Little cuts and not cleaning the insignificant wound!

Started by UK4X4, October 03, 2015, 02:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

I write to you today on my second night in hospital and just wanted to pass on the story to the rest of you rough  and ready outdoorsy building types......

Mon-  knocking  down the center of a 125 year old Victorian chimney breast, covered in dust , wearing shorts caught the center of my knee on a sharp thin metal fin or cover on the back of the oven I'd moved out of the way, thought to myself ouch that's going to hurt me later, but as I was in the middle of fitting a lintle  just carried on and got it cemented in place, later I washed and cleaned myself, and had the usual cuts an grazes  associated with manual labor, the knee slice hadn't even bled.....
Tues- ripped out under the lintle and cut back some cavity walls I,d ripped out previously with a diamond blade.no issues, having fun.
Weds 3 am knees painful and couldn't sleep just thought it was a usual knee pain from moving my butt from the office to a planned active holiday
Got up early as couldn't sleep, an took a look, some one had added half a bright red grapefruit to the front of my knee, call the docs, get on the pills,
Drew around the infection weds night, Thursday night and Friday morning,  the zone of infection was growing.

So off too accident and emergency I went on Friday morning , was admitted and am still here, looks like they,ll be cutting open my knee to get at the bugs busily multiplying on my scapula,  and will probably be here till Tuesday. ....

Lesson learned chaps, the smallest most insignificant injuries still need cleaning ! And probably best done when it happens

Doc couldnt even see the wound, as the metal was so thin and sharp , the 1/2" wound just closed up over the hitchhiking microbes and held them inside to fester and multiply

Rys

Adam Roby

Ouch... sorry to hear that.  Hope all goes well from this point on.
You hear rumors of paper cuts causing amputations and such, but rarely do you think anything will happen to you.

Don_P

It's easy to do, hopefully you're on the mend. Take care of your gastro track, yogurt, cheese, kraut, fermented things. It's easy for the antibiotics to leave a sterile gut that is easily colonized by bad bacteria.

rick91351

Quote from: Don_P on October 03, 2015, 08:50:57 PM
It's easy to do, hopefully you're on the mend. Take care of your gastro track, yogurt, cheese, kraut, fermented things. It's easy for the antibiotics to leave a sterile gut that is easily colonized by bad bacteria.

UK Buddy you get well!  And listen to Doctor Don!   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Dang, Uke.
I get those all the time.
Don't even think about it.
Thing is, I have onion paper thin Irish skin.
If I'm not bleedin', I'm outta blood.

My last pretty good one was, well, a pretty good one;

Git that infection taken care of.
'For ya know it, you'll be up and crawlin' around with the rest of us.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

UK4X4

At least that's a decent wound, by the time I got to A&E, you couldn't  even see a mark...... the swellings caused a restriction to my blood flow, and now I have gout in my foot, same leg....just lovely 1st week of my holiday !

Have so many things planned to finish at the house, and instead I'm laid here.

Ordered some yogurts from the wife , the aniseed  morphine shots they do here are pretty good though !

Don_P

I'm pretty sure the poppy is directly related to the cork oak. Better have her get the milk of amnesia and some stool softeners too  :).

I did one similar years ago, a small barked shin and several days later couldn't walk and running the red streak. That spot has reinfected twice more over the years, once requiring antibiotics again. Those little buggers can get in deep and hole up sometimes. Teddy Roosevelt, one tough human, who once gave a speech after being shot in the chest, succumbed to a bacterial infection he had picked up in the Amazon years earlier. This is a good reminder that those little cuts and scrapes can easily and quickly become serious.

Didn't work Gary, I'm having the new raspberry jelly on sweet potato waffles for breakfast  c* with sausages.

MountainDon

fermented foods, not drink, are great for getting a gut back into shape after a course of anti-biotics.  Also good foryou all the rest of the year.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

Quote from: Don_P on October 04, 2015, 08:18:48 AM
Didn't work Gary, I'm having the new raspberry jelly on sweet potato waffles for breakfast  c* with sausages.

Gave it a shot
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

UK4X4

Finally looks like I'm clear of the infection ! Took another two sets of antibiotics, it came back after the first week out of hospitals course, about 3 days after the last tablets, completed another week and this time ....5 days later it hasn't came back !

Gout took a week and a half to go down, foots still slightly swollen but at least have stopped taking tablets !

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

oh crap, its back again, off to the docs this afternoon, to get some more antibiotics...then when I'm home next week I guess they might need to schedule me an operation to open it up and see whats wrong...

all from a little cut...you cant even see

MountainDon

Oh crap is right. So sorry to hear about the recurrence. Been there, done that, no fun.