20x30 Western Maine

Started by RIjake, May 07, 2011, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das fisch

You need to get me into that beaver bog in those pictures! season's fast approaching.
Also, please tell me you didn't just put window screen behind the holes you bored out in the soffits!!! hate to say it but you'll have either red or flying squirrels in there in no time. I'm a nuisance wildlife trapper by trade and I see this all the time, the get thru that window screen in no time at all. and I know for a fact we have flyers, up that way... they were all over my bait.

Squirl

AdironDoc

What a stunning view! Your land is very nice indeed!

RIjake

Quote from: das fisch on October 09, 2011, 06:41:03 PM
You need to get me into that beaver bog in those pictures! season's fast approaching.
Also, please tell me you didn't just put window screen behind the holes you bored out in the soffits!!! hate to say it but you'll have either red or flying squirrels in there in no time. I'm a nuisance wildlife trapper by trade and I see this all the time, the get thru that window screen in no time at all. and I know for a fact we have flyers, up that way... they were all over my bait.

Ok I won't tell you that I put window screen on the inside.........I put "special insect screen" on the inside! ;)

Seriously what do you recommend?  I've seen the round metal inserts at Hammond.  You think that's the way to go?  I really like the look of the open soffits and don't want to close it in.  I am planning on painting the rafters to give it a more finished look.

Funny you mention the "bog" in the picture.  I was surprised when I saw it because it's normally full of water and a nice little pond.  Never seen it like that before.  Unfortunately from what I hear it's a 'private' pond and access to it is kinda off-limits.  The owner lets kids fish it but that's it.

das fisch

I always recomend at a minimum 1/4" hardware cloth, 1/2" being a bit more substantial though. those round inserts will be an improvement indeed. just that the insect screening is good for the bugs, but once a critter gets a tooth or claw on there it tears very easily. I'm assuming you do not have access to put hardware cloth over the back of the insect screening now, then you could keep the simpler look of the holes you have currently.
thanks for the info on the pond, I'm assuming that's down at the bottom of the mountain we talked about between your place and mine?

are you going to be up there this coming weekend? I'll be up at my place from thurs evening to saturday late afternoon, you're welcome to stop by... Troy that goes for you too!

RIjake

Actually I do have access.  Maybe I'll put the hardware cloth in too.  I'll be up just for a day on Wed into Thurs. I do want to stop by soon though. 
The pond is actually almost directly across the main road from me.

TheWire

If its too tight to get your hardware cloth nailed or stapled, consider putting a bead of construction adhesive around the hole then pressing the cloth into it.

RIjake

Quote from: TheWire on October 10, 2011, 10:15:25 PM
If its too tight to get your hardware cloth nailed or stapled, consider putting a bead of construction adhesive around the hole then pressing the cloth into it.

Actually I used caulking, when I was caulking the blocking I ran a circle around the screen and stapled it.

RIjake

My buddy and I made a quick trip up for an overnight last night.  My mission was to install the rest of the windows, two of the windows that I had left to install from the last trip were too big for me to install by myself.  All the windows went in smoothly but the door I have for the loft/second floor deck was framed incorrectly so I'll have to address that at a later date.

At this point in the year we (wife-Sue) decided to move inside and pick away at the interior over the winter.  The harvest is starting to pay a bit so I think the stove pipe will be my next big purchase.  Next spring the finish grade will be one of the first things that I'll tackle, that and the siding will be priority.

Here's a couple updated shots.  I'm calling it tight to the weather!

archimedes

Nice looking place.  Nice proportions.  Did you go with the 10' side walls?  I can't remember.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Turkeyhunter

nice place---good job on gettting in the dry before winter. ......20' x 30' is the perfect size for a camp. I was up up in Maine last month for a few weeks, i really love it up there.

RIjake

Quote from: archimedes on October 13, 2011, 04:16:05 PM
Nice looking place.  Nice proportions.  Did you go with the 10' side walls?  I can't remember.

Yup, 10' walls per John's plans with the ledger for the loft floor at 8'.  I added 2' overhangs with exposed eaves and a 16" overhang on the gable ends.  I'm real happy with the results.

archimedes

Thanks for confirming that.

The proportions look really nice.   d*.    Nice job.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

duncanshannon

looks really nice.  I have the 1 1/2 plans.. hoping in a few years we will build.

what did you have to actually to do to 'add 2' overhands and 16" overhangs on gable end'?  Just add an extra two trusses and have them longer?

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

RIjake

Duncan, it's not difficult really. I don't have trusses. The house is stick built. I didn't frame the roof but it's just a matter of buying and installing longer rafters. The gable ends are extensions off the last rafter on the gables and carry the roofing off it.

Hey, noticed your picture there in your sig.  What dept. do you work for?

RIjake

Duncan, here's a couple detail pics

duncanshannon

oh, that seems easy enough. thanks for the pics.

i was on the local (Long Lake, MN) volunteer dept, but too busy with the kids, both parents working full time, and wife is in grad school... so I couldn't make the minimum commitments on page response (33%) so the booted me out. :(

Got thru all the training inc. an EMT...so wasn't time wasted but is frustrating to get kicked out.

are you a FF?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

RIjake

Yea, I work for Woonsocket, RI FD.  We're a medium size dept with 125 uniformed members.

Here's a link to our local

http://www.local732.org/

RIjake

Work has slowed down a bit as funds are a little low after Christmas!  I have managed to get the stairs and wood stove in.  Now we can work inside and be warm!  Here's a few cell phone pics.

We've been enjoying the winter weather too!

ajbremer

Monday Morning - January 16th, 2012 @ 4:52am Oklahoma

Hi RIjake,

Your place looks great! I'm building the 20x30 w/loft also and I'm gleaning a lot from your build.

It's going to be real cozy in your place with that wood stove, we are going with a wood stove also. Do you
plan on going straight up through the roof with the pipe - I'd imagine so. I kind of hate poking holes in my
roof if I don't have to but through the roof, apparently, is the best way to go?

Those stairs look really nice too. Did you buy the stringers? Did you first build the platform and then go from there? And lastly,
did you stick close to Johns plans for those stairs?

You must really be excited about your place. I'm doing mine little by little but it's coming along.

Thank you for all your hard work sir...

al
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

RIjake

Al,
The stove pipe is straight through the roof.  Because of the metal roof I needed a special flashing piece that I can mold to the ridges in the metal.  It takes some work to get it right and careful caulking to make it water tight. 
Yes, I feel going straight up is the best.  The less turns you have in your chimney the better it will draw.  My original plan was to put the stove in the bend in the stairs but I didn't have the clearances required without the stove being out in the middle of the room.
The stove pipe is Duravent DVL double wall from the stove up to just below the roof line where it transitions to triple wall galvanized Duravent DuraTech outside.  It was around 0 degrees the night after we got it in and the stove ran great all night with a couple fill-ups.

As far as the stairs, the stringers were cut on site.  The platform was done first after I was sure where it would be.  The stairs are pretty steep but they follow John's plans closely.  I used plywood treads and overhung them a bit to gain some more run but am probably going to replace them with oak later.  Fortunately I don't have to worry about inspections so I'm not too worried about the steepness.

das fisch

looking good. how much snow was up there? is that pic on the four wheeler on the mountain between your place and mine looking up towards saddleback? anyone riding sleds yet on the narrow gauge trails? want to get up and ride here soon, with a new (to me) sled sitting in the garage it's killing me with no snow!

RIjake

That picture was taken the week between Christmas and New Years.  There was about 2-3" of fresh powder.  Perfect for tracking.

That picture is taken from the top of the nubble on my land but looking almost east toward Strong and New Vineyard.  I was up again last week and there was only a dusting left but they got about 6" after I left.  No sleds yet! 

BTW, where can I get a snowmobile map of Temple, Avon, Phillips area?

das fisch

can't believe we're not sledding yet. I would contact the guys at the Narrow Gauge Trail Riders Club. They maintain those trails between you and I and up into Phillips. Also look on the Snowmobile Maine site. There is a bunch of info on trails and local clubs.
http://www.mesnow.com/

RIjake

Work at the camp has been progressing slowly over the winter.  You almost can't call it a winter here in New England.  A couple weeks ago we had temps in the 80's, then last week a quick snow hit giving us 2-3" up at the camp.

Anyway, the loft floor now has 2 coats of Tung oil on the underside, so that's ready to nail down.  Then once it's nailed down I think I might use it on the topside too.  It really looks beautiful.  The finish is matte and the color isn't at all yellow like polyurethane tends to do and the knots really pop!  Plus it's very forgiving to apply.  It's mixed one to one with either citrus solvent, mineral spirits or what I used, odorless thinner.

I've got two prices coming for the finish excavation/grade.  That will be done as soon as the heavy trucking road closures are lifted. 

The siding is ordered and will be on site after the grade work is done.

I don't know if I mentioned it in a prior post but a good friend of mine and fellow FF bought a piece of land next to me last summer.  He may be building soon but for right now he just comes up with me and helps and we enjoy the land and wildlife.

Here's a couple visitors

Big Tom!

My cheapy harbor freight solar setup mounted on the top of my connex.  I've got one battery in there now so I can have lights, radio and a couple 12V computer fans on a timer at the vents to give me some air circulation.

And last a view from on top of the connex towards the camp.  You really can see from this angle what I have for excavation left to do.