Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

What I was referring to was Schluter product.  It is Orange and replaces the concrete backerboard.  They also have other products for shower walls and etc.. 

ScottA

I looked at that stuff but my tile guy said he didn't like it. He told me what he was going to use but I forgot what it's called. It's like sheetrock but it has the waterproofing built in to it. I'm subing out my tile work to a buddy of mine.

Redoverfarm

Sometime ago I had mentioned using a jamb saw to cut off the standing locust post.  Well I located one from a friend (neighboring property owner). What a cool tool.  It is patterned off of a 4-1/2" angle grinder.  It has an adjustable foot/guard for varing thickness of flooring.  The brand is "Roberts".  Now why couldn't I have been the one to have thought of this.  I had used the verticle type before but had never used this style (horizontal).  It also has a 6" carbide blade instead of a standard 4-1/2" that usually accompanies the angle grinder.  I haven't checked out the price yet but it would be interesting just to see how it compares to the other styles which usually are arouind $400+.  Long story short in about 15 minutes I had cut all the five post to except my flooring later. 

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Yeah Don I found that after I posted.  Not a bad price in comparison to others I had seen.

Grand777

nice john for the Dogtrot at Hightop i am impress to your hard work  i love your discussion here in this forum you have great topic john,.,thanks john for sharing your wonderful post.,.,.

Redoverfarm

Just a little bit of everything this week.  Started by cutting open the floor for the stairs then building them. Trimmed out some windows on the interior of the living room until I ran out of finished lumber.  Parged the retaining wall for the propane tank in preparation of laying the rock prior to installing the propane tank.

I didn't get a picture of the wall or the trim work on the windows.  I did however take one of the basement steps.  The block wall was painted with Dri-lock, firing strips, insulation board.  I used 2X12's for the steps. Using a 1/2" roundover bit I created a bullnose on the face.  I used deck screws and construction adhesive on the treads.  Came back and wooden pluged the screw holes.  A little overkill for basement steps but what the heck.  Made a pretty good looking step.  I will probably come back later and add 3/4" riser boards to finish it off.  There will be a partition along the open side of the stairs in the basement with a exterior door at the bottom of the stairs.  The reason is that the top stairs will be open and that is the only way to seal off the basement from the 1st floor.

MountainDon

What are your plans for those basement walls?   Stairs look nice.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I am not real sure Don.  For what is around the stairway it will be blue board drywall and insulation.  As for the rest I haven't decided.

Redoverfarm

The last couple of days I have been finishing out the windows.  As of today I have about 1/2 of the 12 windows done.  No special skill required.  Let me back that up a little.  Some of the logs were bowed and not completely straight as convientional framing.  So to get the rough in frames, finish boards plumb as well as the windows I think I had to custom cut each piece to make it presentable.  Now I have to stain some more lumber before I can continue.  Well here is the end results. 

The good news is that the log stringers I had mentioned earlier as well aas the 3" dressed beam that I will use to cut my 3"X10" steps out of are ready to be picked up. Also another local mill called and said that the 1X6 T&G beadboard which I am going to install on the bathroom wall and foyer are also ready to be picked up.  Looks like Monday will be a transportation day. 

glenn kangiser

That's a nice combination, John.  Looks good.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Sassy

What a showplace!  You should be very proud of yourself - you can see all the time, care, expertise in everything you've done there.  Would love to make it out there sometime & see it. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

jdbmont

Redoverfarm; thanks for the info on how you anchored your porch support
poles. I've read all your posts and am very impressed with your cabin.
Really like the front door and all the stone work you've done. Thanks again

Redoverfarm

This week I have been working on the 1X6 TG for the foyer/bathroom wall. I picked up the lumber on Monday which was only about a three hour window without the rain that we have had steady for the last 6-7 days.  I finished and installed it.  I also started today on the basement partition adjacent to the basement stairs.  I will finish it tomarrow by installing the door at the bottom of the stairs.  Since the stairs on the main floor will be completely open there was no way to seal that area from the basement so I decided to seal off the basement stairs. 

These first two pictured are the paneling where it had to be scribed to the contour of the log wall and chink joints.  I sort of cheated on this by not doing the old fashion scribing.  I got a contour guage and started at the top doing 6 inches at a time until I reached the floor.  It had to be done on both walls adjacent to the exterior doors.

A little eye candy for your enjoyment.

Here is a couple shots of the paneling.  Use your imagination and see if you can pick out the BEAR IN THE WALL.  It appears in both pictures of the wall.  The second one you may have to go to the left/right adjustment bar to view.

Basement stairs partition.

Beavers

Wow, I can't believe how tight of fit you got on that paneling!

No way would I have the patience or skill to get a fit like that.  :o
Looks great!

Alasdair

looks great! but which bear are you talking about? I see 3!
[crz]

Redoverfarm

Beavers it is not all skill or patience.  A lot has to do with having the right tool.  I had done several other scribes in the cabin with a divider or compass but this was far easier and I think a little more accurate.  This is what I used.

Alasdair There are several images that you can get from grain and knot patterns.  I thought this was just funny it turned out that way.  Didn't really notice it until I downloaded the pic's from the camera once I got home.  I will try to see it tomarrow with my naked eye.

considerations

I used to giggle when I saw all the discussion on this forum about "having the right tool".  I just thought it was a "guy" thing.  I was so wrong....that little comb you just posted works really well, better than any of the other options I tried.  I wish I had acquired one earlier in the process. 

The work is beautiful..you picked a real challenge, marrying linear and non-linear building techniques, but that place is already a work of art.

Congratulations.  :)

ScottA

Redoverfarm

Considerations I thought about you when I was using it with the scribing that you had to do around the post near the stairs.

Jens

looking awesome, and close to completion Red.  Can't wait until it is done, so we can schedule that visit :)
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

considerations

"Considerations I thought about you when I was using it with the scribing that you had to do around the post near the stairs."

Aw, shucks, you say that to all the beginners!   ;)

MountainDon