Invalid Construction . . .

Started by bayview, January 10, 2010, 08:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

NM Shooter has brought up the subject of widening a door opening on another thread.

Thanks for bringing up this subject . . .   It may be something we will all have to face. 

My dad was on a walker before his passing.  Getting into the bathroom was very difficult.  Recently my knee was "popped" out of joint from falling into a hole.  Again, it was very difficult to use the bathroom with my knee braced and using a cane. 

This whole subject has me considering a different floor plan for when we build our home.

I would be interested in your opinions.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

rick91351

I feel that it is something we all should think about because we all are living longer.  I feel most will strive to live as long as they can in their own homes.  Why not make it easy now rather than difficult latter. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

fishing_guy

Ranch type houses where everything is on one floor makes the most sense if you're getting older.  My Brother-in-law built a huge house a couple of years ago.  Put all that was needed on the top floor.  Set up his basement the same, except no stove(doesn't trust his kids around cooking). 

Setting up for handicapped access isn't so straight forward.  Wider hallways, open spaces, lowered counters, grab rails, ramps, all help...

The last couple of exterior doors we installed, we purchased the handicapped threshold for ten dollars extra.  Doesn't affect us now, but may help us out when we get older. (We already have an access ramp on the front of our house).

There are many things you must do if you want to meet handicapped code.  Some/most are pretty expensive.  There are many things you can do to make life easier for those with an infirmity.  Some/most just take some creative thinking.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

It is easier to provide handicap access when building than later. Wider doors can be a blessing to anyone moving furniture. There are some special door hinges that allow the door to intrude less on the open space in the frame; useful for doors that can only be opened 90 degrees. A proper handicap access bathroom will simply take up more floor space than a conventional bathroom. That should not be a problem for most people.

When it comes down to things like counter heights in the kitchen, bathroom or laundry though, I'm not so ready to want to make them lower. Lower countertops are more difficult for a non handicap person to use, especially if they are tall.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Although my house was not originally set up for handicap access I think it will pass with most wheel chairs.  I have a friend who came to visit in a chair.  He had no problems gaining access to the main floor where there was everything that one would need.  I did however on a remodel  concrete a ramp to a side door which has proved invaluable. My father although not bound by a chair has problem walking and the ramp made it easier to enter the house.  The only draw back is clearing it with snow and ice but is tolerable.

I didn't incorporate a ramp at the cabin "Yet". The layout of the front porch is so that a ramp would be problemmatic.  I have plans on a rear deck which also has access to the cabin but I went with 30" doors.  Not sure how that will work with a wheel chair as most are 36" door.  Still plenty of time "I Hope" to get something worked out.