beam connection

Started by Leo, August 21, 2005, 10:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

On my victorias plans the beam will be 3 2x12s connected to 6x6 pt post,the information provided says bolt to the outside of the post with with 1/2 galvined bolts ?2 or 3 per post?are all 3 2x12s to go to the outside?or 2 out and 1 in with spacer blocking stonger?  The    septic tank,temporary electric,driveway ,piers and  post are in with the 2x12s  coated with a green chemical that kills things.floor joist are stacked near by. I have stretched the plan to 32' with none of the additions added.   the bottom of the  16x16x8 piers are from the bottom 30" down at the corners and the middle 3  are on the same size footers are down 14"which is below historical frost depths on hard clay and stone .  Now my only concern is wind  I should have had the backhoe operator take the footers deeper but the 105 heat index affects my thought process.any suggestions to strenghthen for wind resistance the piers are at the end of 20 " x40" holes still open????

Jimmy C.

Leo, I used 3 rows 2x12s for my beams. Then set them directly on top of the posts and secured them with metal brackets. The foundation is 20'x40' My beams are made up 3 rows of two 2''x12''x16' and one 2"x12"x8' for each row.
The posts are at 8 ft apart so the ends and the mid-section of all of my boards fall on top of post.
I plan on putting more posts in later in between the 8 ft. posts. Just to make me feel better about the longevity of the foundation.
The entire build up has been nailed, glued, and screwed together, then I placed 5/8" lag bolts and large washers at the top and bottom of the beams every four feet to compress the assembly. This has made one sturdy beam.
It probably would have been less work to buy a full size beam. But, I dont think I could lift it.
[size=13]Disclaimer: This is the way I did it. And it may not be the safest way or the best way, but it has worked for me so far. [/size]

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Leo

Thanks Jimmy, sounds good to me .Looks you have some nice scenery