Trying to simplify an online plan

Started by CTSNicholas, May 22, 2013, 06:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTSNicholas

I have found a plan that I fell in love with.  It's not 100% accurate for floor plan, but the layout in general is what I want. 

Changes : No second bath on left.  House outside pocket for bottom left bedroom would go away and shrink to room to an office with a stub wall looking into the living room area.  There would be a porch, but it would be the full width of the house.  A BASEMENT would exist.  The only logical area I can find is to put the staircase to the right of the front door, broken up by a stub wall so when you walk in you don't fall down the stairs or get a goofy feeling.

My dimensions would turn out to be 32 x 34.  My dilemma is that I want to have a smaller design since I would have a full basement.  I really would like everything retirement friendly, as in all rooms that a couple would need are upstairs.  It works that way now, but figured I could shave the dimensions with some advice.

Notes : I really like the great room and kitchen on the right side (that's the south side of house)  I like the kitchen at the back to get morning sun, and to also be easily accessible for summer night barbecues and the sort right near the back door.  I imagine that some scrunching can be done in areas...I just don't know where.  I don't want it to feel too tight though, so I didn't plan on changing the kitchen layout or the living room because of a staircase.

John Raabe

I can see how the kitchen and main room work well with your sunpath. I would sketch this floor plan out to scale with the dimensions you want to see if you can get it smaller as you desire. Start with the stair as it will drive much of the way things work around it. If you don't need the 2nd bath on the left, that might work for the stair. Keep the open concept great room and don't chop it up with a basement stair.

That's a suburban tack on porch. If you are really going to use it it needs to be about 7'-8' deep.

NOTE: This post was moved from the Plan Support forum as the plan being modified is not a CountryPlans house.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

CTSNicholas

Quote from: John Raabe on May 22, 2013, 09:28:52 AM
I can see how the kitchen and main room work well with your sunpath. I would sketch this floor plan out to scale with the dimensions you want to see if you can get it smaller as you desire. Start with the stair as it will drive much of the way things work around it. If you don't need the 2nd bath on the left, that might work for the stair. Keep the open concept great room and don't chop it up with a basement stair.

That's a suburban tack on porch. If you are really going to use it it needs to be about 7'-8' deep.

NOTE: This post was moved from the Plan Support forum as the plan being modified is not a CountryPlans house.
John, thanks for the suggestions.  I am eagerly awaiting my engineering triangle ruler, two triangle squares, and an architect template for many household items at 1/4" scale.  I think if I draw out the design I can find some wasted space.

My most debatable issue is the staircase.  I was thinking maybe have it along the south wall in the great room, and have it hug the corner to take a 90 degree turn the rest of the way down.  This would clutter up the exterior wall of the great room though.  This would mean a fireplace on the west wall and TV in the corner of the staircase.  :-\  I considered doing a 180 degree staircase system where the second bathroom is on the north side since I won't have one there.  I am afraid it would make moving any furniture rather hard to do?  Having the stairs just to the right (south) of the front door seems to be the cleanest location...aside from  having them so dang close to the entrance?  ???

MushCreek

You might want to download Google Sketch-Up (free) and learn to use it. Much better than pencil and paper. You will be doing a LOT of drawings.

My other suggestion would be to start from scratch, rather than trying to adjust an existing drawing. I went down that path for a long time until I finally scrubbed it all, and started from scratch. Stairs are a major issue, and you want to be sure whatever you design meets code. Our plan wound up at 1250 sq ft, and there's only one bedroom on the main level! We have a view across the back, so all of the 'public' rooms are in back, and the stairs are in the front corner.

If you are going to plan to make it retirement friendly, look into Universal design to make sure the main floor is also wheelchair-accessible (it happens). The main thing there is to 36" doors throughout, and blocking in the bathroom walls for future hand rails.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

CTSNicholas

Thanks MushCreek.

I am afraid that I will find myself putting in the same floor plan even when designing this by scratch because I thought of a design so similar to this without know it existed online with plan prints.   d* 

I'll try sketchup again...I was turned off by expanding items only one way when pulling up/sideways. Haha.  If there are cabin plans or some third party plans that implement as much accessibility as this plan on the first floor I would like to see them.  I haven't been able to find cabin plans that don't feature this type of work.  Also most of them go up to a loft, and in a tornado area I rather have a basement and no loft.  Two sticklers are having the kitchen and great room exactly how they are in the current plan, on the south side.  That doesn't leave much for changes.  :-\