Looking for 16x24 w/loft plans

Started by paul s, October 22, 2019, 01:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul s

Something with reasonable head room in loft .  Thinking storage area and guest sleeping area.

Does this site have such plans?

I could not find exactly that.
Thank you
Paul

Don_P

This is a 16x28 studio layout we are building.

The attic is really storage here. Stairs would take up too much room so we'll do a pull down set. At 12/12 roof pitch, 45 degree angle, every foot in is a foot up. Deducting about 6" for rafter bearing and a foot of height for floor, under the ridge is only around 6'6" at 16' wide.

Sketchup here if you want a base file to play with;
timbertoolbox.com/cp/patrick6.18.19.skp

I think Migraine's current build is the same footprint.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

Heard something funny from our fire guys here in Mariposa. One told me there montra use to be, "we save foundations"

I told them, that is because you are not here until 24 hours later :(
"we go where the power lines don't"

paul s

Can the 14x24 plan on this site be built with a single sloped 3/12 pitch roof?
2x? 16 feet long for roof rafters?
Paul

MountainDon

Quote from: paul s on October 28, 2019, 05:05:54 PM
Can the 14x24 plan on this site be built with a single sloped 3/12 pitch roof?
2x? 16 feet long for roof rafters?
Paul

A single slope would be called a shed roof.  What is your general geographic location?  Snow load is what matters most for calculating the rafters. Also what roofing do you want to use?  There are minimum pitches for some types of roofing materials and possibly special installation requirements for some types.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

paul s

Snow load here per building inspector is 30 lbs/ SF

What type of roofing can be used for 3/12 pitch?
Ty

MountainDon

There is a handy span calculator available here.  Chose species by what is readily available locally. The grade is often #2. For example, S-P-F #2 would be able to span slightly more than 14 feet when used on 24" centers.  That is the code approved minimum. It never hurts to use something larger r perhaps 16" OC instead of 24" OC.

As for what to use on a 3:12 pitch, I am not an expert roofer.  I would recommend researching whatever it is you might prefer for appearance. Again there will be minimums... shingles are often okay for 4:12 and steeper. Some may be okay at 3:12 but may not be best in windy conditions where the wind can blow the water up the slope. One solution there may be to use ice and water barrier over the full roof.  I used ribbed metal panels on a low pitch barn roof. The manufacturer said it was okay if I used a butyl tape sealant where all the panel edges overlapped the adjacent sheet. Roll roofing is sometimes used for low pitches.

paul s

Don, thanks a bunch, I did not know that span calculator was here,now I have all the pieces to pull together a plan

If all goes well, will build or rehab in July of 2020 or 2021.

If I build, 14 x 36 for me and future wife, again thank you

Paul

paul s

The loft is not going to be, so a bit bigger and simple roof, easy on my body for last build
Thank again