Venting wood siding to avoid paint and mold problems

Started by John Raabe, December 30, 2009, 03:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

I have recently added a public article on this topic at our sister site PlanHelp.com. Click the image below.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

RainDog

I take it that this wouldn't be so beneficial if siding with Hardie products, then? I'd kinda planned on doing a rainscreen thing with 'em, but if it's not worthwhile...
NE OK

ScottA

Actualy hardi products tend to soak up moisture so a rainscreen is the best way to go.

MountainDon

From what I've seen with hardie plank and sheet siding is that they only soak up the moisture when left with an edge sitting in water. The original test samples that I nailed in place have weathered rain and snow quite well, no discernible swelling, splitting or flaking. Of course it was painted on the outside. The materials I left, on purpose, with one edge on the ground were exposed to snow and water. They were not painted, other than the factory prime, so may not be a completely valid test. However, the lower inch to two inches did swell and would separate like a delamination.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Probably cheap insurance at any rate.  :D ;)

According to the report this is more likely to happen on the North and East sides of the house (less sun) and is not a problem when sidings can dry out regularly over the winter or wet season.
None of us are as smart as all of us.