Introducing myself

Started by YamaDaiku, April 22, 2007, 01:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YamaDaiku

QuoteAre they considered public servants over there?  or a division of the Yakuza?

More like servants of the yakuza or yakuza unions. Lot's of good o'l boy groups over in Japan. Honestly I don't think I'd get away with half the things I do if were Japanese. I sell crafts at a local flea market but I'm the only one who doesn't pay a share of the profit to the "parking lot attenders" who sit in an office miles away from the parking lot.

I never stop smiling but maybe they feel intimidated by an American and leave me alone or maybe because I'm always smiling they think I'm dangerously insane! Who knows.

glenn kangiser

Keep them guessing.  

People wonder about me too.

Sometimes I wonder about me too. :o
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Hey, Rob, I talked to my friend, Rob here.  He said he works on an ATB - articulated tug boat barge.  You had that right.  He said it's 4 weeks on 4 weeks off.  Crew of 8 counting him.

The barge he is on holds 135000 gallons of diesel in it's fuel tank(s) and burns 350 gallons per hour - max 9200 horsepower I think he said.  At 350 gallons per hour they must cruise around 5000 horsepower per my rough calcs.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

YamaDaiku

Hey Glenn,

Your friend has a cool job. I worked tankers for a few years on a run between Seattle and Valdez AK. It was great because I lived in South Puget Sound so I got to go home every week or so. Sounds like he has a nice run too with a schedule like that.  

The ship I'm on is 950 ft powered by LM2500 gas turbines. In fact last week one of our ship's was on a television show called modern marvels. For the most part we carry military cargo to and from the sand box.

Here's a pic.

glenn kangiser

Cool Ship, Rob.

I pulled up some quick info from www.thefreedictionary.com

QuoteThe General Electric LM2500 industrial and marine turboshaft gas turbine is a derivative of GE Aircraft Engines' CF6-6 aircraft engine. The LM2500 is offered in addition to the LM6000.

Current versions of the LM2500 deliver 33,600 shaft horsepower (25.1 MW) with a thermal efficiency of 37 percent at ISO conditions. It has been used in various applications such as in U.S. Navy warships (as well as those belonging to other navies), hydrofoils, hovercraft and fast ferries. As of 2004, more than one thousand LM2500 gas turbines have been in service for more than 26 international navies.

Many of the military LM2500 installations place the engine inside a metal container of the same dimensions as a standard 40 foot intermodal shipping container - 8 feet wide, 8.5 feet tall, and 40 feet long. The containerized LM2500s may be designed for easy removal from their ships if the air intake ducting is shaped appropriately.

The LM2500+ is an evolution of the LM2500, delivering up to 40,200 shp or 28.6 MW of electric energy when combined with an electrical generator. Two of such turbo-generators have been installed in the superstructure near the funnel of Queen Mary 2, the world's largest transatlantic cruise liner, for additional electric energy when the ship's four diesel-generators are maxed out or fail.

The LM2500 is license-built in Japan by Ishikawajima-Harima, and in Italy by Avio.

The LM2500/LM2500+ can often be found as turbine part of CODAG or CODOG propulsion systems or in pairs as powerplants for COGAG systems.

The latest development in the LM2500 family is LM2500+ G4, which offers 6% more power over the LM2500+.
History
The LM2500 was first used in US Navy warships in the Spruance class of destroyers and the related Kidd class, which were constructed from 1970. In this configuration it was rated to 21,500 SHP. This configuration was subsequently used into the 1980s in the Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates, and Ticonderoga class cruisers.

The LM2500 was uprated to 26,500 SHP for the Arleigh Burke class destroyers, which were initiated in the 1980s and started to see service in the early 1990s, and the T-AOE-6 class of fast combat tanker.

The current generation was uprated in the late 1990s to over 30,000 SHP.

YamaDaiku

Dam Glenn, now you know more about the engines on my ship than I do!!!

glenn kangiser

I was head mechanic at Dodge 1969-70 then on to learn diesel mechanics a bit in the logging country - PNW.  I collect old engines  sometimes and am always interested in them.  On the steamer in New Orleans I had to check out the steam engine. :)

YamaDaiku

Very cool Glenn. It's too bad you're on the other side of the country. My ship will be inport here in Newport News Virginia for a while so if you were near I could give you a tour. You might get a kick out of our engine room!

Glenn I have a question for you. I've been playing with the plans I got (1 1/2 story). I want a couple of built ins and I am wondering how I would tie in a 2x8 wall with the other 2x4 walls. I was thinking a 2x8 wall made into a built in floor to ceiling book shelf. I guess I can just build out the corners of the connecting walls to match the 2x8. Any ideas?
Rob

glenn kangiser

The ship tour sounds great but as you say -- too far away.

PEG gets into the most framing around here.  He's done it all, I think.   :)  I'm mostly steel and alternative building with an occasional venture into standard building and repeating things I learn here. :-/

Was that wall going to be an exterior wall or interior wall? -- Seems you are talking about a single wall material  over the back of a 2x8 framing and bookshelf?

PEG688

#1:  My ship will be inport here in Newport News Virginia for a while so

#2: Glenn I have a question for you. I've been playing with the plans I got (1 1/2 story). I want a couple of built ins and I am wondering how I would tie in a 2x8 wall with the other 2x4 walls. I was thinking a 2x8 wall made into a built in floor to ceiling book shelf. I guess I can just build out the corners of the connecting walls to match the 2x8. Any ideas?
Rob

#1: I thought you where in Japan :-/

#2: Why not build your "built ins " as cabinets inside / in front of your exterior walls ?? I don't understand your question maybe , but if you really want a 2x8 wall and you need a sheet rock backer in the inside resulting corner just make a "L" corner / backer using a 2x8 as  one  leg of the "L"  attached to a 2x4 , if you do it right you'll have a 1 1/2" area for that S/R backer.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

Hi YamaDaiku!  What a darling picture of your baby & the cat!  The cat looks huge  :o - the baby is so cute  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

YamaDaiku

QuoteWhy not build your "built ins " as cabinets inside / in front of your exterior walls ?? I don't understand your question maybe , but if you really want a 2x8 wall and you need a sheet rock backer in the inside resulting corner just make a "L" corner / backer using a 2x8 as  one  leg of the "L"  attached to a 2x4 , if you do it right you'll have a 1 1/2" area for that S/R backer.

Thanks Peg, I see what you're saying. My thoughts was to use a 2x8 exterior wall so that I would have room on the inside to have built in bookshelves inbetween the studs without giving up too much floor space. Maybe it would be easier though to make cabinets inside. I'm just playing with some ideas here. I really like the window seat I saw in one of Mike's cabin pics. I like that craftsman built in look. Also I was thinking I'd put in a cedar wainscoting with sheet rock above so I guess as a base for the cedar I will use plywood. What do you think?

YamaDaiku

Hi Sassy thank you. He is a little monster. Just started walking or should I say stagger. He sure keeps my wife busy. I miss them a lot. I'll be working on a ship for another two months before I see em. The cat is huge. He does nothing but eat and sleep. The ultimate in couch potato!

Rob

PEG688

QuoteWhy not build your "built ins " as cabinets inside / in front of your exterior walls ?? I don't understand your question maybe , but if you really want a 2x8 wall and you need a sheet rock backer in the inside resulting corner just make a "L" corner / backer using a 2x8 as  one  leg of the "L"  attached to a 2x4 , if you do it right you'll have a 1 1/2" area for that S/R backer.

Thanks Peg, I see what you're saying. My thoughts was to use a 2x8 exterior wall so that I would have room on the inside to have built in bookshelves inbetween the studs without giving up too much floor space. Maybe it would be easier though to make cabinets inside. I'm just playing with some ideas here. I really like the window seat I saw in one of Mike's cabin pics. I like that craftsman built in look. Also I was thinking I'd put in a cedar wainscoting with sheet rock above so I guess as a base for the cedar I will use plywood. What do you think?

If you used the stud bays as built in where would you put your insulation?? Maybe you don't insulate in Japan  :-/ it was cold / cool when I was there so I'd think insulation would be wanted if not required.

If you build the cabinet right you can geta built in look with the speed and precision of shop built cab's , this mantal was shop built , but looks "built in" ,

Next ,photo.
Built ins??? Or shop built??

Your plywood substrate idea is a good one , I'd guess a cap / ledge / chair rail would finish off the top above the Cedar, but ya that would be a good way.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

YamaDaiku

Ok thanks Peg I understand. I rebuilt an interior wall in my kitchen and I used 2x6 framing. Since it was an interior wall I had no insulation and the shelves inbetween the studs came out good. I was thinking I could do the same in the cabin but I will need to insulate. We don't have much snow but it does get pretty cold come Jan / Feb. Thanks again.

Amanda_931

A fair number of Japanese cats are bob-tail.  

Different gene from the Manx (which is good, by the way)

Handful of cute pictures in the first link:

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/japanese.html

or this description, from Wikipedia here ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Bobtail_(cat) ):

QuoteThe Japanese Bobtail is a breed of cat with an unusual 'bobbed' tail more closely resembling the tail of a rabbit than that of an ordinary feline. The short tail is caused by the expression of a recessive gene. Thus, so long as both parents are bobtails, all kittens born to a litter will have bobtails as well. Unlike the Manx and other cat breeds, where genetic disorders are common to tailless or stumpy-tails, no such problem exists with the Japanese Bobtail.

The Japanese Bobtail is a small domestic cat native to Japan and Southeast Asia. The breed has been known in Japan for centuries, and there are many legends and myths, as well as pieces of ancient art, featuring it.

Nice picture of the cat and kid!

YamaDaiku

Hi Amanda, that was interesting. I've seen a few cats with those short tails and just thought they must have had them chopped off or something. Learn something new every day!! Thanks! My fat lazy animal has a big bushy tail. My wife rescued him at a shelter. We were told by the vet he was a wild cat. He has battle scars on his face and neck and is missing a small chuck of ear. I guess his wild days are over though because the only time he seems to move off his cushion is when he eats or my son wants to assault him.

Rob

Amanda_931

Looks--and sounds--like a perfectly lovely cat.  Nothing quite like a battle-scarred veteran cat who has decided to be domesticated after all.

fourx

His head looks like a Manx, though, Amanda..I wonder if the breeds are related?
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

YamaDaiku

Hey guys! I was looking at the great story of Dave's building project and I had a question concerning the way he framed the loft. Instead of framing it in what I beleive is called platform style with the loft joist sitting on top of the walls he used longer studs and attached the joist to the studs with brackets. Is this better worse, stronger or weaker than platform style?

Oh yes I wanted to tell you guys about a great book I just finished. "A handmade life by William Coperthwaite
Highly recommend it!!

glenn kangiser

Dave has done a great job, well documented here.  The method is called semi-balloon framing and is stronger than platform framing due to not having a hinge point at the bottom of the knee wall.  A 2x ribbon is let into 2x6 walls and the  loft floor joist are set on it and tied into the studs also for strength.

Search balloon framing here for more info http://www.countryplans.com/search.html

As PEG says - it's not the only way to do it ------- but it seems to be the best, especially for 20 feet or less wide.

glenn kangiser

YamaDaiku

Thanks Glenn I guess I should read more before asking questions. Dave's work is really beautiful! I love the siding. I thought that method of framing looked stronger. In earthquake prone Japan whatever is stronger is the way I want to build. Thanks again I'll study this more. I imagine the hangers and ties add a considerable cost to the project but that's something I'll have to look into when I get back home. As the days wind down on the ship I'm anxious to put tools in my hands and get going with this!

I asked for earthquake insurance for my existing house and I was actually laughed at!!  

glenn kangiser

We had a bit of talk here about pole building.  John mentioned doing something with it possibly on a design.  This is one place where I think modifying a post and pier design to a pole building timber frame design could be of great benefit.  Frank Lloyd Wright was actually influenced by Japanese design using something similar to a pole building design.

Below is part of an article for non-members:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0037-9808%28199103%2950%3A1%3C68%3AAJIFFL%3E2.0.CO%3B2-2&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

Otherwise, well connected to a good post and deep pier or something similar to the Bigfoot footings could be good also.

Imperial Hotel (long)

Frank Lloyd Wright was once commissioned to design a hotel in Tokyo which would be capable of surviving an earthquake.

"When the architect visited Japan to see where the Imperial Hotel was to be built, he was appalled to find only about eight feet of earth on the site. Beneath that was 60 feet of soft mud that slipped and shook like jelly. Every test hole he dug filled up immediately with water. A lesser man probably would have given up right there. But not Frank Lloyd Wright. Since the hotel was going to rest on fluid ground, Wright decided to build it like a ship. Instead of trying to keep the structure from moving during a quake, he incorporated features that would allow the hotel to ride out the shock without damage.

"Supports were sunk into the soft mud, and sections of the foundation were cantilevered from the supports. The rooms were built in sections like a train and hinged together. Water pipes and electric lines, usually the first to shear off in an earthquake, were hung in vertical shafts where they could sway freely if necessary.

"Wright knew that the major cause of destruction after an earthquake was fire, because water lines are apt to be broken in the ground and there is no way to put the fire out. So he insisted on a large outdoor pool in the courtyard of his hotel, 'just in case.'

"On September 1, 1923, Tokyo had the greatest earthquake in its history. There were fires all over the city, and 140,000 people died. Back in the US, news reports were slow coming in. One newspaper wanted to print the story that the Imperial Hotel had been destroyed, as rumor had it. But when a reporter called Frank Lloyd Wright, he said that they could print the story if they wished, but they would only have to retract it later. He knew the hotel would not collapse.

"Shortly afterward, Wright got a telegram from Japan. The Imperial Hotel was completely undamaged. Not only that — it had provided a home for hundreds of people. And when fires that raged all around the hotel threatened to spread, bucket brigades kept the structure wetted down with water from the hotel's pool."

[The Imperial Hotel was torn down in the 1960s to make room for a more modern building.]

Wright, Frank Lloyd (1869-1959) American architect and designer [noted for his influence on the modern movement in architecture; and for his designs of such private homes as Falling Water and of such public buildings as the Johnson Wax Company Building in Racine, Wisconsin (1939), the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, and the Guggenheim Museum in New York City (1943–1959)]

[Sources: Bits & Pieces, January 7, 1993, pp.11-14]

More Frank Wright anecdotes

Related Anecdote Keywords:
Architecture Earthquakes Hotels Buildings Japan

from

http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=7299

YamaDaiku

Quotewell connected to a good post and deep pier or something similar to the Bigfoot footings could be good also.

I have been planning to remove an old garage and build the 1 1/2 story on the existing concret slab but reading some of the treads here and seeing how those bigfoot units are used I am tempted to go that way instead. I'll have to take a look at the cost difference and possibly delay construction until I aquire the funds. My goal is to do it right the first time.

I usually avoid Tokyo like the plague but I would have made a trip to see that hotel. It's too bad it was torn down.