building inspectors and paper work

Started by FrankInWIS, February 16, 2008, 10:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWIS

Question.... I only got one inspection from my building inspector...that was the expectation when I got the permit for my garage w/loft (storage).  He came by and did his thing.  Everything went well except one big thing.... we discussed that here already.   
He did two stickers at one time.... one sticker had like red color and said "failed" and mentioned the failed part.  Then he put up another color sticker and it said "Passed All Rough Ins".  The first sticker noted the issue he had (with the weight the dormer placed on the trusses) while the second sticker cleared me for insulation et al.  I am located at he farthest distance he travels to do these, the inference is he would not have to come back.   I did promise to do a few things...which I will.  I also promised to send him the truss layout drawing from the mfgr.  ( a pretty basic fax of the truss layout....leaving the wholes for the dormers, but not noting it on the drawing). 
ANYWAY.....I wonder if he really expects or wants any followup sent to him.  What I wanted to ASK here was if I got the "All Roughins Passed" sticker he took out of his book, is there MORE paperwork, or do I just get the stickers and he keeps the records?  I guess I am asking what you get from your inspector when you pass your rough in inspection?   Official paperwork, or just the stickers left behind.
This is not a residense yet (although it wired to house code and has heat already) but it is apparant the upper will be conected to my home-to-be that will be put up in a few years. 

ScottA

The stickers is probly all you'll ever get. What's important is what he put in the computer back at the office. Keep the stickers just incase. I've had jobs the got passed but never got put in the computer. The tag left by the inspector was needed to prove the inspection was done and passed. They do make mistakes.

glenn kangiser

You should get a certificate of occupancy after final to be official -- you may want to call and ask him.  You may not want to cover anything he had issues with until you ask-- if already covered don't tear anything up until you ask -- he may be easy
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWIS

I think the inspecter has been good to work with.  Seems like nice guy, came out on a Saturday, didn't drag a lot of plans out of me, a little advise thrown in,  not too inquisitive about pipes coming in to non plumbed building, etc.  Think he was mostly helping and wanted to be sure I'd follow up on the one concern he had, which I only 1/2 share.   Thanks guys for the helpful feedback, it has been good.