Zoning / Min. Sq. footage resources?

Started by Markus, November 16, 2007, 12:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

Hello-
I'm looking at purchasing land in NW Michigan...but am running into zoning / minimum sq. footage issues. (1000sq ft living space required for residential, 850 for agricultural)

Is there any resource online or is there anywhere I can find what areas (townships or whatever) have 'no zoning'?
I never thought it would be so hard to 'just' buy some land in the country/woods and build a cottage.  :-/

Thanks for any info yall can point me towards

-Mark in TX

glenn-k

Welcome to the forum, Mark.  I don't know of resources online but do know that the Zoning laws requiring this are unconstitutional therefore illegal, however fighting them could be another matter.

http://www.landrights.com/
LANDRIGHTS.COM

Markus

Just as an update, I took a little break after the frustration over the codes/zones.

I had called and spoken to the local gov and the real estate agents, and they had a hard time getting their head around a 600sq ft home.  ::)   ...even when mentioning a 'builders cottage' as an initial phase they just couldn't understand the concept.
Anyway, their initial thoughts/answers were "No" or I could apply for a variance....which you cannot do until you own the property.  Of course, I wouldn't be purchasing the property unless I could construct what I wanted on it, so there presented another issue.   ::)

What I seemed to gather from speaking to the government officials, is they were most concerned with "trailer homes" and unsightly buildings being on the property rather than the Tax issue which I has originally assumed.

Sooo, what I may end up doing is presenting a full set of plans detailing a 'large', acceptable, legal home being constructed on the property.....then go about my business of building a 450-600sq ft cottage and storage/garage area.   Since building the home myself it would take a decent amount of time, and hopefully the spotlight would lessen on the property.  Worse comes to worse, I build onto the original 'builder's cottage'.

Any thoughts, warnings or otherwise on that approach?

glenn kangiser

What are their views on letting you live in it before it is complete?  They may not give you an occupancy permit, but if you could get in before then it may make sense.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Markus

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 04, 2008, 03:56:54 PM
What are their views on letting you live in it before it is complete?  They may not give you an occupancy permit, but if you could get in before then it may make sense.

I haven't taken that into account.  ??? (occupancy permit)

I assume ( :o) that in places like this (rural) not much stink would be raised unless someone was annoyed at the goings on.  So a occasional seasonal occupant with steady progress to the property my not set off any alarms.

...I'll look into it.

MountainDon

When you ask about the occupancy permit also check to see what their timeline is. Many places give you a deadline and if the permitted building is not completed will charge you additional fees.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Quote from: MountainDon on January 04, 2008, 04:30:13 PM
When you ask about the occupancy permit also check to see what their timeline is. Many places give you a deadline and if the permitted building is not completed will charge you additional fees.
Around here your permits are good for a year unless you can show you are tring to finish and realy working on the project. If you take to long and they can show your sand bagging the job they can make you pay again. Also here you cannot live in the place till all the sanitary, electrical, water ect are inspected and approved if it is a home. You might get away with completeing all that stuff in part of the building then close up a wall fire/weather proof and build the rest?? Mark

Markus

Thanks for all the additional advice on the occ. permits, and the time frame issue.

Again, I'll prolly just call the officials up and question them and explain the construction situation (me doing it mostly alone!)