Cordless Circular saw, any good?

Started by Ray_N, September 22, 2005, 10:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray_N

I bought some old unstalled windows from a contractor and he had a nice cordless skill saw,  I asked him about it and he liked it.  I realize now that he also probably had power if he bothered to run an extention cord.

What experience has anyone had with cordless circular saws in remote locations?  Yeah I realize they can't compare to 120v and no batteries or a generator,  but they tool sure seems handy if you could do a little more than cut thing plywood.

Bouncer

I use them a lot. There good for trim work put to cut 2x the batt. will not last long so you would need a couple and if it is treated lumber forget it.
Kevin

Jimmy_Cason

I have used a Porter-cable cordless saw at work to cut 3/4 inch maple, oak, and pine.

The are very handy. It will cut a 2 x 4 with no problem.

When I buy one for my self it will be a dewalt.

Jimmy_Cason

Then I will buy the matching AR-15 Nail Gun!

trish

Two years ago my husband bought a Sears Craftsman.  The saw died in 5 months.  He went back to Sears to get it replaced; Sears said no.  We weren't building any houses, just doing things like cutting shelving.

Lately I have been very disappointed with Sears items.  Both the stove and the tools have suffered in the reliability department.

Amanda_931

I've got the deWalt, have had for years.

Short time on a battery charge.

(in general drills are a better bet for cordless, but I understand that the circular saws are a whole lot better than the reciprocal ones when battery operated.)

Durned nice for awkward sawing situation where a cord is just asking to be cut.

Durned nice if you are building a couple of hundred feet away from power, and if you ran an extension cord that far down you'd have to get a 13 amp or smaller and great big extension cords (10-gauge wire!) to run the saw without power drop.  You could run a smaller extension cord to run the chargers.  

I'd suggest 3 of those very expensive batteries minimum, especially if you also have one or two (of the same voltage) drills.  

Although the deWalt charger will recharge a variety of different voltage tools.

Jens

Millwakee just put out their v28 lithium Ion saw.  supposed to just e incredible.  Cost something like $400 though.  Either for the serious carpenter willing to take a risk, or the person who needs all the new gadgets.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!