Poor Shoes, Foot Pain . . .

Started by bayview, November 21, 2009, 10:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

I have been neglecting myself for some time . . . I've allowed myself to become overweight. 

This has created only some minor problems, until this week.  I work on my feet for 6-8 hours a day.  Then in my shop every weekend.  I carelessly slip on my shoes without lacing when I walk the dog. . . Maybe 5-6 times daily.

Well, it has happened.  I woke the other morning unable to walk.  After rubbing the soles of my feet for about 10 minutes, I was able to stand.  The first step was like walking on a bed of nails.  The rest of the day was very uncomfortable. 

The diagnosis . . .  Plantar Fasciitis 

With rest, exercises, proper shoes, orthotics, possibly strap-on arch supports and night splints, I may be able to get back to normal in 6-12 months.  Right!  I'll stay off my feet for the next 6 months!  And, lose 50-60 lbs.

Anyway, that is enough complaining . . . I just wanted to share my experience.  Take care of your feet.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

Many of us take our feet or granted until something happens.

I used to buy cheap shoes. I thought I was money ahead buying cheap, then tossing when something happened and getting new ones. I don't do that anymore as I began to have aches I never had before. For the past several years I wear a New Balance sneaker as my everyday ootwear. Model MW927. They don't pinch my toes, they support my arches. At $100 they are worth the expense.   I use shoebuy.com

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

My oldest daughter was a cross country/track runner in high school and college.  Her running shoe bill was $250/season.  2 pairs of New Balance each season.   We figured it was cheaper than treating an injury.  One year, she decided to try a different type of shoe.  After 1 week, she developed a stress fracture.  We went back to the New Balance.

You do have to be careful though...there are much different grades of a brand name.  Choose the one that fits you best...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

bayview

Quote from: MountainDon on November 21, 2009, 10:45:58 AM
Many of us take our feet or granted until something happens.

I used to buy cheap shoes. I thought I was money ahead buying cheap, then tossing when something happened and getting new ones. I don't do that anymore as I began to have aches I never had before. For the past several years I wear a New Balance sneaker as my everyday ootwear. Model MW927. They don't pinch my toes, they support my arches. At $100 they are worth the expense.   I use shoebuy.com

Don:  They support your arches . . . Are they a shoe with "high" arch support.  I have high archs . . . This is part of my problem.  Wide feet - 10 1/2 EE with high archs.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

I don't know if they are high arches. I have a pretty good arch but have no idea how my arches compare. I do know my arches seem higher than my wie's... going by wet ootprints on the bathroom floor/rungs.

I bought the first pair at the local New Balance store... they actually measured my foot and told me what was needed. The guy recommended the 927 because it has a very "square", non-tapered toe and I need to keep the pressure o my toes. (Too many shoes are too narrow, 'stylish' at the toe). Anyhow, they were great, but something like $130.

I found shoebuy.com to have just about the lowest prices over the past couple years. Thay also have stock. They have ree shipping and free return shipping to boot. I've used the ree return shipping and they made the refund in a tim ely manner. Both K & I get our casual sneakers, these New Balance, from them. The model number has changed over the years as they make small changes but they are still the same fit.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

Thanks for the reply Don . . .

/

Don_P

I feel your pain, very acutely at the moment, we just threw 50 sheets on the roof and got the paper down today. I developed PF a couple of years ago while putting on floppy slip ons and working in socks doing trim. I'm wearing NB855's now which help but I'm flatfooted. It takes awhile for the feet to let go in the morning and they tire easily late in the day. Off angle roof work always brings it back. If you don't get it under control it can lead to surgery.

Redoverfarm

I very seldom wear sneakers.  The majority of shoe wear are either leather work boots or leather jean boots or boat type shoe leather.  I have been wearing steel toed for some time in the summer but switch to an insulated boot in the winter months.  I worked my career with good leather dress shoes (Stetson, Bates and some Hanovers)  I thank the department for that as I have never had any foot problems.

My son has always picked a good boot but he gets his money out of them.  Usually that is all he wears.  He has never had a pair of dress shoes on his feet.  But at his age it is money down the drain to buy something that he will grow out of in a year or so.  His latest was a pair of Danner, 600 grm, 10" leather boot.  I think they were about $180.   [shocked]  But it is money well spent for the amount of wear they get. 

waggin

I had it so bad that one of my feet was freezing and sweating at the same time due to it screwing up the nerves.  The podiatrist recommended Superfeet:
http://www.superfeet.com/

You just remove the flimsy, tissue-paper thin insoles that came with the shoes, trim these to match, then put them in.  At around $35/pr for the standard trim to fit ones, it's worth it!  I never had to go the custom orthotics route, thankfully.  Fortunately, the podiatrist I saw gave me the low-cost, common-sense recommendation.  He also gave me some stretching exercises and recommended rolling my foot (w/just socks on) on a tennis ball while sitting at home.  That improves circulation.  Good luck!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

bayview

Thanks for all your suggestions and support. 

I am using shoe inserts from Dr. Scholls.  The ones they advertise on TV . . . I used their "machine" at Walmart.  They seem to relieve some heel pain. . .

The exercises are working well.  Especially stretching and massaging the calf muscles.  I have frozen a couple of small water bottles that are shaped like the old Coke bottle.  Rolling under the arch and heel is helping.

Later today we are going to check out some new shoes at the Sports Authority store.   Coincidentally, they have a coupon for $25.00 off a $100.00 purchase on their internet site.

/

peternap

Sorry for your problems.
At least it should get better. I've developed Peripheral Neuropathy which will only get worse.

Thank your stars for the second chance.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

That sucks, Peter.  :(  Hands or feet or both? All my best to you.

bayview

Quote from: peternap on November 22, 2009, 08:47:30 PM
Sorry for your problems.
At least it should get better. I've developed Peripheral Neuropathy which will only get worse.

Thank your stars for the second chance.

I'm at a loss for what to say . . . I am sorry to hear about your problem . . .

/

kyounge1956

I've had plantar fasciitis too. One foot went one Saturday and the other one the next weekend. I wear Superfeet in my shoes all the time. I think they must be helping because I haven't had any problems since the first two incidents. I also have wide feet. If there is one near you, SAS Shoes has a big range of sizes including wide and extra-wide, men's and women's. I buy one of the styles with removable insoles and replace them with the Superfeet. I'm not sure but I think they have locations nationwide, and if not you may be able to order from them online.

It's odd. I had a job  for seventeen years that involved standing and walking all day, mostly on pavement, and never had any problems with my feet. Then I got an office job and within a few months....blooie! Must have been the crummy shoes. I always wore safety shoes when I worked outdoors.

Quote from: bayviewps on November 21, 2009, 10:04:27 AM
 I have been neglecting myself for some time . . . I've allowed myself to become overweight. 

This has created only some minor problems, until this week.  I work on my feet for 6-8 hours a day.  Then in my shop every weekend.  I carelessly slip on my shoes without lacing when I walk the dog. . . Maybe 5-6 times daily.

Well, it has happened.  I woke the other morning unable to walk.  After rubbing the soles of my feet for about 10 minutes, I was able to stand.  The first step was like walking on a bed of nails.  The rest of the day was very uncomfortable. 

The diagnosis . . .  Plantar Fasciitis 

With rest, exercises, proper shoes, orthotics, possibly strap-on arch supports and night splints, I may be able to get back to normal in 6-12 months.  Right!  I'll stay off my feet for the next 6 months!  And, lose 50-60 lbs.

Anyway, that is enough complaining . . . I just wanted to share my experience.  Take care of your feet.

/

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on November 22, 2009, 09:32:52 PM
That sucks, Peter.  :(  Hands or feet or both? All my best to you.

Left foot so far Don.
Just another fringe benefit from diabetes.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

bayview

kyounge195   

Thanks for the tip on SAS Shoes.  I searched the Internet and have found a store within 3 miles of where I live.  I also have wide feet with a high arch, short toes.

I was able to find yesterday at Sports Authority, some shoe inserts. . . They are SofSole Custom inserts.  They have what I need . . . An insert with a very high arch support and it also "cups" the heel.  They also can be put into an oven to soften and then will "custom" fit into your shoe.  I got almost immediate relief on my right foot and the left is much better.  The left has the heel pain.  The right had arch pain.

Anyway, the Dr. Scholl inserts were taken back to WalMart.  The inserts were wide at the heel and had no arch support.  I tried them for over a week.  The only thing I liked about them is that they had a soft foam-like heel, for my heel pain.

peternap:

Again, sorry to hear about your condition, and the diabetes . . . We have an older customer with the same condition in both legs/feet.  He often loses his balance, but recovers just in time. . .

/

kyounge1956

QuoteThanks for the tip on SAS Shoes.  I searched the Internet and have found a store within 3 miles of where I live.  I also have wide feet with a high arch, short toes.

I have just the opposite. My feet are almost completely flat. About SAS, I forgot to say, once you have bought shoes there they will send you a flyer for the sales. I don't know if all SAS stores have them--the store here has sales twice a year and a pretty good discount.  Unfortunately you've missed it for this fall.