Don and Peter's Hot Rod Corner

Started by MountainDon, February 13, 2007, 12:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Yep Rick,  a lot of familiar names that bring back lots of old memories.   :) :)

Garlits, Prudhomme and Ivo are still alive I believe. Not sure about the Mongoose though. Our regional heroes were Tom Hoover and Doc Holliday who ran out of Minnesota. Hoovers AA fuel dragster was the irst one I ever saw with reverse gear. That was a real surprise. At the time I was an assistant line man and our main job was to drag them back to the start line ater their burnout. Hoover did a big burnout and let himsel roll way down the track. Three os us looked at each other and said WTF!. Everyone else would slam on the brakes to make the job easier. Anyhow we ran off to get the car and the next thing we knew he was backing up.  :o

I had a friend in high school was a distant relative of Honest Charley hisself.   :D  

Those were the days, although I was split between drag racing and sports car road racing.  [crz]

Thanks or reviving the memories.   :) :) :)

How about Dean Moon and mooneyes...... and moon discs.....  baby moons.....  

look at all the flathead goodies at honest charley's

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Hey Don... one of the pix above of the driver's seat is odd.  It seems to be either missing a clutch or a brake.  Unless the thing was just running WOT all the time  :)
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Good eye Frank. Those 2 pedals go through the floor like a clutch and brake would so the gas pedal is missing.  ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Quote from: NM_Shooter on December 02, 2009, 10:14:53 AM
Hey Don... one of the pix above of the driver's seat is odd.  It seems to be either missing a clutch or a brake.  Unless the thing was just running WOT all the time  :)

I noticed that too, but just thought it was because I'm not that "car savvy"   ;D

Anybody ever see this video?  Pretty amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfxwTUCaocA&feature=player_embedded
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

NM_Shooter

It appears that the right front tire completed the 1/4 mile in 10.69, and the drivers seat made it in 10.80.

Not bad for a normally aspirated piece of upholstery. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

diyfrank

Home is where you make it

Redoverfarm

Not sure whether this has been posted before but here it is anyway.  Some will remember and others just wish.

http://cruzintheavenue.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

eddiescabin

Just spotted this thread...my brother recently re-purchased his first car, a 1966 Chevelle SS (true 138 car).  It only took him like 30 years to do it!  He just dropped a ZZ502 and 6 speed Tremac tranny in. To say it is fast is an understatement.  Part of the "break in" straight from Chevy was to get into the motor pretty hard, in short bursts. Think approaching redline.  This was difficult as 1/2 throttle scared the crap out of us!  Then , where does one find a suitable road for such? (well, in California anyway)  the freeway onramps were the best we could do.  Tough watching my older brother having a mid life crisis, but after he rebuilt a large home in Cali on just weekends for the last 5 years he owed himself a toy.  It sounds amazing, runs like a new car and that crate motor came with a warranty.  It's a 1966, but it's also a new car.

MountainDon

There was a local free hot rod show in the park today. I took a walk around. There were a couple hundred vehicles. This was one of my favorites.

1953 Chevy COE. 500 cu in Caddy engine with front wheel drive, custom rear box.

John Raabe

What a great ride. GM could learn a thing or two from this.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sassy

waggin

My newest hot rod: 1978 Ford Fairmont 
Why?  I like boxy cars with a flat decklid.  Oh, and practically everything on the Fox platform Mustangs (1979-1993) will bolt to this car's chassis.  These things weigh less than 3,000# too, so a 5 liter V8 and a 5-speed transmission will make for a really fun driver.  This one is originally from Arizona, and it looks like it sat for most of its life.  I believe the 62k miles showing are original.  The body is in excellent shape, but the interior is toast.  Cool feature on these is the aluminum bumpers, and this one came without any bumper guards or trim, resulting in the no-hole, smooth surface.  There is a plate that fits behind the bumpers and has the mounts back there.  This car was a stripper model and came with the 200ci 6 cylinder, 3-speed manual transmission, manual steering, and manual brakes.  It's going to stay as-is for a while, but eventually it will get the 5-liter swap.  Even then, I think it would be cool to stick with some steel wheels and dog-dish hubcaps.  I like sleepers  ;D

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

glenn kangiser

I'm all for the old cars.  No black boxes to rat me out etc.

I put a Weber carb with a manual choke on my Jeep.  What a neat feeling to be able to pump the gas pedal 4 or 5 times, pull the choke and crank the starter... so cool - it doesn't just start up like that new fuel injected junk... nope - stop cranking.... pump it a few more times, crank again and then it starts.

....and the smell of the exhaust fumes as it warms up.... now that's what I call a real truck....
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

waggin

I was pleasantly surprised by the nostalgic feeling when I first drove it, something about the manual steering, manual brakes, and a 3-speed manual trans.  Supposedly, there's a radio block-off plate somewhere in the trunk.  When i find it, I'll install it. 
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

MountainDon

Definitly keep the body as is and the cheap hub caps. Way back I had a friend who had a 69 Checy Biscayne 2 door sedan, the cheapest thing in a full size Chevy. But he special ordered with the 396.  Plain white, a real sleeper.    :)

zion-diy

Quote from: MountainDon on September 05, 2008, 12:06:36 AM
A Chevy Motorcycle

Just had to bring up an old post. speaking of motorcycles, E J Potter aka the  michgan madman may have had the first chevy powered bike. first with carbs, then hilborn injection, and finally, a  jet powered trike. :o

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

zion-diy

forgot the chevy powered one. direct drive... start it and push off the stand, and hang on. ;D

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

MountainDon

Definitely a "madman" no matter where he's from.     ;D

Sassy

MountainDon

I recall seeing them in the UK, but don't think I ever saw one in N.A.

zion-diy

what ever happened to "true" show cars? ???  I sure miss them. Lil coffin

waggin

As a huge fan of sleepers, and especially Ford Fairmont sleepers, I love this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQmJ2qfsME

10.57 is fast for a street car, and considering how little tire can be stuffed in the stock wheel wells of these cars, it's amazing.  He's running a junkyard Chevy truck 4.8l with a cheap turbo. 

Don_P

A friend sent these, funny thing was as soon as he described where, I know the place, on the way to Grandma's house  :)

Click the slideshow and enjoy;
https://scottmais.smugmug.com/Other/Rust-Never-Sleeps/i-9JQq9Kh