Framing system

Started by Greenbank, February 06, 2005, 04:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenbank

Howdy,

Mrs. Greenbank and I recently bought about 10 acres only a few miles from John on Whidbey Island. We were going to build a fairly modest (roughly 2000 sq. ft.) but unusual house, which we may still do, but the cost of custom construction and funding it has made us think we may try building a "guest" house first and live in that for a few years.

John's plans and site are great, and we're now thinking of putting up something ourselves from his plans. Doing research and figuring out whether I can commit the time--though I suppose it doesn't really have to be too rigorous, our land financing allows us five years to convert it to a regular mortgage or a construction loan.

I've been intrigued with the concept I've linked below for awhile now, originally as a way to erect a pole building for a shop but would it be suitable for building a small house?

Link to the site: http://socketsystems.com . What do y'all think?
A fool and his money are soon elected.

glenn kangiser

Welcome Greenbank,

I think it would be possible but I think that Johns plans would work better without them and that if they were used in a house with permits an architect and or engineer would still have to spec them then you would still have to frame for ceiling, walls etc.

Glenn
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

If you've got the urge to build but haven't done anything, see if there's a Habitat for Humanity program in your area, work on one of their buildings.  

If the group I worked with briefly was any model, though, don't get on the board (it would take them half an hour going through day-runners to find a time when more than four could meet!).