Uh-oh- the 'S' word

Started by MushCreek, November 01, 2014, 05:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

November 1st, and it's snowing like crazy- in South Carolina! That's not a good sign. Luckily, I just finished the outside of the house, so I'll be working on  the interior this winter, with full insulation and central heat. As usual, the weather man blew the forecast, giving us a 5% chance of a few flakes mixed in with the rain, and yet there a few inches of snow on the ground.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

We've probably got about 3", some friends in Asheville said it is about 4-5 there. It's that strong reminder to get up everything outside before it disappears. We have the parts to a high tunnel scattered up and down the hill. Doesn't look like we'll be building that this weekend. Just threw another log on the fire, stole the cream off the top for my coffee, and am closely monitoring the situation... from this side of the window  :)

Adam Roby

Quote from: MushCreek on November 01, 2014, 05:37:18 AM
...snowing like crazy- in South Carolina!

I had no idea you got snow that far south... I can see in the mountains but sheesh!  I am in Canada and it is raining today.  Not exactly warm outside but at least it's not the terrible white depressing stuff.

MountainDon

It's not distributed along lines that make any sense. We still have just barely dipped below freezing for an hour or so here and there over the past couple weeks up at 8800 feet in our mountains. No snow yet, but we did have a smattering of hail during a rain. I know it will come soon enough. 41 F at 7 AM today.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

We are expecting the S Word tomorrow.  But received a dusting of the S word just the other day but was gone as fast as it arrived.....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

We got the S word this evening earlier than they predicted.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MushCreek

Columbia SC got a couple inches of snow yesterday- the earliest recorded. Weird storm. We had very little here, yet north and south of us got a fair amount. This is my first winter in 3 years with insulation and heat, so I'm enjoying it a lot more.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

MountainDon

"S" forecast for the mountains here tonight along with 25 F.  Only "up to a half inch possible".
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Here is what our possible 1/2 inch looked like

Don_P

It is pretty as long as it leaves quick  :) We were 28 this morning, I'll find out tomorrow whether the plumbing survived at work. We had planned to help the homeowner move the laundry and bathroom out/ winterize the pressure tank and stuff I'll try to leave in place this week. We warmed to 40 today and the snow is gone, supposed to warm up next week. We're pinched between the close high and low today so its been quite windy. I heard the Smokies got a foot.

Adam Roby

We had a relatively warm day today (39 F approx) so we decided to go look at another cabin in the mountains.  Didn't factor in the elevation and all the roads up there were covered in snow and ice.  The place we were looking at was on the side of a cliff so either a steep slope up the driveway or a 100 step climb using stairs.  Turns out the old summer tires were not up to the task... could barely make it in a straight and level area never mind a slope.  The running shoes did not fare much better on the steps... and it was daing cold... then we call the owner to find out when they were going to show up to let us in... the old man said he didn't want to waste his time so was waiting to see if we liked the outside before driving up to let us in to see the inside... 1 hour and 20 minute drive... didn't much feel like waiting and he didn't seem too concerned about letting us in... so he said, just look in the windows then let me know what you think.  Gotta wonder how people ever sell anything...

All that to say... winter tires are being installed next week so long as I can find a garage that has a spot.