Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiggKidd

Glenn,

Sounds like quite an adventure your having. Nothing like fire to get you in gear to get some work done. Its an amazingly brave thing you are / have done there saving your home. The true spirit of our land shows in times like these and you should be proud of yourself. Thanks for letting us know you are ok. I've got to get to work I have a meeting this AM looking at another job.

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

glenn kangiser

July 29, 2008, 07:28:16  and all is well.   Pumped extra water.  Going to check things out.  Thanks for your concern, Larry and everyone.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Update per Harry's call last night - he went to the fire meeting.  I will not leave the underground command center due to the risk of getting shut out.

Minimum 24 houses burned and who knows how many that they currently cannot get back into.

I still haven't had time to check into other sites on containment etc. [crz]

A backfire got away from them yesterday about 1/2 mile away on or near Harry's place.  I understand from the fire fighter that they were happy with the recovery, but it looked like a war zone here for a bit.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Woodswalker

Have been following your accounts of the fire war you're fighting right now at your place with admiration.  I've always enjoyed folks who know how to get things done in emergenies.  I worked for FEMA for two years and MN Emergency Mgmt for 3 yrs, dealing with everything from floods, to blizzards, tornados, and large-scale timber blow-downs.  We funded projects to enable folks living in wildfire hazzard areas to install sprinklers on their structures, drawing water from lakes, using generators, which is something you or neighbors might want to consider.

We have fires going up here too.  There is considerable smoke in the Curlew Valley, where my cabin is located.  Two firefighters from WA have already died in the fight down there.  Be as careful as you can Glenn.

Steve

CWhite

I've been thinking about you guys out there, checking each morning to see how you are, and wish you all success against that fire monster.  Be safe. 
Christina

John Raabe

Boy! What an adventure! I thought one of the advantages of an underground house was that it was way harder to fall off the roof. 8) But then I've seen the pictures - the RV garage is hardly underground. And, if I remember right, there are ways you could have fallen off that roof that would have been an even more exciting "adventure".

Here we have an independent cuss like Glenn out in the backwoods protecting his homestead with a well cleared fire break, his own solar generated power and perhaps the only working water pump for miles. And as long as the phone line stays live he can not only fight fires in a way others cannot, but he can keep us up to date with stories and pictures. Petty damn amazing, I'd say.

Here's to Glenn and Sassy. 8) 8) 8) ::) ::) ::) (boy are we making stories to tell the grandkids, or what?)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

apaknad

Dang Glen,

this whole fire thing is starting to get scary. i thought initially that you pretty much had it under control with all the equipment and knowledge that you have but it's making me nervous for you. the lack of sleep can be caught up on later but i guess you are doing this by yourself and can't be everywhere at once. if you didn't live so far away i'd help you(if i could get by the lines). i'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

dan
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Thanks, everybody.  Things look better here this morning.  I got about 6 hours sleep then Spike came over and punched me around with his nose and said - hey you lazy oaf - times a wasting --- get your lazy s out of bed, so I rolled out of bed --lurched on over to the sink and grabbed my coffee cup.  Two teaspoons of instant Caffeinated Folgers in a half a glass of cold water.  I don't drink it because it tastes good.  I just need the caffeine.  Choke it down - nuke a tamale -- not my idea of a great breakfast but it's semi- instant.  Choked it down too then prepared for two hours of indigestion.  Time for Ice Cream -- that'll cure it.

I think Suzy may have got under the wheels of the ATV or hit by a tree I was pushing with the John Deere.  Limping a bit but she seems OK.  No baby aspirin or buffered here per the vet so they said just to keep her quiet.  I can't leave or can't get back in without a major fight so looks like rest will have to do.

Went up the hill and checked the fire line today.  Looks good below Harry's with just a few wisps of smoke and a couple bombers either on that one or nearby , so I think it's under control for now.

While up there I noticed the newest neighbors garden was wilting.  I checked and grid power was still out there.  I went back to the house and loaded 30 gallons of water from my well and took it up there to water everything.  Upon looking around a bit I noticed their tanks were elevated enough to give me water at a couple pounds pressure so I finished watering everything with their water.  They probably won't get in for quite a while so what the heck- we take care of our own up here.

They built a nice little Countryplans style cabin.  They see the value of a garden.  I barely know them but I like their values, so will look out for them. ::)

Sassy reminded me that our renters have a garden too so I'll check their place and the other neighbors also.

Hey - I'm still King of the mountain so I may as well take care of my loyal subjects, eh. :)

Here's a little video from yesterday afternoon.  Not the best quality but, hey , this isn't Hollywood and I ain't Spielberg.

Redoverfarm

If it isn't bad enough to almost get burned out of your own house and then to have to drink instant coffee on top of that.  ;D  Stay safe.

harry51

Here's a link to a map of the fire area. It updates at least every 24 hours and shows pretty good detail if you zoom in far enough.

http://geomac.usgs.gov/viewer/viewer.htm

Here's a link to the most up-to-date source of fire info I've found so far:

http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showthread.php?t=5948&page=11

One interesting thing they mentioned at the meeting last night was that the fire burned 18,000 of the approx. 30,000 so far consumed on Saturday alone. That's scary, but there was a fire near here in 1961 that burned 20,000 acres in TWO HOURS!

http://www.mariposaresearch.net/HARLOWFIRE.html
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

glenn kangiser

Thanks, John.  I have real coffee beans to grind and make real coffee.  Didn't have the time before I check fireline status but maybe I'll go brew a pot for later.  :)

Headed off to the renters and other neighbors - taking the 12 gauge in case I meet unfriendly forces. It always makes me friends. rofl.

Looks like Harry's back.

I saw a fire truck coming out of his place again today so they are still there.  Hopefully all is well there.

John Raabe

Thanks to Harry and Glenn for the update.

Here are a couple of maps that will try to pinpoint the fire update with the Google Earth map.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

jeanneschmidt

Hey Glenn,

Thanks so much for taking care of our place and watering our garden!  Please feel free to pick and eat anything you want from it - the tomatoes and bell peppers have to be better than tamales and instant coffee for breakfast!!  I can't tell you how comforting it was to see pictures of our place posted, without black char everywhere!  Although I keep telling my friends, if we do burn, "you know, black is always in style!".  But, when this is all over, I will make you some great tamales or anything else you want (you missed a good lamb dinner we had with harry the other day). 

One other note - don't be alarmed by my email address. I am NOT with the IRS. I do consulting for corporate treasury departments and we dislike the IRS as much as anyone!

Thanks again!!!!

Jeanne & Bob

glenn kangiser

Jeanne - thanks for signing on and warning me -- are you an enrolled agent? hmm

-- you never know when I may need services and I do file annually -- like a year late or so in order to get my wifes withholding back.  I always lose enough being self employed to get most of it back.

For sure we must have a barbecue when we get together.  In case I am the barbecue, before then, I suggest lots of sauce and the meat is likely to be very tough.  Sorry about that - I couldn't resist [crz] 

I need to take it easy on you until you get to figure out that I am totally crazy. [crz]

I went to water the renters and other neighbors gardens.  At the cul-de-sac I found a new posting by officials.  I am now officially "Refusal" so I decided to come back and update my sign and post a notice there so there are no misunderstandings - along with a guest book for them to sign and comment in.  I like to keep them guessing. :)

I like the way they posted it by my Constitutional no trespassing sign.

I made them a fresh copy along with the permission notice.

Permission - but still - it avoids confusion.  My No Trespass sign isn't the most friendly and I do want them here.

Guesst book for - who knows  hmm -- I'm really a friendly guy. :)

glenn kangiser

My friend, TJ from the steel company called me to check up.  I told him the story and referred him here.  He said I'm just like his dad- black choppers and all. [crz] rofl

glenn kangiser

Another Map

hmm - looks like I'm in mandatory evac- Oh well. I have to remember to look that word up some day.  d* 

Looks like they are not expecting containment soon enough to comment on it- but I think I'm in the 10% that is under control.  It was looking decent here but like the entrance to Hell over the mountain earlier.

jeanneschmidt

You are too much. NO I am not an enrolled agent, and I am not affiliated in any way with the IRS.  Corporate treasury does things like get credit lines from banks for companies and arrange for insurance and help find ways to get cash flow moving better through a company.  I am as afraid of the IRS as the next guy!

Jeanne

jeanneschmidt

Regarding your comment "in case you are the barbecue", I have been researching some recipes. I found a great sauce recipe using Jack Daniels - I think that would be fitting.  Haha - hope you don't find this in "bad taste"! ;)

glenn kangiser

...and  hope I don't taste bad. [crz]  Hey Jeanne, try the ribs. :)

...and Jeanne, I am not afraid of the IRS.  I view fighting with them as recreation, and it is also tax deductible.   I won't make a public scene like the Browns -- that will get you steam roller despite laws to the contrary.  The Browns are right but could not be allowed to prevail -- Ed said show me the law.  They wouldn't do it because there is no law without using implication and intimidation.  Ed was right but they could not allow him to win -- then everybody would want to do it.

I refused audit a few years ago because I didn't want to and didn't have time.  We fought for about a year and a half and I finally hired an enrolled agent who got the ball rolling again.   I talked to the IRS auditor who used the pseudonym "Haskel Cape" (not his real name, but the one he gave me).  I don't have to give my financial information to a person who will not identify himself legally to me do I?  I finally recreated my invoices for him-- he got them -- put "Accepted as filed" and left me alone.   He wanted no more to do with me. I received threats from every IRS office n the state and was yelled at by the guy in the Department of Justice in Washington DC when I called them -- he told me just to give them what they want like I should.  heh

I do not fear death by the hand of authority - that would make me a martyr and further my cause.  Jeesh -- I guess I should have been a Muslim, eh? [rofl2]

On another note-- this is funny.  I posted the new signs

My thought was it would remove any question about my motive or trouble with me.  Seems it worked.

In about an hour or so a new crew from Station 2, Yuma Arizona arrived. 

They said, "We read your signs down there and decided we had to go meet this guy."  They introduced themselves and shook my hand - toured the underground complex - used the facilities as necessary with my invitation and blessing. :) 

They were working hotspots and said they will return.  How could I ask these young people to put their lives on the line for my property without doing all and more than the state would allow me to do.

My new friends from Yuma , Arizona at the Underground Command Center. The crew who was not afraid of the crazy guy.  Thank you, my friends.

They invited me to drop into the station if I am ever down in Yuma.

PEG688

Glenn's excellent adventure rolls on  8)  c*

Thats a nice cabin the neighbors have , Jeannie's place I take it . :-\

It looks like they have enough clearing around it to be some what safe from fire , maybe thats not true . Hard to tell from the photo IF theres weak places / dry stuff to close.

So whats the situation like now? How close did it get , the fire and was that a good thing in that it burned most of the fuel off then stopped?

That fire gear looks HOT! But I guess / know they need it to get in range to fight the fire , way different than the gear I had back in the 70's when I was a young volunteer firemen back in R.I.

Stay safe , eh! :) 

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

harry51

Peg, the fire was within about 1/4 mile of Jeanne's & Bob's cabin, up in my meadow. I'm directly up the ridge from Jeanne & Bob, and they in turn are the next parcel up from Glenn. (Saw the exhaust from the John Deere this afternoon, figured Glenn was at it again!) The fire in that area was one of a series of backfires set in order to stop the fire as it came south from the river canyon on the other side of Mt. Bullion. There are hand crews, dozers, and fire engines all over our side of the mountain at my elevation and higher. Earlier this morning, they were apparently afraid the backfires were going to get too close to the airport and interfere with operations there, hence the concentration of activity. Our situation looks better as we are able to see more. Cautious optimisim is the current mode of thought.

Unfortunately, the fire has reportedly jumped the Hwy 140 near the infamous Ferguson rockslide. That is a major setback, as miles and miles of fresh fuel are now available to the blaze. There are also reports that the fire has revisited the Mosher rd area in Midpines. We see an ominous black pall of smoke to the north. Hoping for the best.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

jeanneschmidt

Hi there Harry!  Glad to hear all is temporarily well!  We are very optimistic at this point.

And Peg, you are correct, the cabin is cleared very well on all sides. We really weren't worried about it too much, but I just didn't want to have all my trees and land charred.  Selfish I guess considering what others have lost but what can I say?  The cabin is made of cement fiberboard faux painted to look like older wood, so we were also pretty sure it could stand up to the heat.  We have another structure - a child's playhouse made of plywood which is nestled in the trees on Harry's side of the hill and that was pretty much at risk. And we have a sea container full of junk including some gas cans which always fume the place up, so possibly that could have gotten hot enought to explode or at least melt the stuff inside. The container has trees on the back and sides of it towards Harry's property.

But I am being positive - I think the worst has passed us.

MountainDon

Dang it Glenn! I go away for a week, never turn on the TV or radio and look what happened.  :o Crimoney! I truly hope you and your property are still okay.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Yeah, its kept me sitting on the edge of my seat!  Thanks for all the kind words, prayers & wishes.

I've been stuck in the valley - had to go back to work Friday so left Mariposa Thursday afternoon, drove to Doctors Hospital in Modesto to see my brother who had just been re-admitted for a bad infection (quadruple bypass surgery 1 mo ago).  He was discharged today, doing much better - very thankful for that.

I 1st read on CountryPlans (at work) around 1130pm that everyone on our mountain had been evacuated - 1st thing I knew about that, was able to talk to Glenn on my way home... then when I was finally able to get ahold of him Sunday I didn't know whether we'd have anything left, just glad that he was ok...  its been a roller coaster few days.  Plus I don't have computer access at our house in the valley, don't have TV...  most of the time couldn't get a hold of Glenn...  not knowing, not being able to go back there & help...  worrying about his safety, worrying about my brother - they had thought they might have to do surgery & re-open him up...  worked 12 hr Sat.  was off Sun & Mon, working 12 hr today...  don't think I'd have been much use at work Sun & Mon anyway.  Been praying like crazy...

So thankful that Glenn is ok, that our place is safe, glad Harry's place is ok...  you just never think you will have to go through something like this...  I feel bad about the others who've lost their places...  you just never know what a day will bring - so many people have been affected by the fires & floods around the nation this year...

Glenn, my husband, the crazy mountain man  ;)  ya done good!     8)  Just take care of yourself, eat some decent food, drink lots of fluids & get your sleep!  I love you  :-*

Sassy
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Sassy

Well, just talked to Glenn.  He's been out "shooting the bull" with the firefighters - how great, we have our own fire truck & fire fighters  :)  Everything is ok at this time - Glenn said he'd update you guys later & post some more pics.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free