Hows the weather?

Started by astidham, September 28, 2010, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ndrmyr

-1 this morning.  A bit of a nip in the air.  Thankfully, at the moment, no wind at all.  The wind was blowing last night bringing wind chills to -25.  I'm having a hard time recalling that cruise to the Caribbean two weeks ago.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

Redoverfarm

Well we went from a Frog Choker all day yesterday, temps in the mid 50'sF and near flood stage conditions to snow flurries and 28F today. Predicted 1-3" of accumulations before tomarrow.   Yep w/o power again at the house since 11:00 P.M..  This seems to be getting a routine.  Power company needs to cut back the right of way to rid it of some tree limbs which is usually 75-80% of the outages.  Thank goodness for the generator.

Redoverfarm

So much for decent temperatures.  3F this morning after 2-3 " of snow yesterday morning. Mountains to the west got nearly a foot at he Ski Resort.   Prediction is 4-8" between now and Monday.  Better throw another log on the fire. ;)

rick91351

Back home mid 30's and teens.  There is still not much snow in the mountains.  >:(

Here where we have the big tin cabin pulled to right now Yuma, Az it is well  ........  its Yuma weather.........  ;D

However The Canadians we are talking to all say come up and get some of that #$#@#$#@ snow or they well never get to go home!!!  [waiting]

:D Rick
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Rob_O

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 02, 2013, 11:16:54 AM
So much for decent temperatures.  3F this morning

We had 70 degrees on Wednesday and 9 Friday morning. Better throw two logs on the fire, it's going to be cold the next couple days
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Redoverfarm

Plowed the drive again to get rid of the 3-4" of new snow.  That is twice in three days.  You learn to get rid of what you can when you can.  It has a way of catching up with you if you don't.  Calling for another 4-8" tonight and tomarrow.  But in the lower elevations we are only catching the lower prediction numbers with the higher elevations near us are getting the max plus some.  Been lucky it has been light snows and I can use the 4 wheeler rather than break out the big guns(tractor).  It is a lot easier to manuver.  But it usually comes a time when I have to push back what I have played with and have to use the tractor.  Start off with a 12' driveway and halfway through the season I end up with 8' or so if I don't.  But the temperatures are pleasing 20-30"s so it not too bad.

rick91351

It is 7:00 PM in Yuma, Az. right now.  It is 73  degrees at the big tin portable cabin.  It's going to get down to 52 by morning.  :o
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Yesterday at 6:00 AM it was 6F and clear.  Today at the same time it was 33F and 1-2" of new snow and still coming down.   :(  Hopefully this weather front will quickly pass through the area.  Good day to work inside.   ;D

Redoverfarm

Got to love the mountains.  This is what hit here on Tuesday evening.  By Wednesday morning there was 10" of wet snow.

Needless to say the power went out at Midnight and has been off ever since.  Thank goodness for the generator which came on as soon as it went off.  Hopefully it should be restored today.

MountainDon

For the past 2 weeks it has been sunny and nice in the mtns around the cabin. About 9 days ago it hit 66 F and was above 50 for 9 hours straight! We went up Sat morning. When we got there it was 22. 38 in the cabin. usually it is colder in the cabin than outside. And it was windy!  For a half hour in the afternoon it was blowing 45 to 55 mostly with a gust of 68 mph recored! Glad we were inside. Small tree branches were flying through the air and rattling on the roof and thumping on the walls. Has a high 0f 29, overnight low of 15. More of the same sunday but no winds over 44. This morning still cold but winds only hitting in the teens. Then we came home.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

A little stormy!  We went to the cabin last Sat and had decent weather until Tuesday. At 3 AM tuesday we had lightning, thunder, rain and wind. I don't recall lightning that early in the year before. At 7 AM there was an inch of white stuff on the ground. At 8 AM the forecast called for up to 4 inches of snow and we already had  1 1/2.  By 11:30 we were up to 5 inches and then the noon forecast changed to up to 9 inches. Since were were already running ahead of the old forecast numbers we decided to finish lunch and leave. So we did. Even though we had enough food and didn't have to be anywhere until this coming Monday night we opted for the less exciting option of driving out and down the three miles of  never plowed dirt back roads.

The forecast is up to 10 inches yesterday this time.  I have no idea what did really fall as we can't measure snow amounts.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Wow! It rained today, and yesterday and every day since the 29th June!!  Great improvement over the past several months. However we have yet to reach an inch in total where our cabin sits. We're only at 7/10ths so we still have drought conditions and the entire Santa Fe NF is still locked down tight as a drum. The FS now has a video camera recording action at the southern gate on road 10, but not at the north end which we use. Too bad, we'd wave. :)

Redoverfarm

Well I guess winter is finally here.  16F this morning but with the 30-40 MPH wind the chill factor is well below 0F.  Not much accumulation at the house but up on Williams River it was a different story as my son and I treked back home around midnight after a musical jam session at the camp.  Snow, wind and elevation proved driving a real treat with visibility down to about 5' .  Nice to arrive home to the Hearthstone roaring ( Wonderful wife kept it stoked).  Forecast say this is the trend for the next few days.  Should be a treat tomarrow as the first day of buck season.  Better wrap the little one up so she can attempt to bag the bucks that have been tempting her for the last couple weeks.

OlJarhead

Winter is hear with a vengeance now  Temps didn't rise out of the teens today and it was 10 when I got to the cabin....tonight forecast last check was -4....with a little wind giving a wind-chill in the minus teens.

rick91351

Promises to be single digits tonight  - went out with the dogs and it was crystal clear with very little to null snow cover........ 

rick91351

Well it is single digit up here now 9 degrees at the Snotel sight over on the other side of the Prairie.  It is a balmy 14 on this side  [cool]  Yes it is   

OlJarhead

-3 at the weather station near me last night....coldest I read was 0 this morning.

MountainDon

We had just enough snow here at home overnight to show who in the neighborhood has the best insulated ceilings by the amount of melted snow on the roofs.  :)   I wonder if anyone else noticed but myself and Karen. Yep our roof did very well;  :)   we had snow right through the day while most the others were clear over the heated areas. All except the vacant and  unheated home down the street, a winterized foreclosure.

Not too cold. Above freezing most of the morning but dropping all afternoon. I hear from a mountain neighbor we had 4 or so inches at 8000 feet. Temperatures there in low to mid twenties.

rick91351

Dang where is the shiver button ???

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOISE ID
243 AM MST MON DEC 9 2013

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES SET IN OREGON AT BURNS...ONTARIO AND
BAKER CITY...
...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES SET IN IDAHO AT MOUNTAIN HOME AFB AND
JEROME...

OREGON...
A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -30 DEGREES WAS SET AT BURNS OREGON
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -20 SET IN 1972. THIS IS
THE COLDEST TEMPERATURE EVER RECORDED IN BURNS SINCE RECORDS
BEGAN IN 1939. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS -28 DEGREES WHICH OCCURRED
ON DECEMBER 12 1990 AND FEBRUARY 4 1985.

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -20 DEGREES WAS SET AT BAKER OREGON
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -13 SET IN 1972.

IDAHO...
A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -12 DEGREES WAS SET AT ONTARIO OREGON
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0 SET IN 2005.

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -6 DEGREES WAS SET AT MOUNTAIN HOME
AFB YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -3 SET IN 1932.

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -4 DEGREES WAS SET AT JEROME ID
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -2 SET IN 1972.

UperJoe

-40F actual official temp this morning nearby in Embarrass, MN  and probably -55 to -65 windchills. We call it a wee bit chilly.
Hope everyone is warm and well and Happy New Year to all :)

John Raabe

Stay warm... This is a dramatic cold spell.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

mnboatman

Quote from: UperJoe on January 02, 2014, 10:28:30 AM
-40F actual official temp this morning nearby in Embarrass, MN  and probably -55 to -65 windchills. We call it a wee bit chilly.
Hope everyone is warm and well and Happy New Year to all :)

According to the NWS, it was -38F at my place not too far away. I'm glad I shut it down in October.
Stay warm.

UperJoe

They hit -46 in Crane Lake....bet the lake was crackling and popping. Headed out on fishing trip to Lake of the Wood next week .... Mondays forecast is worse than today was.....oh well, we only have a few months left eh!

rick91351

Here we got a couple good rains and a couple inches of snow now and then in the fall ........Now it is starting to become worry some

High thirties - low forties........  no rain - no snow. 

jaransont3

Mom had -40F this morning in Side Lake, MN.  Her place is only 1/2 mile from our cabin.  We saw -27F last week when we were up there for Christmas.  This is the view we liked most...

Cabin stayed nice and toasty warm, but we did go through most of our firewood.
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN