The new age with LED's.

Started by Redoverfarm, March 22, 2016, 06:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Just thought I would pass along my first experience with the new LED lights.  I was recently at Sam's Wholesale Club and noticed a 4' LED shop light.  I had seen similar ones at Lowes & Home Depot but the price was a little high IMO at nearly $50 a unit.  So Sam's had a Honeywell 4500 lumens, 42W unit for $35.  Yep I bit on that just to try one out.  I was amazed at the amount of light they gave out.  Probably 2-3 time that of a comparable florescent unit.  So anyone  in the market might want to give them a try.  Eventually I plan on changing all of my florescent units over to LEDs.

Adam Roby

I haven't seen those yet, this would at least fix the cold temperature issue where the tubes would flicker and be a bit dim until they warm up.  That and not having the scratch my head and touch the bulb to get it to "catch".  I think the ballast is out of whack on mine...

Speaking of ballast, does the LED bulb require any retrofit?  It was my understanding (very probably wrong understanding) that the ballast would provide a high voltage "start-up" pulse to get the fluorescent light to start and then would just regulate the current. I wonder if the LED light goes really bright at first and then dims... I guess they factored that into their design.  I sometimes wonder why I speak at all...

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Adam Roby on March 22, 2016, 07:38:24 AM
I haven't seen those yet, this would at least fix the cold temperature issue where the tubes would flicker and be a bit dim until they warm up.  That and not having the scratch my head and touch the bulb to get it to "catch".  I think the ballast is out of whack on mine...

Speaking of ballast, does the LED bulb require any retrofit?  It was my understanding (very probably wrong understanding) that the ballast would provide a high voltage "start-up" pulse to get the fluorescent light to start and then would just regulate the current. I wonder if the LED light goes really bright at first and then dims... I guess they factored that into their design.  I sometimes wonder why I speak at all...

Not sure of the ballast on retrofit.  These units don't require any.  It is my understanding (very limited) that the LED bulbs are basically DC voltage.  I would imagine there would have to be something to convert it to AC.  I had a discussion with someone the other day about retro fitting a LED into a florescent unit and I thought they said they had to disconnect the ballast.  I am sure someone in this forum will put a little light ( no pun intended) onto the subject.

The one that I got in fact I bought another yesterday are instant start.  Well within a millisecond anyway.  They are constant bright and do not change from when they are turned on.

All I know is that I am tired of florescent bulb units.  They don't last at least the way they used to.  Most have electronic ballast and not a starter like the older ones.  A year or so and they just quit. Change the bulbs is not a fix anymore. Junk them and buy another unit.  I think this one is suppose to last for 50,000 hours and they state an annual cost to operate is like $5 a year.

Adam Roby

I agree... right now LEDs tend the be pricey because they are not the "standard" lighting, but it is coming.  The energy savings, coupled with the more green approach (none of the more harmful gasses like mercury vapor and argon, xenon, neon, or krypton).  In my area they are banning (or have already banned) the 100 watt incandescent bulbs "for the environment" but promote the compact fluorescent lamps which IMO are far worse for the environment that any incandescent bulb.  LEDs seem to solve both problems, and if bought in China then they are not all that expensive (but you need to experiment a bit first).

MountainDon

I have converted our 2 car garage / workshop to LED lighting completely. 31 years ago I installed 5 dual tube 48" fluorescent tube fixtures. I know I have replaced most of the ballasts once and a while back I noticed several were humming badly. I tried a DIY approach. I purchased some LED strips from China. Like the ones sold here.

They operate on 12 volts DC. 900 to 1100 lumens per 50 cm (20") strip. Each strip draws about 9 watts (.75 amp @ 12 VDC).  There are aluminum channel strips with plastic covers the strips can slide into. I simply pulled the FL tubes and ballasts out of the fixtures and used double stick tape to secure the LED strips to the FL case. I used 4 strips in most of the fixtures. To supply the 12 volts for the first conversion I used a couple salvaged AC to DC power supplies I have collected over the years. I also purchased some power supplies on ebay like these.

There are plugs that make the wiring slightly simpler.

If anyone wants to try this be aware you are on your own. You do need some electrical knowledge and what you end up with is not necessarily going to be code approved.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

I want to add I have also used several of the strips to make under the cabinet lights to illuminate countertops, in the kitchen at home and at the cabin as well as in the workshop. The cabin runs directly off the battery power.

The AC to DC power supplies do have a slight delay after flipping on the AC power. They seem to need a second or so warm up time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 22, 2016, 06:50:25 AM
Just thought I would pass along my first experience with the new LED lights.  I was recently at Sam's Wholesale Club and noticed a 4' LED shop light.  I had seen similar ones at Lowes & Home Depot but the price was a little high IMO at nearly $50 a unit.  So Sam's had a Honeywell 4500 lumens, 42W unit for $35.  Yep I bit on that just to try one out.  I was amazed at the amount of light they gave out.  Probably 2-3 time that of a comparable florescent unit.  So anyone  in the market might want to give them a try.  Eventually I plan on changing all of my florescent units over to LEDs.

WOW!!! $35 to really really low.  I did some checking with some discount jobbers and they are still in the $50 range.  Granted next year at this time_____.  The night lights are pretty interesting as well. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

flyingvan

Our porchlight is white LED's.  The bugs completely ignore it.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

rick91351

Quote from: flyingvan on March 22, 2016, 01:46:48 PM
Our porchlight is white LED's.  The bugs completely ignore it.

I wish I could say the same.  We last year had some types moths and lace wings that were crazy about ours.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Insects are attracted to lights by two things. Heat and wavelength.

They are attracted most heavily to UV and blue light, much less to red and yellow.  LED's vary a lot in their wavelength output, but generally the less blue more warm LED's will be less attractive to insects. 

The fact that LED's also put out less heat is a plus in their favor.

rick91351

This one by the front door may indeed be more in the blue spectrum.  From a a long and I mean a long ways away it is very visible. 

MushCreek

I recently bought some 4' LED strip lights on ebay. They are a single 'bulb', and were $130 for 10 of them, or $13 a piece. They are easy to put up; there's a couple clips that you screw into place, and just snap them in. They come with a coupler to connect them end-to-end for a continuous strip. They put out nice light for my barn. I plan to order 20 more, for a total of 30 to light up my 28 X 32 shop. Time will tell whether they hold up over time. There are a number of dealers selling them on ebay.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Herb Maniac

I just bought some dimmable LED flood lights. 4 for $24.99 on amazon. 9 watts with output comparable to 65 watts. Installed them on my ceiling and they are almost identical to the previous CFL ones. I like them. It's bright from the get-go and they use even less power than CFLs.
The purpose of our lives is to be happy. - Dalai Lama

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Herb Maniac on April 06, 2016, 12:46:44 PM
I just bought some dimmable LED flood lights. 4 for $24.99 on amazon. 9 watts with output comparable to 65 watts. Installed them on my ceiling and they are almost identical to the previous CFL ones. I like them. It's bright from the get-go and they use even less power than CFLs.

What size were they?  R20's or R30's.  When I bought the work lights they also had flood lights (LED) but I don't recall the size or the price.  I need a bunch of them both inside & out but too much to bite off at one time.  I hate exchanging them when the others are still working.  Probably just exchange one at a time.  By then they will come out with something better. d* 

Herb Maniac

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 06, 2016, 02:01:46 PM
What size were they?  R20's or R30's.  When I bought the work lights they also had flood lights (LED) but I don't recall the size or the price.  I need a bunch of them both inside & out but too much to bite off at one time.  I hate exchanging them when the others are still working.  Probably just exchange one at a time.  By then they will come out with something better. d*
R30's. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-459552-Dimmable-Equivalent-White/dp/B017RX1JNY
Temporarily out of stock though. Price fluctuates like crazy and you have to buy them when they're available. It's the new world of price algorithms.
The purpose of our lives is to be happy. - Dalai Lama

glenn kangiser

Costco had a super good LED work light by Snap-on.  I bought one and am very happy with it.  Super bright.

Very little heat and bright as a large flood light.

http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Snap-On-LED-Worklight,-2000-Lumens-%28757636%29.product.11981062.html
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 15, 2016, 10:59:28 PM
Costco had a super good LED work light by Snap-on.  I bought one and am very happy with it.  Super bright.

Very little heat and bright as a large flood light.

http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Snap-On-LED-Worklight,-2000-Lumens-%28757636%29.product.11981062.html

Going to have to look around Glenn for those.  Not a member of Costco but I am sure there are other retail markets that offer them.  I am tired of the old Halogen work lights.  Swell when they are well but that normally is short lived.  They produce so much heat that the porcelain bulb holders or the contacts melt or disintegrate.  Usually you can't find a replacement part.

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 16, 2016, 08:45:46 AM
Going to have to look around Glenn for those.  Not a member of Costco but I am sure there are other retail markets that offer them.  I am tired of the old Halogen work lights.  Swell when they are well but that normally is short lived.  They produce so much heat that the porcelain bulb holders or the contacts melt or disintegrate.  Usually you can't find a replacement part.

Check your local Snap-On Jobber or truck.  I liked the Halogen lamps for the heat.  Set one up on a gelled diesel line or water line worked wonders.... 

Redoverfarm

Quote from: rick91351 on April 16, 2016, 09:12:58 AM
Check your local Snap-On Jobber or truck.  I liked the Halogen lamps for the heat.  Set one up on a gelled diesel line or water line worked wonders....

Yeah we have one that shows up at a couple garages.  But if the lights are anything like their tools I am not sure I can afford them off the truck.  d* I am into my third set of Halogens work lights in the last 10-15 years.  I think it is time for a change with the new LEDs.  Just have to wait until the last set dies.  ;D

I used them in the kneewall storage areas in the drywall.  Thought I would have to start up the air conditioner.  They do put out a lot of heat.  I think mine are 500 watts.

bayview

We had previously replaced all the florescent bulbs in the house to save on energy costs.

For some reason the florescent bulbs messed with my eyes.   Flickering?

We recently replaced the whole house with LED's.   No more "eye" problems . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

glenn kangiser

The work light is relatively cheap at Costco... seems it was about $29 -$39 ...sorry - cant remember but I am too cheap to spend much more.  Harbor freight had one that was unsatisfactory.  The Snap-on one is wonderful.

I have burned myself a few times on the Halogen ones... massive power use not great for offgrid and a waste of energy using the brute force method of lighting.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Adam Roby

Quote from: rick91351 on April 16, 2016, 09:12:58 AM
...I liked the Halogen lamps for the heat.  Set one up on a gelled diesel line or water line worked wonders....

We had a neighbor that would leave his dogs outside all year round (some -30 temps) and all he left in their dog houses was a single 100 watt light bulb.  Kept them alive... but I'm sure they would have preferred to be next to him on the sofa watching TV.

MushCreek

Quote from: MushCreek on March 23, 2016, 06:00:42 AM
I recently bought some 4' LED strip lights on ebay. They are a single 'bulb', and were $130 for 10 of them, or $13 a piece. They are easy to put up; there's a couple clips that you screw into place, and just snap them in. They come with a coupler to connect them end-to-end for a continuous strip. They put out nice light for my barn. I plan to order 20 more, for a total of 30 to light up my 28 X 32 shop. Time will tell whether they hold up over time. There are a number of dealers selling them on ebay.

WARNING! I put up the first ten of these LED lights, and like them pretty well- BUT- the little metal clips are NOT enough to hold them up. I was running my lathe yesterday when several of them just fell down. Luckily, they weren't the ones directly over my head! They seem secure enough, so I don't know why they fell- expansion or something. At any rate, I just finished adding safety wires around each end to prevent further excitement. I am impressed though. Despite falling more than 12' on to a concrete floor, they didn't get a scratch, and work just fine.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.