow to fill the hole

glenn-k

Parsnips - kinda like carrots - about the second season make seed and take care of the seeding work for you.  I pulled a whole pan full of carrots out of the garden last week - yummy - sweet - seems all store bought veggies are bitter.

Never heard of the digging bar trick - but then again - just as well - I'd just put a hole in my ceiling. :-/

peg_688

What a non adminstration to do  :o

glenn-k

Off topic posts have been removed.

Right PEG - while it wasn't meant seriously it is now back to the garden.  Sorry about that. :-/  

benevolance

Glenn

I hate it when you edit out all the good stuff....In the future wait at least until I get a chance to read and get the jokes before you pull everything out of here will you?

peg_688

Ya I was just kidding Daddy ::)  Hoy vey , talk about a over reaching Govt/ Admininstrator ;D ;D  

Hey Pettie nice trees , your kinda short eh! I thought I could hear that in yer typin  ;D Sorta midget like,  eh!  ;D

Now don't go edit my stuff again there Glenn bob! Well unless I'm really outta line  :-[ Which should never happen! ::)

MountainDon

QuoteOnce you have had parsnips cut as french fries instead of potatoes you will never want potatoes again...
Sounds like I should try that. Don't have deepfryer tho'; is that how you do yours?  Maybe frying in Olive Oil?   :-[

benevolance

Peg
Yeah I am not very tall....5 foot 10..... :)....Perfection comes in all shapes and sizes...

benevolance

Don

Yeah deep frying anything is nasty...You can use sunflower or extra virgin olive oil..... There is no deep fat fryer in my house either...

I have used a pot with olive oil to fry things....I think 4 times in the last 3 years.... Wse try to stay away from anything fried...no matter how strict you are with trying to use the best vegetable oils out there...

What I like to do with my Parsnip is to cut them in slices  like silver dollars.... and throw them in the pan...With a little butter and pepper... and fry them that way.... they get golden brown and I eat them that way with a little ketchup.... Good luck

glenn-k

I'm about the same elevation, Peter- I think I claim 5' 9 1/2"  and also have to admit -- Quite the picture of perfection. ::)

Some of us grow much taller - that's scary, because it's so much farther to the ground when we fall. :)

glenn-k

Also - I like my parsnips like french fries - long skinny fried in coconut oil or butter.  I like things that really taste good - not always that are good for me.

glenn-k

As to my editing, guys --- near any perceived complaint will cause me to edit, but other than that I won't do much.  I probably edit myself more than anybody else.  I was born without a sense of decency so have to try to read what others think. :)

I try to keep it to what my mother would think if she read what I posted  here, :o

then would walk out of the room shaking her head and crying. :-/  

I think anything just above that threshold is probably OK.

benevolance

Glenn

I love deep fried parsnips...I just tried to give up fried foods... I eat them in restuarants once in a while...I try to stay away from them though....

I am not going to live forever...But I do not want to be on blood thinners taking 20 pills a day to stay alive after a heart operation either.... My uncle had a quintuple bypass and he is on more meds than you would ever believe... Sure he is 84 and doing pretty well.... but takes 20 pills a day....

If I can avoid that I am going to...if it means less fried food so be it...I think it a worthy trade off.

benevolance

Glenn

I wish I was taller... but you know...I got over it by the time I was about 17 and stopped growing...Played a lot of basketball and baseball growing up....and it sucked because I was the best hitter in three counties...and a fair basketball player...The other kids just kept getting bigger....*LOL*

I am still the best hitter in three counties...Played some charity softball a few years ago....Broke the lights...Hit one off the lights shattered it down the right field line (yes I am left handed...) telephone pole in the outfield for lights... lights at the top of the pole...

I never got another pitch to hit the rest of the tournament...And it was for charity...*LOL*.... Growing up I would always get asked to play baseball on mens teams in money torunaments and I was only 14 and 15...and I was batting cleanup...Hehe mostly because I started hitting homeruns when I was about 13.... I am old now...But I do get to the batting cage a bout once a year...Love to just feel the bat smack the piss out of the ball...That sound when you hit it perfectly... over and over...

The neighbor who is 14 was walking to the park the other day with a bat and a glove so I asked if he wanted to  hit a little I would throw him batting practice... and then he threw batting practice....He is tall and lanky...6 foot 1 I would say....I showed him a few things and his hitting is going to improve a lot.... when I started putting balls into the tennis courts beyond the outfield fence he started to pay close attention to batting lessons... :)

I really miss coaching little league....Very rewarding to teach kids to play the game properly and see them excell....To see their confidence soar and then they feel good about themselves...

Wow getting off topic...Oh yeah.. height.... well I never let mine  determine what I could or could not do... I am a couple inches taller than my dad and 4 inches taller than my grandfather...My Brother was lucky he got to about 6 foot... I hope my kids are a little taller than me.... My wife has a little more height genes in her family..she is 5 foot 6.. Her dad is 6 foot... So there is a little hope for the next generation of Ross revolutionaries.... ;)

Just goes to show that it is the size of the fight in the dog not the other way around...

MountainDon

Everything is a trade off. You just have to prioritize everything on your own personal list. And keep in mind that the all vegan, bicycling non owner of an automobile, etc. person may get run over by a concrete mixer tomorrow while you may live on into your next century while indulging yourself in the occasional "fatburger" and fries or whatever.

Restaurant food, BTW, is really not good for you on the whole. It tastes great because they use loads of real butter, lots of salt; and so on. They serve a minimal amount of veggies; but it's oh-so-good.

benevolance

Well I read a book once explaining how nasty margarine is for you...We use only real butter now...
I laugh when I see people eating diet peanut butter and skim milk....

They eat at Mc Donalds or whatever 3 times a week and each meal they comsume at those places is several days worth of calories and a week's worth of fat....And then they try to balance that out by eating styrofoam rice cakes with skim milk and something that looks like but does not taste like butter...

We drink whole milk here and use real butter... This year we will have all homegrown veggies...We killed the deep fried foods...We have killed off the fast food for the most part....I still drink coca cola and that is bad for you...

switched to whole wheat everything pasta included....this winter all our preserves will be homemade also... I do not think it is easily done to get 100% natural...But I would like to get 80% natural.... Trying to convince my wife to switch to brown sugar....Our bodies absorb it better It is much better for us....Dunno how a coffee would taste with brown sugar in it....Anyone want to try it and let me know?

glenn-k

When I am on restaurant food for a week or so I usually start getting heartburn and in general feeling crappy.

Nothing better than food from our garden - even vegetables bought at a store cannot compare in flavor to the ones we grow.  Possibly our local  organic farmers market would have vegetables etc. as good as ours.

Corporate foodmills cannot compete.  Big empty vegetables they produce don't have the same quality.

MountainDon

Yeow! That's some parsnip.   :)

glenn-k

Cooking pictures I took yesterday didn't come out great so today we pulled another batch to eat and tried it again.  

If you haven't had them before, imagine the flavor of a sweet potato, regular potato and a carrot combined and fried in coconut oil .  Sprinkle it liberally with salt as with French fries and it's really yummy.  Don't expect any of these to be left for leftovers.

glenn-k

peg_688

Well got a break in the rain finally roto tilled the garden , 1 st go round this year , hope to add some cow manure soon , then do another turn over of the dirt.

Pressure washed the deck as well ,

Then this odd , wierd thing showed up , sort of scared me at first , wonder what it is , sure was warm .

;) ;D