Half Staff For Whitney?

Started by sparks, February 16, 2012, 10:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is lowering the Flag of The United states of America appropiate in New Jersey?  In recognition of her death?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
14 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 21, 2012, 10:40:04 PM

sparks

Something about this just seems to be over the top to me.

I vote no.

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

sparks

I mucked up......help Mtn Don!!!!!

sparks

sparks

Yep.....I just did the big stupid......posted the same topic twice .......

I can hear Mtn Don already........

"Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drone....time for this one to leave me alone"

s

MountainDon

I'll delete the other one.....   mumble, mumble, toil and trouble....      ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sparks

Oh, what the heck.

Vote in both polls, vote early, and vote often........it's the American way.........

Especially if you live in Chicago..........

s

firefox

At first I thought you meant that NJ had died, and In that case it might have been appropriate, but then I realized that that had happened a long time ago, so I re read the post.

I don't know the performer and I certainly do not want to disparage the dead, but
it is definetly inappropriate.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

sparks

1)......Again........Mtn Don bails my hind end out of stupidity........
      Hail Mtn Don.......Hail Mtn Don........Hail Mtn Don.............thanks

2) I should have used her full name in the topic title..............

3) Whitney Houston's passing is surely tragic.......but I feel the lowering of our national flag was a bit much.............I've seen our flag at half staff outside a fire station, following the loss of one of their own.....and I really didn't have any issue with that

sparks

sparks

It seems to be legal:

•Only the president of the United States or the governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure.
•In addition to the traditional half-staff salutes when proclaimed by the President, the Flag Code mentions the use of our Flag for honoring citizens who have died, especially government officials and prominent citizens. However, the Flag Code does not exclude any citizen, whether they belong to an organization or not, whether they are recognized very locally or regionally. Examples of deceased citizens that might be honored with by lowering the Flag to half-staff include local religious leaders, youth leaders, honored teachers or sports coaches, local politicians, or a local hero. There need be no authorization from the government for the private sector (non-government) to use the Flag to honor any citizen. It is important to note that the Flag Code is a code, it is intended to provide guidance and is not obligatory. It carries no civil or criminal penalties for "misuse" of the Flag. Individual are not acting illegally when using the Flag according to their own usage. Only on government / public building is the flag code required to be followed

Read more: http://www.gettysburgflag.com/FlyFlagHalfMast.php#ixzz1mc38r9qA

I was just looking for a bit of clarification............

sparks

MountainDon

She had a great voice, but other than was no better than the run of the mill person.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Woodsrule

This is a bad idea for alot of reasons. First, every two-bit performer, celebrity or athlete's family will now expect to be so honored. Next, who is to say who will be son honored and what is the criteria? Also, it may be legal to do this, but flying a flag at half mast is usually reserved for fallen officers, service members or prominent public servants. Whitney Houston meets none of these criteria and I think that Governor Christie was dead wrong in this.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: MountainDon on February 17, 2012, 12:28:29 AM
She had a great voice, but other than was no better than the run of the mill person.

I'm a fan of her voice years ago, but she had descended into being a drug addict on the verge of bankrupcy.  I think at the end of her life she was substantially lower in class than the run of the mill person.  I would not lower a flag for a person that I would not leave a family member alone with.  She abused drugs, and killed herself due to an overdose.  That is not an honorable end to a life, and the ordered lowering of a flag sets a bad precedent. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"