Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Yesterday I had mentioned the devils triangle.  Here is a picture showing what I was talking about.  Believe it or not I was able to keep the flooring running straight going around everything.

Here is an over view of the foyer area which will lead to the deck on both sides of the area between the kitchen/livingroom and the bathroom.  I tried to use the darker pieces of flooring against the bathroom wall in an effort to make it blend better.  I should have took more time and laid it with varing shades but I was working out of three open boxes and didn't have room to open another.

This picture is for Considerations as we were talking about post and scribing.  This one is locust about 14" in diameter.  This is the butt end on the floor.

Can't believe I used a complete roll of # 15 felt on the floor.  Ran out so it looks like if I am going to lay any more flooring tomarrow I will have to go to town and pick up a roll.

ScottA

Looks really good John.  :)

considerations

"CF I wouldn't want to say as if I did it would surely give my age away."

Yea, well, we all get old if we just hang around long enough.  Anyway, my theory is that its not the years, its how much rubber you leave on the road...only the rich can afford retreads and sometimes that doesn't even work.

Most of us are older than we want to be, not because of the age so much but because we finally got smart enough to do what we enjoy, but its just plain harder now.

I've sunk to taking the Aleave before I start working on the cabin.  :)  And, I've come to believe in "union breaks".  Only now I carry the whistle and blow it PRN.

By the way the marriage of locust and Brazilian cherry at the bottom of the post is flawless!  :)

glenn kangiser

Crimoney, John.  That's nice.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Red, you continue to outdo yourself - beautiful!

Ha, considerations, I've resorted to taking the Aleve before starting work, too  :P
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

These past two weeks have been hard on the old man.  Two complete weeks of working on my knees. One with the tile and the other with the hardwood.  Well it is finished today.  Now I am looking at something that I can stand up for a while at. Sounds like a good night to crawl in the hot tub. ;)

MountainDon

I sympathize wholeheartedly John. :( :( I've done 400 sq ft of ceramic floor tile over the past 2 trips up to the mountains, and I am sooooo glad it is all over. Except for the bathroom, but that's later and it's small.  We have about 120 sq ft to seal and that's it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Well back on the knees again this week.  I started finishing the loft floors on Monday.  So far I now have two coats of Minwax Poly on them.  After ample enough drying time I will sand them and apply the final finish.  Here are a few pics in case someone would like to see what 1X6 T&G looks like with a walnut stain and one coat of Poly. I am pleased with the finished appearance.  It sort of goes with the theme.  Sort of barn plank flooring look.

When doing floors you are limited on what else you can do until the finish dries.  Too much work to allow saw dust to infiltrate the cabin and land on the floor.  So I moved to a neater project and installed the exterior lights at the entry ways.  I was tired of moving them around from room to room anyways.

ScottA

Comming together nicely.  :)

Redoverfarm

This week completed several task that have been lingering for some time.  The loft floors are finished.  I am pleased with the way they turned out.  The only thing remaining in the loft. is the baseboards, bathroom door, bathroom cabinets, commode, sink , lights and recepticles/switches.

I also finished the stone work on the fireplace.  I had left approximately 4" of stone off the bottom until I installed the tile and hardwood floors.  Only reasonable way to do this. Having to scribe the flooring to fit against the stone would have been a nightmare.  The stone sits down on top of the flooring and it was a perfect fit. ;)  You will notice that it appears dark in comparison to the rest of the flue.  The grout will cure out and hopefully match the rest within a couple of days.  The left over mortar was used to complete some more of the retaining wall stone.  Actually got about 8 feet done which I hadn't planned on doing.  So I guess on the nicer days I will do some stone work.  Unlike concrete work you can just stop where you are at when you run out.  ;D

After I finished I cleaned up some.  Boy did it need it.  I wanted to make sure that I got all the mortar scraps off the tile and hardwood.  Mortar and finished floor do not mix well.  I also put a coat of poly on the basement stairs so when I start to drywall the stairwell it will be easier to clean off the mud and dust.

Sassy

Wow, what a masterpiece! 

Redoverfarm

No I hadn't quit working on Dogtrot.  Just been a little busy this week and haven't had time to spend with the family (CP).  I decided that I would work on the stone work of the retaining wall since the weather was decent and ScottA's work got me back in the mood.  I Got the propane offset area done and then went to work on the opposite wall (straight wall).  Actually I got tired of seeing the stone and sand pile.  I had unloaded the two tons of sand in a position that was accessable but not a henderance.  Well it caught up to me.  I ended up having to move 1 ton out of the way. to finish the walls.  I had used surplus metal roofing which I placed on pallets and had covered with other roofing during the winter. I did manage to use the truck (Ford) to chain through the pallets and pull away from the wall.  Believe it or not I only lost about 1 shovel full.    I should finish the wall this week with the exception of the earth side which will be small in comparison sometime later. Here is a couple pictures of the finished wall and the one that I am working on.  I did get that small section grouted after I parged the remaining wall on Friday.  It was 89F which is not hot by some on the board but in this area it was miserable.  The mortar set up a lot faster and I had to hump to get it finished. 

Maybe I can get a picture of the overview of the completed wall this week that I can post.

Whitlock

Nice job I love the rock work,I have been thinking about doing that to the block on the outside of my cabin.
Lots to do and not enough money to do it with yet :-\

I love your place,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ScottA

Sassy

Redoverfarm

I am certainly glad this phase of the construction is finished.  All of the basement and retaining walls are finished.  The sand and pallets of rocks moved to use later in the piers for the decks and the gate post.  I had temporarily put 6X8" gate post in for the gates to keep unwanted's out.  I plan to erect concrete block permanent gate post later and cover them in stone. When I moved the sand pallet to another location I had several pieces of tin (previous sand pile) and black plastic on the ground.  When my son went to move the tin he uncovered about 6 snakes.  Most of which were just garden or ring necks( 12-24") but it didn't make any difference to him as they got the buisness end of the shovel.  [rofl2]

Here is the finished wall.  Although the majority of the ground side of the wall will have top soil against it I decided to go ahead and stone to the ground (sloping).  You will probably only be able to see 1 rock sticking out but it will look beter than the concrete block.

Back of the back wall

Front wall (both inside and out)

Hopefully I wil start back on the inside again.  Drywall the basement stairway, baseboards, make the transitions from the tile to the hardwood, sinks, toilets  and  install the kitchen cabinets.   

Redoverfarm

It nice when a well laid plan falls together.  I had this list of things to do today but none of it panned out. The Air Conditioner went out at the house. Called a HVAC and said sometime mid morning.  So I ran to the building supply and picked up the drywall for the stairway and took it to the cabin early this morning.  Ran back home and at 2:00 he finally showed up and didn't leave until 3:30P. So the only thing I managed to get done was hauling drywall.  BTW I did get 5/8" greenboard w/ fire retardant for the price of 1/2" regular greenboard because they were out.  I did finish staning the glass cabinet door frames.  I hate days like this.  I will probably hate the day that I get the bill from them on the repairs.  But at least now the kiddies will stay cool. ;D 

I should have guessed since the stone work went fairly smooth last week.

Erin

Oh wow! 
This is going together so beautifully
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

ScottA

Bishopknight

Wow you've been very busy John! I do like it very much. Thats my favorite color of staining. I'm not a fan of light staining. I prefer the richer darker and earthier colors as well. I like the color of the roof too.

Redoverfarm

Well the conclusion of another week at Dogtrot.  I picked up the base & casing that was needed for the cabin along with some additional sheets of 5/8" greenboard.  All total there was approximately 150 lin feet of base and 112 lin ft of casing.  Of which I have yet to finish.  Anyway I got the drywall hung and taped in the basement stairway.  Talk about a PIA.  Everything went well with the installation EXCEPT the last sheet on both sides at the bottom.  I had a bulkhead at the bottom where the exterior door goes.  I don't care how you cut it it just wouldn't go.  I had a friend that stopped by and told me I should have started at the bottom and went up the steps.  WRONG.  Didn't make any difference the full width sheet would not go.  I had added a 3/4" spacer board on both sides of the stairs as sort of a rake so that the drywall would slip past the end of the steps.  With the angle there was no room to manuver the sheet.  So my only option was to cut the sheet in half and seam it.  Oh Well it is hung and taped so on Monday I will start finishing.  I also picked up the 3/4" ply for the countertop base.  Speaking of which I have all the cabinet finishing done with the exception of 5 door frames ( glass inserted) to poly.  Then I can get them installed and tile the countertop with the exception of the Island which I will have to locate a diamond hole saw to run the waste and supply through the tile for the sink.  But that's another day.   

Redoverfarm

Well this is the stairway from "Hades"  I could have drywalled three rooms in the time that it has taken me to do this much.  Since it is primarily in the basement the cure time for the compound is doubled.   Well anyway I usually stretch 1/2 work day into a complete day.  Coat of mud and then to the house staining and finishing trim the rest of the afternoon. 

Since my 1st floor stairway is completely open I needed to build the insulated wall at the bottom of the basement stairway to isolate things.  So here it is.

After prime coat on the interior.

Bulkhead of my prior referals that caused so much problem.  The solution was far easier than the problem.

Basement view of the stairway.  Note the access door opening to gain storage under the steps,  The exterior door pictured will go at the bottom of the stairs.  Even now If I don't get it all drywalled under the stairs it is insulated. 

I guess tomarrow will be about the same.  But I will haul up the baseboard when I go up and have something to do at the cabin after I work with the drywall.  Oh Yeah  "I do hate drywall".

rick91351

I keep forgetting to write and ask where the front door came from?  It and the rock facing with the lights really show off well.  Very well presented.   [cool]

As far as the stairway from hell, or the sheet rock from hell in the stairway from hell it too shall pass.   ;D

Really happy for you all!!!  And the way it is all turning out.  Great job.  Hope my build looks so good when and if we ever get around to doing it.  $$$$

rlr

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

ScottA

Now I know why there are so many unfinnished basement stairways.

Redoverfarm

rick91351 the door was bought at a surplus builders auction which is held in my area twice a year.  I have no idea of the manufacturer but a friend said he found the door at Home Depot in Charlotte,NC for $1,350.  Lord knows that is not even close what I gave for it.  It is a solid 2" mahogany door.  I had been trying to find something that would go with the look of the cabin and this was the closest I could find without having it custom made which would have probably cost more than a car. ;D  Yes there is alot of things that have aggrivated me since I started but as you say " they have passed".   Thanks for the compliments.