Foundation Plugin for SketchUp

Started by Medeek, July 04, 2016, 02:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

Wow! That is the deep end of the pool  :D

hpinson

Can you guys recommend a wall plugin and a roof plugin? I see there are a few - not sure what is best.

ChugiakTinkerer

I use Medeek's truss plugin for truss and rafter generation.  I'm actually a little behind in keeping up with the versions that Medeeek has cranked out.  For wall generation I have a plugin that I can't remember the name of at the moment.  It's one of the free ones that has been available for a while.  It makes simple layout real easy, but for detail work I end up creating my own walls.  I am not a production designer, just a diy guy wanting to build a cabin so I can afford to waste time futzing with stuff in Sketchup.  Having spent the last three nights developing cut lists and story boards, I think it would be worthwhile to have a plugin that can do that for you.  I'd probably pay a few hundred dollars if it could do it well.

Edit: Medeek's plugin will do roof sheathing too.  I think his latest version will do roofing material.  I purchased a license, which provides for free upgrades for a year.  It wasn't much money and definitely worth my trivial investment.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Medeek

The polygon tool for the slab-on-grade foundations is nearing completion.  I've got the concrete, perimeter rebar, internal footings and even anchor bolts all working.

The only item still pending is the slab reinforcement (mesh/bar).  I've been contemplating devising my own boolean subtraction tool.

I've even managed to create a fillet tool based on TIG's 2D tools that properly applies the correct bend radius to the perimeter rebar.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

I'm still using the Housebuilder plugin for walls since my own wall plugin is still not there yet, but I'm hoping to get something out in the near future.

Medeek

I think I've got the slab reinforcement working now.  I haven't tested it enough to determine if its really robust enough to release another update but I'll keep testing.

I owe Sdmitch big time for this one.  I've integrated his rebar trim function into the plugin to create a new module that trims the slab rebar or mesh.  I am still trying to figure out exactly how the magic is done but most of it is over my head.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/7d64c1ab-bb1a-47a2-9fb4-4cf3553e7cec/Foundation-4

A mesh reinforced slab though can get quite heavy with the polygon count so it may only have limited usefulness.

Medeek

I haven't fully compiled a TODO List for this plugin yet but there are still a number of items that need to be addressed.

- A hole cutting tool that removes the concrete and the rebar and any anchor bolts in the way.
- Square and Rectangular Footings for point loads
- Strip Footings
- A line tool for the stemwall module
- Retaining Walls with Engineering
- Ability to step foundation walls
- Webdialog input for SOG and Stemwall so that interior footings can be configured with ease.

Let me know if there is anything you would like to add to this list.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Medeek on April 09, 2017, 08:35:43 PM
I'm still using the Housebuilder plugin for walls since my own wall plugin is still not there yet, but I'm hoping to get something out in the near future.

That's the one, thanks!
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Medeek

Version 1.1.0 - 04.14.2017
- Added polygon outline tool for slab-on-grade and slab.
- Enabled perimeter rebar, anchor bolts, and slab reinforcement for (polygon) slab-on-grade foundations.
- Enabled slab reinforcement for (polygon) slabs.

Medeek

Version 1.1.1 - 04.23.2017
- Added polygon outline tool for stemwall foundation.
- Enabled perimeter rebar, anchor bolts, vents, and internal footings for (polygon) stemwall foundations.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/d8dec962-1fb4-4637-adcd-7406fef4e9df/Stemwall-Foundation-POLYGON

The next improvement would be a web_diaolog input so that more than one internal footing can be specified at a time.

Medeek

Using the rectangular floor primitives I was able to manually create the floor on the previous foundation in about 30 minutes:

If I create the polygon floor tool I will be able to accomplish the same thing in under 10 seconds.  The polygon floor tool in the truss plugin is next...

Medeek

The trim tool in the Truss Plugin comes in quite handy when dealing with more complex foundation geometry:

For this foundation I used the stemwall (rectangle and polygon) function and the slab (polygon) function.  I had to trim the garage stemwall and also manually create the smaller interior post/beam assemblies.  I also adjusted the position of some of anchor bolts once I cut the doors into the garage stemwall.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/4ed9f28d-11e4-4166-b698-b3cd734cd2a1/Foundation-7

Medeek

Version 1.1.2 - 05.06.2017
- Added "Circle Segments" option within the global settings, rebar and mesh polygon counts can now be controlled.

In this example I set the segment number to "5".

The global setting circle segment number will default to 24.

Medeek

Some common configurations of concrete columns:

Medeek

I've had a request for adding the option of insulation around a slab on grade, in short a frost protected shallow foundation (FPSF).

This should not be too hard to add in.  There are a number of resources online I will study to come up with the most standard configuration as possible.

Are there any particular things anyone would like to see with regards to FPSF insulation.

Medeek

An FPSF with 2" foam insulation along the wall and vertically.  2.5" foam insulation at the corners with the following horizontal dimensions:

A = 12"
B = 24"
C = 40"

The rectangle foundation is easy, the polygon shaped foundation will be more challenging.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ab622b36-cc2f-43f8-baa4-f93ceec80741/FPSF

Medeek

An irregular shaped FPSF, note the 135 deg. corners.  Once this angle becomes greater than 135 degrees I would probably just treat it the same as a straight wall.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/bfcf8f49-0e4e-4932-a42c-06121a20fd73/FPSF2

Medeek

Version 1.1.3 - 06.03.2017
- Added "FPSF" option to rectangular slab-on-grade foundations.
- Added an insulation layer in the global settings under the "Layers" tab.

Medeek

- Added "FPSF" option to rectangular stemwall foundations.

Medeek

Working on the square/rectangle spread footing tool:

I will start with wood posts as an option with the following sub-options for the wood post:

Post Size:  4x4, 4x6, 6x6, 6x8, 8x8
Post Height (in.)
Post Base:  None, ABA, ABU, ABW, CBSQ
Post Cap:  None, CCQ, ECCQ
Post Rotation:  0, 90, 180, 270

I also plan on having the option for steel posts with the following sub-options:

Post Size:  HSS4x4x1/2, HSS4x4x3/8, HSS 4x4x1/4, HSS3x3x3/8 etc...  (round and square tube)
Post Height (in.)
Base Plate Size (in.) - square shape L x L
Base Plate Thickness (in.)
Base Plate Hole Dia. (in.): 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 (4 bolts per baseplate)
Vert. Offset (in.)  - for non-shrink grout
Post Cap:  Not sure what to do with this yet.
Post Rotation:  0, 90, 180, 270

I've been contemplating using the Simpson Strong-Tie post caps and bases as provide in the warehouse but I'm worried that the polygon count is too high.  I may have to generate my own dumbed down versions.

Medeek

Added "FPSF" option to polygon slab-on-grade foundations:

Medeek

An octagon slab on grade (FPSF).  Note that the angle of the corners is 225 degrees, any less and the corner treatment would go away. 

azgreg

Do you plan to do anything with plumbing etc.?

Medeek

Added "FPSF" option to polygon stemwall foundations.

Now I've thoroughly beaten the FPSF option to death, the only thing I might add in later is a global setting to change the insulation color to pink, blue or white.

Medeek

Quote from: azgreg on June 05, 2017, 06:54:46 PM
Do you plan to do anything with plumbing etc.?

Tell me more about plumbing or other features you would like to see with this plugin.  I still have a number of things I would like to add but I am slowly chipping away at the todo list.