Wiring in exposed beam ceiling

Started by walkerwr, January 22, 2009, 07:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwr

What is the best way to conceal wiring in exposed beam ceiling like the one in MaineRhino's cabin?  I read through his post and in one of the pictures it appears that the wire may be in a "routed trough" on top of the beam the down through a hole drilled into the trough.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Randy

glenn kangiser

John has mentioned a built up beam with a smaller 2x in the center leaving a trough down the center for the wire as one idea.

I like the industrial look and use armored cable. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

With mine I used a circular saw set to a predetermined depth.  Multiple passes to create the channel mid center of the beam. I went with a 3/4" depth and about the same width.  That allowed for the wire to be stapled to the bottom of the chase.  I would have used a router but I would have much better control over the saw than the router.  One slip and it could ruin your beam.  Most likely you will not be running that heavy of a wire since the majority will be for ceiling lights ( 3 way included in mine) .  Unless you have an extra high ceiling by mounting the lights at the bottom of the beams dependent on the size of your fixture you might be too low.  As for me I am going with lights between the beams so I located where the lights would be and then cut a small kerf from the wire chase to the outside of the beam at the top or ceiling part of the beam. Which ever side is not used can be plugged and will appear as a knot.

You have to be 100% certain on the location of the light because once the T&G is installed there is no turning back to change.  As a safety feature I exited on both sides of the beam and layed an extra jumper wire from one side to the other in case I changed my mind.  If you decided you can just pull it out. 

Use caution when nailing the subfloor or T&G down that you don't penetrate the wire.   

MaineRhino

Actually it is 2, 2x rough-cut hemlock that the ceiling lights hang from, and the wiring is just laid between the two. I may eventually box it in though....