20x40 1 1/2 story in NW PA

Started by itpdk9, August 12, 2012, 07:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itpdk9

I scored an awesome deal on Craigslist today.  Picked up a paslode cf325li framing nailer for 250 bucks...brand new.  Awesome deal, they are 399 in HD.  Just figured I would share  ;D

archimedes

Nice looking property.

What was it like putting the septic in?  Sometimes it's pretty tough in PA.

Any problems getting the cabin affidavit approved.    I've thought of going that route myself.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

itpdk9

Quote from: archimedes on February 04, 2013, 01:54:17 PM
Nice looking property.

What was it like putting the septic in?  Sometimes it's pretty tough in PA.

Any problems getting the cabin affidavit approved.    I've thought of going that route myself.

Thank you, septic was no problem because there was one listed on the property already.   There is an old cabin on the property that I am in the process of taking down.  This cabin had a septic and well listed so it made it a lot easier for me as they were already on the county books.  However i cannot find them anywhere on the property.  The new septic was installed without any major issues.  I have a friend that does it for a living where I live so he brought up his excavator and in a day we had it installed.  Not too bad.

I was hesitant going the route of the cabin affidavit at first.  Then I spoke with the building inspector who is contracted through the Township.  After talking to him, I realized that what he expected vs me building a "cabin" was not what I had in mind.  I did not want to have to go through waiting for him to inspect every single stage as he said it would be.  That would completely throw off my time frame.  I decided to go with the cabin affidavit.  No inspections and will save a bunch of money on permits.  I will still build structurally to code per se, the stairs will not pass code.  However, my family will be sleeping in the cabin so I will make sure it is built correctly.  Plus I have a contractor friend with me.  They were crazy about the insulation requirements and heating and cooling etc.  I am perfectly happy with the cabin affidavit now, it cost me 15 dollars for the county to come assess it when I am done. 

Where are you located? in PA?

itpdk9

I forgot to add that I was majorly stressing over getting the cabin affidavit approved.  It literally took 10 minutes.  The township has a manager that works in the office and two road crew guys.  The manager is should add only works on thursdays, so you can see the type of area I was dealing with.  The manager was a super nice man, 82 years old, and I was afraid that he wouldn't make it the copier about 10 feet across the room.  All the stressing that I did was for not.  In and out permit in hand. 

archimedes

Quote from: itpdk9 on February 04, 2013, 02:49:44 PM
I forgot to add that I was majorly stressing over getting the cabin affidavit approved.  It literally took 10 minutes.  The township has a manager that works in the office and two road crew guys.  The manager is should add only works on thursdays, so you can see the type of area I was dealing with.  The manager was a super nice man, 82 years old, and I was afraid that he wouldn't make it the copier about 10 feet across the room.  All the stressing that I did was for not.  In and out permit in hand.

[cool] [cool]

That's good to know.  I've been looking NE PA and the septic requiresments there are quite daunting.  Apparently the is a very shallow impermeable layer.  Septic needs to be above ground and pressured.   >:(

The affidavit sounds like the way to go though for a cabin though. 
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

itpdk9

I am getting excited it looks like next week the weather is finally going to break here in PA.  I am looking at taking the kubota back to my property the end of the month and starting to drill holes the first weekend in April.  Can't wait to get going.  All the planning and figuring will finally come to light...

Oh and I also changed my plans again... I will try and get a picture of it up here shortly.

thank you all again for your help and knowledge.

Carpetman

New member here. Also looking to build around the cook forest area. Just in the process of purchasing my property. Hope you don't mind if i follow your progress and ask questions. Did you have to install a sand mound septic system. This is probably what i will need. Thanks in advance

itpdk9

Heading to the property in the morning, to start my build.  I am taking delivery of my building materials and will be starting the foundation.  I am pretty excited been waiting for this for a while now.   ;D  I got my well finished last weekend so now I have water on site which is so nice.  It is amazing how much you overlook things like water and electric in our everyday lives.  The last necessity will be hooking up to the septic which is a bit away.  Will be really nice to have a working toilet lol.  So I will take a bunch of pictures and post on here.  Wish me luck tomorrow  ::)

Don_P

QuoteWill be really nice to have a working toilet lol.  So I will take a bunch of pictures and post on here.  Wish me luck tomorrow 

Will these be before and after shots to prove it works or can we take your word for it? But as I get older I know what you mean, good luck!

Couldn't resist  ;D

Hope all goes well, be safe out there.

itpdk9

Don_P... too funny,  I guess that didn't come out right, no pun lol. 

Had a great day got all my posts in and concreted.  I will get my pictures up loaded tonight. 

itpdk9

Well here are the pictures that I promised.  I will try and get up to date as it has been a busy 10 days.

Posts Set

Setting the Beams

Setting the I Joists

Rim Board and Gravel Underneath in place

Decking installed

First Wall going up

Two walls up

itpdk9

Setting the 3rd wall

Of course it poured for 2 days, but this picture is with all 1st floor done and 2nd floor joists in place

First floor done

Second floor done, setting the Rafters

itpdk9

deck posts set and working on rafters still...in the rain.

Working on deck and rafters done

It was sooo muddy..

itpdk9

redjhoo

Very nice build.
Thanks for sharing.
Would you mind sharing what the size of those beams and also the I-Joists are?

mogie01

Wow, your place is looking great!!  I'm looking forward to watching your blog.   [cool]

Mo

itpdk9

Quote from: redjhoo on May 06, 2013, 11:46:42 PM
Would you mind sharing what the size of those beams and also the I-Joists are?

Thanks guys... Redjhoo the beams are 3 2x12's w/ 1/2in filler and the I joists are 11 7/8 x 20.  The I joists were actually cheaper than the same size dimensional lumber and a lot stronger too.  It is amazing the strength that those I joists have for being so flimsy looking lol.

drbuilder

Nice looking build.  Can you tell me how your porch posts are connected to your beam below? I can see a connector of some type, but I am not sure what it is.  Are the posts also notched on the beam below the decking?

itpdk9

Quote from: drbuilder on May 13, 2013, 02:28:05 PM
Nice looking build.  Can you tell me how your porch posts are connected to your beam below? I can see a connector of some type, but I am not sure what it is.  Are the posts also notched on the beam below the decking?
Thanks Drbuilder, the porch posts are connected to the decking using blocking underneath and a post cap bracket on top of that.  The posts coming out of the ground are notched, and the beam is carriage bolted to the post. It may be hard to see in the picture but the posts in the ground are not exactly lined up with the posts sitting on the deck.  Hopefully I answered your questions if not let me know.  thanks Scott

drbuilder

[...the porch posts are connected to the decking using blocking underneath and a post cap bracket on top of that. quote...]

I understand.  Thanks much.

itpdk9

Well I was able to get up to camp today, I got some more grading done now that it is really drying up. (we had a bunch of rain) I was able to get my utility line dug and my water line run.  I am hopefully going to be able to get my friend who is an electrician up there next friday to get my electrical service hooked up in the cabin.  I also found an Amish Hemlock mill very close to my camp and I ordered the hemlock for the outside, board and batten.  I am really excited about that as it was half as much as I thought it would be, as I had priced it out at a mill closer to home that was a dollar a board foot.  The Amish price is 50 cents a board foot.  So I am at half of what I thought.  BONUS...  I also did some laying out of where my walls are going to go for the bedroom and bathroom/mud room.   I am ready to frame those up on my next trip.  Things are going well, I am happy with where I am.  I am also in the process of getting prices for my metal roofing.  That is where I am at...

itpdk9

So a lot of my pictures are gone from photobucket, not sure why and it has been forever since I updated here so I figured I would add a few recent pictures....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itpdk9

I just had all of the stumps grounded from the 30 trees I took out in front of the cabin. I had to open it up it was too wet and wouldn't dry out. I am in the process now of power raking, adding topsoil and seeding the front.

I have all the drywall hung inside and am paying a local to finish it for me, I did the finishing in the bathroom but for me to do the whole cabin it would take forever and I am trying to get it primed and painted before fall.  The place is coming along so nicely, my family love going up on the weekends and it will only get better as I check things off the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk