Main Menu

Recent posts

Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - August 14, 2022, 04:43:51 PM
Tutorial 31 - Custom Window and Door Casings (15:42 min.)

https://youtu.be/msWClVo3VEo
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
Last post by MountainDon - August 14, 2022, 12:07:50 PM
Everything is cut at ground level so there is nothing to get caught up on while moving any other machinery around.

The big steel cutting disc is brought to speed by the hydraulic motor and acts like a flywheel. It does slow down on large diameter trees but I've never seen it stall. As for finesse, he's not making furniture.   ;)  The blade is about 2 inches thick. The cutting teeth are carbide blocks with 3 cutting edges. Secured by a large central bolt, the teeth are set into notches. Each block can be rotated as needed until all 4 edges have been used.
Last post by Adam Roby - August 13, 2022, 07:15:29 PM
Pretty awesome equipment.  Do they normally cut them at ground level or leave a stump?  I looked like he stalled out the blade a few times there.  He seems to just ram into the trees with the saw, I would have expected a slower approach.  
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - August 13, 2022, 06:58:26 PM
Version 2.9.8 - 08.13.2022
- Added a "Label Rotation" parameter for all wall types (0 or 180 degrees).
- Added a default "Label Rotation" parameter into the General tab of the Global Settings.

Last post by MountainDon - August 13, 2022, 01:34:32 PM

Last post by MountainDon - August 13, 2022, 01:31:50 PM
After a wildfire rips through a forest there are 2 choices; leave it alone or do something. Some of our neighbors up there were of the leave it alone school of thought before the fire. That is they never did any preventive thinning or even cleaning up of deadfall and build-up of duff on the ground. Well, it seems that even having a wildfire roar through, burning virtually all their living trees, the deadfall, and their cabins and other structures was not enough to change their minds. The same ones are "letting nature take its course". Not that their pieces of the forest were anywhere close to being in a natural condition pre-fire. Most of the forests in the western US have had all fires suppressed for 100+ years and there is no "natural" when that is the practice.

We and a couple of the neighbors have taken the "do something" approach. We enlisted the help of the company that has been doing the contract thinning for the national forest service for the past number of years. A standing burnt and dead tree contains marketable timber. The pines and firs that are large enough can be sawn into beams, timbers and lumber at the nearby pueblo sawmill. Some of the smaller diameter trees can be used to make wood stove pellets at the pueblo's pellet mill. Some of the smaller trees and a few of the larger are being laid across the slopes to help prevent erosion from the rains.  All at no cost to us. Jobey gets whatever profits he makes by selling the timber to the pueblo and paying his workers, fuel costs, etc etc. We get a nearly "clean slate" The state forestry and soil conservation people will help (a little) with costs of seed for assorted perennials to be sown later and some tree seedlings if we want them.

The other choice, to leave the dead burnt trees as they are, is simply providing the land with a load of fuel wood for another fire in a few years. It may take even 10 to 20 years but there will be another fire. That is exactly what happened with this fire. In 2011 there was a big wildfire east of us. The forest service left the forest as it was after that fire. Dead standing all over a hundred thousand acres. Over the ten years between then and now many of the trees fell over. Great fuel wood, as here is the arid SW even the mountains don't get a lot of rain. Wood on the ground does not stay moist very long, it does not rot away very quickly. Nothing was harvested after that fire. When this fire reached the old burn scar it did not stop or even slow. It continued to rage and burned structures and caused evacuations.

Anyhow, I will get off my soapbox now and get back to the main point I logged today. The logger has reached our property and has a few interesting to watch pieces of machinery. I have a few videos of the feller-buncher in action.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - August 11, 2022, 06:05:41 AM
Thanks!  All we can do is hope and work!  Now, to get packing so I can go up and get it prepped! :D
Last post by MountainDon - August 10, 2022, 01:14:14 PM
Great! Two of our neighbors had done nothing. They both got burned to the ground. Sadly they are not even having the logger clean up the still marketable standing burnt to dead pines. He's done one 40 acre property that was toasted 98% and will finish a second property of 20ish acres, about 2/3 burned. Then ours next week, depending on rains. No charge to us, he gets the timber and it goes to the pueblo sawmill and wood pellet mill. Plus enough trees felled and laid across slopes for erosion control. There have been a couple of rains that have caused trouble as the water runs off the vast burnt areas of nat forest in many places.

Hopefully you will be untouched by fires and that if fire does come you will share in our good fortune.

Going up for a few days after dinner today
Last post by OlJarhead - August 10, 2022, 10:00:07 AM
Funny thing, a couple of other 'Erik's' own the land around me (and one Patty)...Eric the Seal, Eric Junior, and Erik the Old Jarhead! lol

JR plans to do the same and the Seal did a bunch on his place so it will help I think.  The Forester felt my place was in pretty good shape and said he'd bring in two tenders and a crew to my place if a fire broke out becuase it was a good defendable space and had lots of work done already.

I plan to get up there this weekend and the weather looks good!  Lows in the low 50's and highs in the low 80's.  If that holds it will be good weather to break down the ground around the cabin to dirt and get some sapplings felled!
Last post by MountainDon - August 10, 2022, 08:21:28 AM
 [cool] It can pay off.  I have not watched the video; maybe later.  Who owns the land around yours? Hopefully, they are also thinning, cleaning up deadfall, etc too.