5 Gal emergency bucket-o-food. What would you put in yours?

Started by NM_Shooter, February 13, 2009, 10:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

A deck of cards wouldn't hurt or take up a lot of space.

MountainDon

I agree that anchovies are flavorful, however my primary reason for picking sardines is their protein content. The ones I buy, Crown Prince have 24 to 26 gr of protein per 3.75 ounce can. (varies by the catch) It's hard to find anything else with such a high protein content that will keep forever.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: StinkerBell on March 27, 2009, 10:55:50 AM
A deck of cards wouldn't hurt or take up a lot of space.

I suppose I could eat them if I had enough catchup. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Yes Yes, the cards are not food. If one is in a flood, for instnace (I assume that a sealed bucket would be impervious to water) and they have their bucket, they also have something to do to keep them busy so they do not eat their food out of boredom.

glenn kangiser

d*  Why didn't I think of that. hmm

I guess that's why you get the big bucks, eh? :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

tanya

My bucket will have coffee, chocolate chips, cheeze it crackers and shelled walnuts.  A water filter and lots of seeds for sprouting or toasting.  Powdered eggs, and milk and cocoa powder. Tea candles and matches and a lighter too.  A blank notebook and pencil, and a small plastic tarp and a knife and toilet paper. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Jens

How about seeds for a garden?  2 lbs of flour?  Don't know about you, but that would last my family about 1/2 week!  For us, are most important things would be grains, beans, lentils, seeds, pack of lighters, flint (for when the lighters finally run out).  I'd forget about the yeast, as you can leaven your own bread without it, use the space for flour instead.  Spices, sugar (although neither are necessities), and that is about it for living as long as possible. 

The most important thing to me would be a decent stock of tools.  Both for building/repairing dwellings, and making tools.  A treadle powered sewing machine would be handy too.  I have a bit too much total apocalyptic thought when it comes to this too though :)
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

StinkerBell

Quote from: peternap on March 28, 2009, 05:25:22 PM
I cheated today and bought 2 cases of MRE's. :P
Good thing about MRE' is you really do not needs as much TP! heh

Jens

I started talking to my wife about this thread, and a funny thing happened.  The subject turned to the question, "what if we woke up tomorrow, and were the only humans left?"  It was then expanded with different scenarios such as, what if global pop was down to 10% of current, etc, etc...all kinds of logistical problems arise!  From the simple, how do you get rid of all the perishable food in houses so that you don't end up with vermin problems; and, what about all the crazy dogs in the neighborhood; to, what about nuclear reactor melt downs; and, how does one family repopulate the earth?  With just my wife and me in the conversation, it lasted for over an hour. 

Just thought you'd like to know the things a topic like this brings up!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

Not that you could fit any significant amount in a 5 gallon pail along with other stuff, something to consider as a part of your emergency gear would be aseptic packaged milk. You can buy it in 8 ounce and 1 liter containers. No refrigeration needed. The best before date is usually only a year or so out, but you can cycle it's use into camping trips and such that can help you with the rotation. It is not cheap compared to regular milk, but it is good tasting and available in whole and 1% plus chocolate and strawberry flavors. Amazon.com grocery sells Horizon and Organic Valley brands by the case. It's a good deal if you avail yourself of the Prime member plan.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

I've been playing with some of the ideas I saw here. I tried Sardines in oil for breakfast this morning. Blood is 89 ;)

I did buy some dried Anchovies at the Chinese market yesterday. Haven't tried them yet. For Dinner last night, I had scrambled eggs and anchovies (My wife wouldn't cook them) I love anchovies. It was not only good, 2 hours later....blood was 91.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

pagan

Jens,

Seeds, yup, I honestly never would have thought of that, but you're right on target for planning on long term survival with seeds.

Regarding your conversation with your wife, I've been trying to get my wife to look at some possibilities with a rapid and drastic population reduction. Specifically, what would that mean to all that we need to live. She's not where I am, but she's starting to come around, and let's face it, preparing really isn't all that expensive.

MountainDon

I was somehow under the impression that this was a "Bug Out Bucket",  ???  supplies for a short period of time. In that case ready to use things like pasta, rice, sardines, dried potatoes are better candidates than goats and bees.

Long term could make better use of wheat berries, etc.

pagan

If this is "Bug Out" stuff than I'd be going MREs all the way. Light, compact, high calorie count, and specifically designed for mobility. Think of what's easiet to carry and prepare.

MountainDon

My interpretation could be wrong, but when I saw "5 gallon bucket", I equated that to my Rubbermaid storage boxes. One has a variety of foods. One has a one burner stove, fuel, basic lightweight campware, matches, etc. Another has clothing plus there are ready to go jugs of water. This is my "how can I be assured of something to eat" if I had to evacuate my home because of something like the current flood situation in Fargo, ND, the hurricanes of Katrina and Ike, the wildfires of California, and so on, without having to reply on restaurants or FEMA.

Long term food for survival seems to me to be beyond the needs that one can pack in a 5 gallon bucket or two. As for myself, I don't like MRE's. I like the convenience part, but I don't like the food and the expense. I would rather eat canned sardines and baked beans, dried potatoes (try them, they are quite good), peanut butter, rice, pasta and so on. And call me crazy, I even have a couple cans of Dinty Moore beef stew and a block of Velveeta in that kit. As I said someplace before once a year I replenish the goods with newly purchased and give the "old" to the local charity food storehouse.

pagan

I think a major consideration of any "Bug Out" stuff would be transportation. If you know you'll have an open road to evacuate on, or as I'm sure Don will be, a few days ahead of the ball dropping, then you can certainly pack heavier items. If, on the other hand, you anticipate having to move on foot then careful consideration should be given to the camping products. Some of the freeze dried food tastes really good, not to mention it's light, easily packed and prepared, and will keep you alive.

MountainDon

If I had to move on foot I'd be concentrating on carrying water (high mesa desert country where we call home), high energy food (like my peanut and almond butters), weather appropriate clothing and my lightweight 45. I hope I never have to do that.

Jens

Just put as many cans of Guinness as you can fit, then fill in the empty spaces with Bushmills...don't forget a glass for the Guinness.  One pint = one meal + enjoyment until the cavalry gets there.

firefox

I'm with you Jens. Once I switched to stout, I have a hard time drinking beer.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Source_to_Sea

Great thread. The five-gallon bucket is the cornerstone of alot of our storage and other use around here.

Depending on what your goals for this are, you probably want to have a mix of canned stuff (heat/cooking optional) and dried stuff.

My wife and I used Gamma Lids on five-gallon food buckets when we paddled the Mississippi River. They were opened multiple times a day, and exposed to freezing temps, heat, rain, thunderstorms, and constant UV for 73 days and never leaked a drop. I can't say enough good things about them, and their only around $6 each if you shop around.  Great product.

glenn kangiser

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 27, 2009, 08:17:59 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/print.php?id=D98DCLJG0&show_article=1

Others see a problem

Good article Glenn!

Speaking of food and other stuff, I sealed several thousand rounds of ammunition (for guns that I don't have...I just want to keep the ammo out of the hands of criminals and donate it to the police if they need it ::))...a couple of weeks ago. About half the bags lost their vacuum.

I called Food Saver this morning. Nice people. They checked all the usual's and then told me it was probably a bad roll...and sent out a new one. Good customer service.