Cason Two-Story 20x40 Texas update 10/10/07

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

My guess would be, built in place until it was 40 feet long.

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteJimmy, you said you built your beams all the way to 40'.  Does that mean at the end you had a 40' beam?  If so how did you move that thing? :-/

To make my 40 ft long beams I used 2x12s  
Each beam contains 6pcs. of 2"x12"x16' and 3 pcs. of 2"x12"x8' .
Because my post are 8 feet apart the butt joint is always on a post.
Starting from the front of the house.
I placed a 16 ft board on the first, second and third post.
Then built up the beam alternating the layout of the 16 ft butt joints and the 8 ft butt joints. so as not to have more than one butt joint on a beam at a time.
I think I did end up with 2 joints on one post somewhere in the layout.
But it did have a solid board in the mix of the three rows of boards.
Then glued, screwed and bolts the components together.

forestchilde

Hi...newbie here!!

I have to say I am extremely impressed!! You really built this for (so far) under $30k????!!!! Unbelievable giving the housing prices nowadays! My husband and I have considered building ourselves. I just wonder if it's possible with myself in school full time and hubby working full time. I guess I don't have to ask if it's worth the blood, sweat and tears, because it obviously is. Any suggestions?

glenn kangiser

I can tell you that Jimmy was here from start to finish - from wondering if he could to living in his creation.  We have a lot of wonderful success stories here and Jimmy's is one of our great ones.

...and  w* to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

forestchilde

Thanks for the welcome glenn!! I've read through several of the threads here of those building...it's encouraging. Of course my hubby and I just put up a pre-cut shed kit the other weekend and I almost decided I never wanted to hold a hammer again!! We are currently living in a 37 ft. travel trailer...never intended to be in it this long but life throws curves at times. We have to get out of it sooner than later or I'll go nuts. We initially came here (to VA) with the plan to build....it's just taking longer than I thought to come up with a plan. Glad I found this site...actually I had it book marked from a while back. I'll keep checking in!

glenn kangiser

Great -- let us know if we can help.  John's plans are made specifically to be simple for novice to accomplished builders.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

Quote from: forestchilde on December 31, 2007, 10:03:56 PM
Hi...newbie here!!

I have to say I am extremely impressed!! You really built this for (so far) under $30k????!!!! Unbelievable giving the housing prices nowadays! My husband and I have considered building ourselves. I just wonder if it's possible with myself in school full time and hubby working full time. I guess I don't have to ask if it's worth the blood, sweat and tears, because it obviously is. Any suggestions?

Thanks Forestchilde,
We are very happy with the way everything turned out.
I could not have built it with out the help I found here.
This forum is the ony reason I attempted the project. 

You asked if it's worth the blood, sweat and tears.........

Every time the first of the month comes around....
  I dont have to write a check to a lendor or a landloard, I know it is worth it!

As far as suggestions....
If you do it like me and pay as you go,
1.   Dont get in a hurry.

2.   Think about what each phase of the project will be.

3.   Figure out how much each phase will cost. 
I spent a couple hundred dollars just on large blue tarps to keep things dry because of the long time span from start to dried in.
I used mostly deck screws and large nails to hold my framing together. I was suprised to see how fast the little things like that ad up.
The little things are not included in my costs of what I spent. That might add another 300.00 for nails and screws.

4.  Decide if you can do the next phase of the project or will have someone else do it.
I subbed out the electric and the septic.

I dont check in as often anymore so I might miss a message or two.
But I always check my emails at casonjimmy@hotmail.com if you or anyone else has any burning questions.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

CWhite

Hi there,

I have been looking over your pictures (again) and I think you did your tin roof like ours has been done.  I would like to know for sure, and if you've had any problems with condensation forming under the tin, if it is like ours.
We have rafters, then 2 X 4 purlins, then the tin is screwed down to the purlings.  We intend on putting the fiber glass batting insulation between the rafters in a cathedral style ceiling in the upstairs. 

In your pictures of the roof, it sure does look similar.  Did you put any moisture barrier under the tin or on top of the purlins or did you use something between the insulation and the tin? 

I'm going through a building inspector nightmare, and they are threatening to make me take the tin roof off and put roofing felt under the tin across the purlins. 
Thanks for your reply if indeed you find this inquiry.
Christina

Jimmy C.

I used perlins to metal for my roof.
Then placed styrofoam vents and fiberglass insulation.
And I still have a condensation problem.
At some point I plan on spraying Icelene I am told this will stop the problem.
Until then I am using a dehumidifer upstairs. It does a good job keeping it dry.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.

Jimmy C.

Cozy Cason Cottage Christmas

Relaxing in my chair, I am amazed at what I have created for my family!

CWhite

Thanks for replying so quickly. 
Will you use the spray in insulation leaving the baffles (styrofoam vents) in place?   
Where did you get this information please and how is it that this will fix the problem on condensation?

My ceiling is still in the framed in stage, and the insulation hasn't been put in place yet.  If I can learn from your experience and avoid any further problems, I'll be grateful.

I also need to have my facts in order before I meet with the building inspectors again so that I won't have to take the metal roof off and do it their recommended way.  I do believe there must be another way.

Thanks again,
Christina

MountainDon

The sprayed in place Icynene would likely fulfill all requirements (as well as reducing rain noise) without having to tear anything apart. But not without some cost.

??? ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CWhite

That cost is relatively small compared to removing the roof entirely. 
Will you leave the styrofoam vent in place?
thanks,
Christina

glenn kangiser

Okie BoB is the king of Icynene here -- he loves it.  Sounds like that could solve your problem.

CWhite

Well, thanks
so, who is Okie Bob?  How do I ask him a question or two? 

Your place is so terrific.  I built a house that was paid for years ago with an x-husband type person.  It seems several life-times now.  It was a real point of pride to have nothing but a land payment for 4 years to get it out of the bank scene.  I've used some of what I learned then to keep the cost on my new house down, but not like you have done.  That is truly an accomplishment to be proud of. 
The Christmas photos look so inviting. 

thanks again,

Christina

MountainDon

I'm not quite sure what the styrofoam vent is. My understanding of the Icynene is that it gets applied directly to the metal and it sticks there and that's it.   ??? :-\

Okie_Bob's got some pictures on his blog
http://bobdanaslakehouse.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html
scroll way down to 06-03

Okie Bob   http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=178
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jimmy C.

Quote from: CWhite on January 01, 2008, 09:55:57 PM
Will you use the spray in insulation leaving the baffles (styrofoam vents) in place?   

I will remove the baffles then spray directly on the perlins and metal.
Okie Bob is who told me about the Icynene.

This is a pic I found on google of the vents.

PEG688

The  Styrofoam "vents" Jimmy was talking about can be made of a few different materials, card board is one other.

They are really baffles or a way of consistently keeping the vent space open , They insure the fiberglass batt doesn't get pushed to far up blocking the air space / vent space.

You would NOT use those the insulation will be sprayed into / on to the under side of the roofing FILLING the rafter / purlin / attic space fully . No "air flow / venting " required.

Jimmy issue is what I have been talking about.  That goofie dew point  :( that sets itself up.

Your problem will / may  be finding a installer in your area.  Hopefully there is one down your way, but that type of insulation is #1 Spendy #2 generally found where insulation is really needed , Ga. may be to mild a climate for anyone to have tried to sell that type insulation.

You also will more then likely have to teach the local inspectors about the spray foam type insulation, IF you can find some one to do it for you.

G/L PEG 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

Ya , what Jimmy said  ;D   d* Cross post  d*

MountainDon

Ahh!  d*  I added cardboard ones in my attic when I added a bunch of blown in cellulose on top of the fiberglass batts that lay on the ceiling. I just couldn't get the 'dots' connected at first. Doh!  d*

CWhite

OK thanks.  I think I understand it all now. 
You would be surprised at what is available here in Georgia.  The spray in insualtion is used all the time in the more expensive houses, and I live close to many "gated communities" where no expense is spared in their construction.  I just haven't made an effort to make my house cost as much as it possibly can in the construction.   
The building inspector even brought up the option of spray in insulation under baffles to use as a moisture barrier as an alternative to pulling up the roof, so that is why I'm looking into it here.   An engineer signed off on that method on another roof they tried to mess with and it was the only one of 3 this past year that didn't have the roof taken off and felt appiled under it as per their instructions.   
Thanks again.  Today starts my battle....sorry for hijacking the thread for my own purposes.  But I found some answers. 
Christina

glenn kangiser

We don't worry much about hijackers here as long as someone benefits.

Note that Icynene doesn't even require vents - but better go over that with your inspectors and engineer also.

If you vent it, that could cause the condensation issue you are trying to stop.  No air=no condensation.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 02, 2008, 10:24:46 AM

We don't worry much about hijackers here as long as someone benefits.

Note that Icynene doesn't even require vents - but better go over that with your inspectors and engineer also.

If you vent it, that could cause the condensation issue you are trying to stop.  No air=no condensation.

Excellent points Glenn ! 8)

Sort of team spirit,  every one learns , shares , all good ! 8)

MountainDon

Quote from: CWhite on January 02, 2008, 08:20:15 AM
The building inspector even brought up the option of spray in insulation under baffles to use as a moisture barrier as an alternative to pulling up the roof,
When you say "spray in" you do mean the expanding foam type of insulation don't you. I only ask as my head does funny things at times and I had a fleeting thought they were talking about "blown in" wet cellulose?  ???  d* I especially wondered that when the inspector quote above mentioned using it under baffles. One of the big points about Icynene and other wet applied expanding foams is the ability of the closed cell type to act as a perfect vapor barrier.

If none of the above applies.... never mind.  :)